Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

J-B

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:42 pm
Many friends boasted Lord of the War in front of me, but honestly my appetite for action is dwindling.
0 Replies

J-B

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:44 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
I think JB is mixing up awful (= bad) and awesome (= good, in American vernacular).

Exactly.
Just like "terrible" and "terrific"...
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 12 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
Went to see Crash yesterday & left the theatre in a state of disorientation. It was quite an assault on the senses, that film! Later I read a number of reviews online. The main criticism seemed to be that coincidence played such a large part in the plot. Funny, that hadn't occurred to me at all. I wasn't seeing the film as a sort of super-realistic account of the lives of those people during one particular day at all .... to me, it was more of a thoughtful exploration of how underlying (or overt) racism could affect anyone at any time in such a community. And showed how it actually did affect the characters in the film. It is a very powerful film, indeed. Thinking about it later, it occurred to me how much more difficult, in such an environment, it would be to maintain one's ideals & try to live by one's principles than it is for us folk who don't regularly face nearly so many constant challenges in our lives.
0 Replies

AKUS

Thu 16 Mar, 2006 05:38 pm
A friend of mine recommended Lord of War. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to.

My recent films (that I've actually seen Laughing ) recommendations are:

Crash

Walk the Line

Millions
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 1 Apr, 2006 05:58 am
I loved this film! And thoroughly recommend it anyone interested in all things Indian. (Like me! Very Happy ) Water is set in India, in 1938. It's about the practice of removing widows from the life of the community, following the death of their husbands. Deepa Mehta, the director, was in town (Melbourne) to introduce this preview of the film. She talked about the political controversy raised by the film & the opposition of Hindu fundamentalists to its production. I'm so glad she was finally able to achieve her goals. It was a wonderful, engrossing experience. Just beautiful!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Water_POSTER.jpg/200px-Water_POSTER.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_(film)
0 Replies

barrythemod

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 07:04 am
Ice Age-The Meltdown...............Great fun Very Happy
0 Replies

vinsan

Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:13 am
I am dying to watch Ice Age.

Recent Hollywood Films I have seen, Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind.

Good One

Also a Hindi Film called TAXI No. 9 2 11. The script of the film has been asked by The Oscar Script Library for its uniqueness.
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:07 pm
Just curious, vinsan. Have you seen Water? Any thoughts?
0 Replies

vinsan

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:05 am
msolga wrote:
Just curious, vinsan. Have you seen Water? Any thoughts?

No. Ironically It isn't released in India. Due to the controversial topic.

But its illegal copies will be available soon. I will definitely watch it.

I liked Deepa Mehta Movies 1947-Earth (based on a novel "Ice Candy Man") & Fire (Lesbian Relationship) for her sensitive subject matters and skillful direction.

Whe Water was objected she wrapped the film and finished it in Outside India. The most shooting's d0ne in Srilanka, Malaysia and other Hindu places outside India.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:27 am
Not so new, but I recently watched Boondock Saints and enjoyed it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:49 am
Love Deepa Mehta. Been on a bit of a kick for her lately.

Watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon last night. The cinematography is fantastic.
0 Replies

mac11

Sat 8 Apr, 2006 04:33 pm
I saw Don't Come Knocking today. Directed by Wim Wenders, written by and starring Sam Shepard.

A spectacular film. I'll be thinking about it for a long time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:13 pm
Saw "The World's Fastest Indian" last night....loved it!

I'd think about catching it, Msolga.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 12:55 am
dlowan wrote:
Saw "The World's Fastest Indian" last night....loved it!

I'd think about catching it, Msolga.

Yes? You know, I'd never heard of it till you just mentioned it, Deb. Now I'm very interested! A few details, please?
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:26 am
ehBeth wrote:
Love Deepa Mehta. Been on a bit of a kick for her lately.

ehBeth & vinsan

I have only just discovered her work. I saw an an article in the paper saying that she would personally be opening the first screening of Water in Melbourne, along with a lot of other interesting information about her, so persuaded my friend, A, that this could be interesting. I was! It sounds like you'd both recommend Earth & Fire, then? (I guess I'll just have to try to track those 2 down on video. Probably not too easy!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:27 am
About an old New Zillun fella...Burt Munro....back in the sixties.

He had a classic Indian Scout moror cycle from the 20's, and was obsessed with making it the fastest of its kind.

Was determined to get to Bonneville, in Utah, and get it timed officially.

True story.

Aussie director...who now works from Hollywood, but has been obsessed with this story...made a doco about Burt as a film student

Anthony Hopkins as Burt.

http://news.google.com.au/news?q=The+World's+fastest+Indian&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=news&ct=title

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/worlds_fastest_indian/
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:42 am
Thanks for that, Deb. I have a great deal of admiration & affection for Anthony Hopkins, as an actor. Not much he's done that I haven't liked! But the Indian reference? Confused Ah, the motorcycle is Indian! (information courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes reviews) Ah, I see! I will definitely go see it. Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:22 am
Saw The Squid and the Whale yesterday. Family breakdown, as the result of divorce - in the 1980s. Very believable with some almost excruciatingly familiar situations. Bernard, the father, is an amazingly convincing creation. <shudder> Anyway, quite an involving film with <thankfully> some black humour to temper the angst a little.

FAMILY MATTERS
The Squid and the Whale"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sat 6 May, 2006 09:17 am
"Rent" and it's one of the best filmations of a stage musical I've ever seen, complete with mostly the original Broadway cast. A more sophisticated rock opera with a beautiful homage to "La Boheme."
0 Replies

olidude171717

Sun 7 May, 2006 12:17 pm
I Recommend Inside Man, ANd Good Night And Good Luck. Inside man is a interesting film about a bank robbery. It's not straight genre, and its a enjoyable, keeps you guessing wht's going to happen, flick. Good night and good luck is a fascinating, well done film with great acting, superb cinematography, and it works as a basic history lesson as well as social commentary.
0 Replies