christian bashing on t.v.

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:30 pm
if you dont like what you see on tv, change the channel .
Freedom of speech covers the airwaves as well..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:32 pm
unless you are a christian with an agenda, then you need to control what others see and hear.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
I'd like to see a bashing show just to see what it's about.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
Well, my channel will never stop on that show. I probably would have never said a thing about it to anyone (other than the TV executives) if it had not been brought up on this thread to just engage in a discussion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
I know it's hard to take me serious when I have an avatar like mine.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
You have a very nice avatar, Husker. Just the colours are a bit strange.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:40 pm
psst ... folks ... it's just a TV show ... it's not real. Wanna get angry about something? Get angry about real threats to civil rights, freedom and justice. It's a freakin' TV show. It'll be off the air in a year, most likely (the vast majority of TV shows are).

It's a TV show. It's fiction. That means it's make-believe. It's not real. It's not important. Really, not in the grand scheme of things, and even in the not so grand scheme of things.

What you have for supper tonight is more important.

It's just TV. It's hack writers looking to titillate an audience and make a bunch of bucks. It's not important.

It's just TV.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:40 pm
There are a lot of shows on TV that I consider infantile, stupid, and beneath my dignity. I vote with my remote control (when I can get it away from my husband. Laughing )

Quote:
I probably would have never said a thing about it to anyone (other than the TV executives) if it had not been brought up on this thread to just engage in a discussion.

Are you saying that you contacted the TV execs about a show that you have never seen?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:43 pm
when the gods speak to you, you don't wait for reality to happen. You move in mysterious ways to contact the t.v. people and let them know you are offended. Truth is meddlesome and you should never let it get in the way.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:44 pm
Phoenix,

I contacted them and asked them if what was posted in the original post of this thread was true. I am not assuming it is or isn't. I am waiting to hear from them about my inquiry.

jespah,

It's just TV? I remember when the worst thing on TV was Laugh In. I remember when you couldn't swear on TV. I remember when there were actually more shows that a family could watch together than not. It is a big deal. It may not seem like it, as this one individual thing, but these things add up.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:47 pm
Momma,
Just remember that we live in this world, but we do not have to be of this world. That said, it is up to us to decide what we will allow into our lives and what we will not. Those things that we decide not to let in will still be there, we must use avoidance and realize that they will not go away.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm
well said Intrepid.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:50 pm
I am sorry your faith does not bring you more peace and comfort, Momma Angel.

I'm trying to imagine how long Christianity would have survived if Christ's trials consisted of nothing more than verbal abuse from non-believers.

The intolerance of disagreement, which is so common among believers in both Christianity and Islam, is one of the many reasons I loathe faith-based initiatives and fear theocracies. The founding fathers were never more right than when designing a governing framework separating church and state. Of course you have every right to be offended by the mockery and ridicule expressed here, even if your repeated expression of that view serves no purpose other than to insure the continued alienation of people in the opposite camp, making them thankful you and your fellow zealots are unable to use the government to force them to submit to your version of reality.

Personally, I don't think God exists. But if He does, I think He is probably big enough to overlook the ramblings of lost souls expressing the free will that He supposedly gave us, and capable of defending Himself without help from the little people if He isn't.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:02 pm
Greyfan,

My faith DOES bring me plenty of peace and comfort. Just because I express my views about things doesn't mean it doesn't. Just because I am not locked in my closet praying does not mean it does not bring me peace and comfort.

I have plenty of comfort. I am very comfortable knowing there is a God and that He loves me. I am very comfortable knowing what He wants for me in my life. He gives me more peace than this world ever could or would. I rely on Him and not on mankind.

Whether people are alienated by what I post or not is not of great concern to me. I try to get along with everyone I can but if they don't like it, they don't like it.

I have to live in this world and as long as I do have to live in this world, I will make my desires known just as everyone else does. I don't go standing on corners carrying signs Christians are accused of carrying. I engage in discussions in this forum to try to gain a better understanding of others.

But, I'm not sure I will ever understand how anyone would think making fun of God or His Word is okay with Him.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:06 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

But, I'm not sure I will ever understand how anyone would think making fun of God or His Word is okay with Him.

Perhaps that's best left between God and the one who made the joke...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
Another justification for bad behavior? Yes, it's between God and the originator. But it is still offensive to me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:50 pm
ma SAID
Quote:
He's a dangerous homophobic, bigoted buffool in your eyes only because you don't believe in the laws of God IMO.

not so momma. Anyone, be they religious or not, has no right to
stir up" the feelings against ordinary folks as does rev Dr Falwell.
Lemme see, Hes wished evil and calamity on a small town in Pa cause they didnt vote "his way"

Hes advocated "whacking a leader of a country7" not less than 3 times

Hes justified the flooding of Nawlins as "Gods punishment" on the Big Easy.

Hes taken the beautiful message of Christianity and turned it into a wild eyed instrument of some weird kind of vengeance.

If you follow his leadership, i suggest deep reconsideration and analysis of your faith, youve twisted it all up. IMHO
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:57 pm
Farmerman,

I have stated over and over and over again that I do not follow his form of Christianity. However, I do believe the things he says are sins against God as pointed out in the Bible, are just that.

I'm pleased that you used "the beautiful message of Christianity." At least someone seems to understand that it is the message that is important and not what everyone says it is according to their own desires.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:06 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Not everyone considers those hours of Christian TV the same as some of you do. And dys and D'artagnan, your statements are just more justification for your behavior and nothing more IMO.

Let me ask you something, it has been pointed out numerous times that in the Old Testament God punished the generations to come of those that sinned. Well, quite a few of you seemed pretty outraged at that. Isn't that what you are doing now? Punishing the Christians of today for what Christianity has done over the years? And you wonder why Christians would be upset at this? You have been told over and over again that we are no longer under the laws of the Old Testament. But, yet you apply those punishments of the old laws to Christianity today. So, which is it? You want it the way it is in the Old Testament or you don't? You can't have it both ways.

I may be overreacting in your eyes, but not in mine. If all of Christianity kept silent and just let those of you who do not believe in it trash it the way you do, there would be no more Christianity, and I am sure that would please at least some of you.

Oh yeah, you are all very funny. God forbid a Christian would offend any of you, and all you do is laugh and make justifications for your behavior when we are offended. Rolling Eyes

Shall we go read the Atheists...Your Life is Pointless thread agai

I wasn't offended. I thought it hysterically funny.

In a sad sort of way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:09 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Greyfan,

My faith DOES bring me plenty of peace and comfort. Just because I express my views about things doesn't mean it doesn't. Just because I am not locked in my closet praying does not mean it does not bring me peace and comfort.

I have plenty of comfort. I am very comfortable knowing there is a God and that He loves me. I am very comfortable knowing what He wants for me in my life. He gives me more peace than this world ever could or would. I rely on Him and not on mankind.

Whether people are alienated by what I post or not is not of great concern to me. I try to get along with everyone I can but if they don't like it, they don't like it.

I have to live in this world and as long as I do have to live in this world, I will make my desires known just as everyone else does. I don't go standing on corners carrying signs Christians are accused of carrying. I engage in discussions in this forum to try to gain a better understanding of others.

The thing that you so signally fail to grasp, MA, and which, in its reality, you appear incapable of grasping, is that we don't BELIEVE in "him"...so what this imaginary construct might "think" is immaterial.

And, I don't think people are making fun of the construct, sometimes people like to make fun of some of the dumber foibles of those who believe they are doing "his" bidding.
0 Replies