christian bashing on t.v.

ebrown p

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:20 pm
I don't know. If I were writing a show, I might want this attempted censorship.

I would almost certainly not have watched the pilot if it weren't for the AFA. I suspect that there are thousands of people who are the same.

If only it were a decent show, the AFA would have given it a chance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:27 pm
Anybody remember the protests over the airing of NYPD Blue? Before it hit the screen, people were up in arms. Advertisers were withholding their dollars. After a short time, it became ensconced along with the other shows and the protests virtually forgotten. Similar beginning for All in the Family. It will be thus for the show in question, I will bet.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
From "Arts, Briefly" column in 25 January NYT. "NBC has pulled the low-rated "Book of Daniel" starring Aidan Quinn as an Episcopal priest from its schedule after airing four of its eight planned episodes"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:42 am
Look, tempest in a teapot.

A teapot that is orbiting the planet, of course.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:46 am
Think of the bright side. When their is nothing terrible going on in the news, people pick on nonsense on which to focus. Better a lousy TV show, than a real disaster!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:51 am
A few more details on the cancellation from NY Daily News:

Inner Tube

NBC closes the book on
'Daniel' after 3 shows
Low ratings and difficulty attracting advertisers doomed NBC's edgy family drama "Book of Daniel." The network pulled the Friday night series after three installments.

d.

The series averaged a disappointing 7.6 million viewers in three outings and drew fire from conservative groups, including the Tupelo, Miss.,-based American Family Association, which urged NBC's affiliate stations not to air the show. In the end, nine stations in small markets pulled the series. There are no plans to air the remaining episodes of "Daniel."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:55 am
It bugs me a little bit that the Conservative Christian groups think that they had anything to do with the show's failure.

It was just a dismally boring show 'sall.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:57 am
I never got to actually see it. And this Christian didn't do a danged thing to stop them from airing it. :wink: Laughing

(DISCLAIMER: The smileys are to indicate that I was making a joke. Laughing )
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:03 am
I stated early in the thread before the first episode aired that it would probably fail. It just didn't seem appealing. Also, the law of averages for successful new shows was against it. I watched the first two shows and found it stupid and boring but not offensive except to my intelligence.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:08 am
Thanx for telling us that flyboy. I am glad to hear it wasn't what the rumors indicated it would be.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 05:52 am
It wasn't a fair test. An entertaining show with popular actors should have been created so we could really see what will and won't play on TV.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 06:15 am
A dumb show is a dumb show, no matter what the premise.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 06:58 am
That's why I specified an entertaining show.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:23 am
It's not that easy. If it were, the "pros" would not put so much money into so many "bombs" every season.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
flyboy804 wrote:
It's not that easy. If it were, the "pros" would not put so much money into so many "bombs" every season.

True. I would love to find some stats as to how many TV shows go on the air, and what percentage last a few programs, a few months, one season, etc. I would bet that only a tiny percentage of shows last for more than one season, and an even smaller percentage last more than five seasons.

I thought that Dick Wolf (Law & Order) could do nothing wrong. Last year's L&O "Trial by Jury" died after only one season.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Just a quick question, has anyone seen The Crumbs with Jane Curtain and William Devane? What did you think?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:43 am
The concept of "bombs" must have brought "Crumbs" to mind. It is horrible. I saw two episodes (I never give up after one) and was surprised as to how bad it was. I don't ever recall having disliked Jane Curtin in a TV show. That string is now broken. Her character is ridiculous and her acting poor. Fred Savage is as cute as he was as a juvenile, but that didn't enable him to make an under written character believable or likeable. If you want to give it a try out of curiosity, do it quickly. It won't last long.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:49 pm
more fireworks
Quote:
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A conservative advocacy group that urged a boycott of NBC's recently canceled drama about a pill-popping priest turned its wrath Thursday to an upcoming "Will & Grace" episode that it says will mock Christ's crucifixion.

Quote:
According to NBC's initial synopsis of the episode, Jack's fictional TV network, Out TV, is taken over by a Christian broadcaster, leading Spears' character to do a cooking segment on his show called "Cruci-fixin's."

Quote:
The American Family Association immediately raised objections to the planned episode, saying it "mocks the crucifixion of Christ" and
will "further denigrate Christianity" by airing the night before Good Friday.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/03/leisure.willgrace.reut/
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:55 pm
Oh my. This is not coming at a good time, Husker. So many upset about what is going on with the Muslims who have been so offended. I sincerely hope that this does not happen. But, if it does air, I won't watch it. That's our best defense.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:57 am
I don't believe that anytime would be a good time for such action. Also, Momma Angel, would you be watching "Will and Grace" even without this hullabaloo?
0 Replies