Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

Paaskynen

Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:16 am
msolga wrote:
You've got my interest now, Paaskynen!
Can you tell us a bit more, please?

Well, Umur at IMDB
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:01 am
Thanks, Paaskynen.
I will look out for it. Sounds very interesting!
0 Replies

J-B

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:14 am
Artificial Intelligence and Mona Lisa Smile
They both made my eyes welled up before ending and revealed how a sentimental guy I really am Crying or Very sad

Amadeus
A must-see.
And I consider it to be a great tragedy, or two great tragedies, of both of the main characters, Salieri and Mozart. (I have noticed that Salieri is on the top of the cast list right above Mozart, make you think about something right?)
It is a remarkable idea to tell Mozart's tales from Herr Salieri's perspective. I also will never forget the final scene when the feeble but weirdly smiling Salieri passed through the corridor teeming with the ugly beasts of the hospital, with hands out like a statue of god and said: All mediocrities, I absolve you. Then Looked up, with hands crossed in his own face, Mozart's obscene and insane laughter replayed.
One question: Why the movie's name is Amadeus instead of Mozart?

The Shawshank Redemption
Also a must-see
(shocked to find out its adaptation was born in Steven King's ghostly hands Smile )

The Man in the Iron Mask
I love Jeremy Iron and John Malkovich(he is brilliant but seems not to be noticed)

http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif
0 Replies

J-B

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:28 am
Ahh, I have missed one which I will be never forgiven to miss.

Malena
It is rare that the Chinese translation of the name is even more beautiful than the original one: "The beautiful tale of Sicily"
Manny things will make you like this film (Only if you are not allergic to this kind of (very) open sex, I mean vocal and psychological sex :wink: )
Brilliant revelation of the young boy's...say, imagination and the lovely desire, hilariously played father, Monica's beauty (well, not appeal to me), Careful arrangments of the local people( all the woman are snoopers in great jealousy )'s conversation under the circumstances of Mussolini's paternal regime....
I love that.
It makes me happy, and not cheaply.
0 Replies

J-B

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:48 am
Some rubbish I recommend so that you don't really need to bother to watch:

Flightplan
I like the mysterious atmosphere it presented in the early half. But as soon as that air marshall made the whole mystery naked the movie certainly lost its appeal.

The Fifth Element
Never dare to imagine it is Luc Besson's film with this a bit silly idea. (Yeah, with Bruce Willis apart from three things how could you think out more, they are, action, action, and more action!). Maybe I haven't watched enough films of his? Anyway I most enjoy his The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. (Btw, is, or was that beautiful lady who was the main actress of both of these two movies really Mrs. Besson?)

Kingdom of the Heaven
he..he...
Ok, you know what I am going to talk about.

I love the novel. That is enlighting.
But the movie, I think with some present-day directors and new production methods it can be made more brilliant.
But why there is still scarce people who are willing to work on that? Do I really have to wait until 2084 to watch it? :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:18 am
We just watched Beyond the Sea with Keven Spacey last night.

I really loved it.

I know it didn't get good reviews, but I think maybe people under, let's say 35 or 40 weren't getting how it was done in the style of some of the films made back then...musicals where the outbreak of song and dance wasn't necessarily part of the plot. Fantasy scenes.

Oh - and dig those crazy threads!

I wish men wore suits like that now <sigh>
0 Replies

Chai

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:19 am
Plus - Keven Spacey. Hey come on. He's the best.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:22 am
I just watched The Constant Gardener last night. It was definitely worth checking out. Syriana was excellent too, if you like political films. Oh and Lord of War was awesome.
0 Replies

Francis

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:27 am
^JB^ wrote:
(Btw, is, or was that beautiful lady who was the main actress of both of these two movies really Mrs. Besson?)

One of my preferred actresses, Mila Jovovich:

http://www.vivavocefashion.com/PICTURES/beauty/features/mila_jovovich.jpeg
0 Replies

J-B

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:41 am
John Creasy wrote:
I just watched The Constant Gardener last night. It was definitely worth checking out. Syriana was excellent too, if you like political films. Oh and Lord of War was awesome.

I am sorry, I am not quite sure with the expression "awesome", so you are suggesting it is not worth watching?
0 Replies

J-B

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:46 am
Francis wrote:
^JB^ wrote:
(Btw, is, or was that beautiful lady who was the main actress of both of these two movies really Mrs. Besson?)

One of my preferred actresses, Mila Jovovich:

http://www.vivavocefashion.com/PICTURES/beauty/features/mila_jovovich.jpeg

She is beautiful, and graceful in her own fashion

Can't forget, when Joan riding a horse in front of the army, shouted with the fragile and determenined voice: "Everybody who loves me, FOLLOW ME!!"
0 Replies

John Creasy

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:28 am
^JB^ wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

I am sorry, I am not quite sure with the expression "awesome", so you are suggesting it is not worth watching?

Lol, it means great.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:06 pm
I think JB is mixing up awful (= bad) and awesome (= good, in American vernacular).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:24 pm
^JB^ wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

I didn't like War of the Worlds. I thought it was terrible. Not exciting at all in my opinion.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:55 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
^JB^ wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

I didn't like War of the Worlds. I thought it was terrible. Not exciting at all in my opinion.

Confused OK, I guess I won't go see it then.
0 Replies

Chai

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:20 pm
We was war of the worlds on dvd, it sucked.

I would have been pissed shelling out the bucks to see it in a theater.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:22 pm
John Creasy wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
^JB^ wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

Confused OK, I guess I won't go see it then.

I am an idiot.

For some reason, I thought you had typed War of the Worlds, not Lord of War....shoot. I am embarrassed now. Embarrassed

But even still, War of the Worlds sucked.

Lord of War might be good. Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:23 pm
OH - Lord of War....

I'm as big an idiot as Bella.

don't know anything about that one.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:38 pm
Very Happy That's ok. Lord of War is about an international arms dealer (played by Nicholas Cage). It's a good action movie and it also has a political message.
0 Replies

Chai

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:51 pm
ohohoh Lord of War.....still don't know anything.

I noticed my husband watching it..I remembered when you said Nicholas Cage.

He said it was pretty good.
0 Replies