Vietnam Vet Upsets Army Recruiters

englishmajor

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:19 pm
MoAn,

Having a suggestion made to you to travel, to gain insight on other people-human beings, like you, on this PLANET, is not being hit on the head with a baseball bat. It is something everyone, within their budget, should do. It's another kind of education, one that you cannot get from TV or books. Most of the planet does not have it as great as North America. Seeing how other people live on a daily basis, like Jesus did - he travelled quite a bit - will make you change your tune as to how American's are viewed. You are only hearing one side, and that's the only side you want to hear. Whatever, just don't mind being called ignorant, because that is what you are if you refuse to be educated by the best teacher - travelling. And a mind that is open.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:24 pm
No one likes America??? Explain: 1. Why we still have an influx of immigrants
2. Why every time there is a problem in the worl, people always ask the US for help.
Oh yea thats right were killers.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:24 pm
You know, I was actually reading that post with some enthusiasm there for a minute. I wasn't talking about the travelling thing being a baseball bat. I was talking about the words like clueless jerk, stupid and pathetic.

And then you start in again. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is capable of doing the traveling you are speaking of? You have no idea as to what I hear about this country. I read your stuff. I read the newspaper, I do a lot of reading. I really am an educated person.

Then you infer I have a closed mind. One could say the same of you. You are just more forceful with your words than I am.

Happy New Year!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:27 pm
I recently returned from Austria and I had no animosity directed towards me even though my German is sub par. I had great conversations with many locals even after they found out I was from America. Believe it or not people can be judged by who they are not where they are from.

If America is not liked by the world as you say why is this true?

wikipedia wrote:
Chicago has the largest ethnically Polish population outside of Polish capital of Warsaw, making it one of the most important Polonia centers. It is also considered to be the second-largest Serbian city in the world after Belgrade (which has a population of two million).

And that is just Chicago.

As far as recruiters are concerned I am sure some have used unscrupulous methods to attract new soldiers, but you do have to be 18 to enlist and it is their own decision to do so. Everyone I know that has been in the military made their decision long before they talked to a recruiter.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:11 pm
ralpheb wrote:
No one likes America??? Explain: 1. Why we still have an influx of immigrants
2. Why every time there is a problem in the worl, people always ask the US for help.
Oh yea thats right were killers.

Oh brother......who, mainly are your immigrants? Would they be from a country called Mexico? Canada, on the other hand has a larger influx of Muslims, Chinese and Indians (from India).

Yeah, if you're not careful, those Mexicans are going to take California back. Laughing

Who asks the US for help? Give me an example. The last time you needed help it came in the form of Canadians, who were, by the way, the first to arrive on the scene in New Orleans.

No one wants to ask the US for help. Because the US arrives with troops and begins to take over.

Canada has always been there for any country in the world, minus the military and weapons to kill the citizens, even with our limited resources of people. We only have 31 million. The state of Calif has 38 million.

So, who asked the US for help? When?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:24 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
You know, I was actually reading that post with some enthusiasm there for a minute. I wasn't talking about the travelling thing being a baseball bat. I was talking about the words like clueless jerk, stupid and pathetic.

And then you start in again. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is capable of doing the traveling you are speaking of? You have no idea as to what I hear about this country. I read your stuff. I read the newspaper, I do a lot of reading. I really am an educated person.

Then you infer I have a closed mind. One could say the same of you. You are just more forceful with your words than I am.

Happy New Year!

yeah same to you. yahoo to 2006. And more of Bush and his cabal.

List of some suggested reading material, other than corp. subsidized media newspapers (and we know who they support)

Gore Vidal - any of his books
Noam Chomsky-any of his books, esp. on Amer. empire
Mark Hertsgaard ('Shadow of the Eagle'. Your library should have it).
Christian Science Monitor

I listen to Rush Limbaugh too, altho I think he's one of the biggest jerks in the Universe. Is he off of the drugs, now?

A balanced view is the best view. If you listen to only one side you end up with a narrow view- closed mind- whatever. I do think most Americans are afraid of what's going on but they don't know how to stop it. So they put on the blinders. Educate yourself, read 'right' and 'left' stuff. It's not illegal, yet.

I quite understand that not everyone puts travel as a priority. Americans have one of the lowest passport applications of any country - wonder why.

Well, at least I can go to Cuba, and plan to. No Americans there Laughing
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:39 pm
sublime1 wrote:
I recently returned from Austria and I had no animosity directed towards me even though my German is sub par. I had great conversations with many locals even after they found out I was from America. Believe it or not people can be judged by who they are not where they are from.

I didn't make up the term 'ugly American'.

If America is not liked by the world as you say why is this true?

See Above.

wikipedia wrote:
Chicago has the largest ethnically Polish population outside of Polish capital of Warsaw, making it one of the most important Polonia centers. It is also considered to be the second-largest Serbian city in the world after Belgrade (which has a population of two million).

And that is just Chicago.

So? What has that to do with anything? Canada has more Chinese, Indians, and Muslims than America per capita. And they all get along.

As far as recruiters are concerned I am sure some have used unscrupulous methods to attract new soldiers, but you do have to be 18 to enlist and it is their own decision to do so. Everyone I know that has been in the military made their decision long before they talked to a recruiter.

Oh come on. What 18 year old ever knew what he wanted to do? At that age they think they are invincible. Ask a soldier who's come back from a battle and see if he/she thinks it's worth it. You bet your butt recruiters are unscrupulous; they are desperate. More are NOT joining than ARE joining. There's still the over 5000 AWOL's as well. People can only be lied to so long before they begin to figure it out. Bushie and his cabal LIE.
You would donate YOUR son or daughter to the fiasco in Iraq? Really?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:31 pm
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:57 am
UM, English Major? How many OIF vetrans would you like me to talk to? Hang on, I'll turn around and ask the ones I work with everyday. Or, do you want me to wait until I get back and then I will ask the 5 Battalions I work with. But only on weekends.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:46 pm
Talk to the 7000 oh so faithful.
Then talk to the over 5000 AWOL's.
Just to keep it in balance.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:50 pm
Chris Rock's quote of the year:
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named
Bush, Dick and Colon.
Need I say more?"
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:54 pm
Laughing Laughing Good one englishmajor
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:54 pm
Oh, I gotta hear this one. Where do you come up with 5000 awol's?
Or are they the cowards who only wanted the money and didn't have the courage to fulfill their end of the agreement?

Perhaps we should talk to the othe 900,000 that made and kept their commitment.
My bet is that this is one area where you should accept what the military believes in.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:09 pm
Maybe we should take a look at how many members of congress that support the war have a family member in Iraq.

Then take the number of families that have sons in Iraq that no longer support the war and contemplate the difference.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
Ok for those of you who can't figure this out, children of congressmen have been underrepresented in EVERY American war.

The loudest screamers do not represent the majority.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
Amigo wrote:
Maybe we should take a look at how many members of congress that support the war have a family member in Iraq.

Then take the number of families that have sons in Iraq that no longer support the war and contemplate the difference.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:24 pm
It takes a lot more courage to go against the 'sheeple' people and stand up for what you believe in, than to join the crowd who can't think for themselves. And we know who they are!

Any kid who decides to go AWOL has my respect. At least he values his life over the price of a barrel of oil.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:27 pm
and I'm sure there is not one single SUV in canada
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:55 pm
Momma I still can't send pm's. But yes you are invited to the big fireworks display.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:07 pm
I have my cooler of Coke's and popcorn! Just tell me where and when!
0 Replies