Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:21 am
... because my holidays are coming up & I'd like to see quite a few films. Very Happy

This afternoon I saw Winter Solstice. I really liked it. A quiet little film about ordinary people overcoming setbacks & making moves to get on with in their lives. Nothing too dramatic or earth shattering, very day-to-day life. Anthony LaPaglia was really good. (I think I'm in love! Laughing ) Seriously, he was very impressive in his role as the father. I think this film might be at the DVD stage in the US but it's still in the theatres here in Oz.

http://www.thefilmpie.com/Reviews2005/zz-wintersolstice.html

... Anything of the four star variety that you'd care to recommend?

Letty

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:15 am
Hey, Ozzie,

This film is excellent:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59714&highlight=

If you like the horror genre, you might want to watch Skeleton Key.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:06 am
Winter Solstice sounds good. Recently, I like to recommend Crash.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
What's been on my INHD channel lately, with the best picture and sound one could hope for, has been a flurry of great oldies. "Diner," "Taxi Driver," "Mean Streets," "Auntie Mame" and Judy Garland's last movie "I Could Go on Singing" (not a four star movie but worth watching).
0 Replies

roverroad

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:48 am
I really liked "The Upside of Anger" (website) and a thriller called "The Jacket" (website)

I rent about 6 movies a week and those are the only two I can recommend.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:55 am
"The Upside of Anger" is absolutely the best film Costner has been in since "The Untouchables."
0 Replies

roverroad

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:57 am
I can't believe I forgot about "Mean Creek" (Website) Another great movie. And it was entirely filmed in Oregon, which makes it even better. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:39 pm
"Kiss, kiss, bang bang" is cleverly done, and entertaining...but mebbe a bit violent for Msolga's taste?
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:22 am
Letty wrote:

Crash.
Hmmmm ... A new one to me. I must investigate! Thanks, Letty!
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:23 am
Lash wrote:
Winter Solstice sounds good. Recently, I like to recommend Crash.

You too, Lash? This film has appeal!
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:28 am
Lightwizard wrote:
What's been on my INHD channel lately, with the best picture and sound one could hope for, has been a flurry of great oldies. "Diner," "Taxi Driver," "Mean Streets," "Auntie Mame" and Judy Garland's last movie "I Could Go on Singing" (not a four star movie but worth watching).

INHD, LW? One of those wonderful film channels you folk are blessed ith, I guess ... Lucky you.
I'm sure there'll be a few oldies from my DVD/Video shop, too! About time for a re-run of All About Eve, I reckon! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:32 am
roverroad wrote:
I really liked "The Upside of Anger" (website) and a thriller called "The Jacket" (website)

I rent about 6 movies a week and those are the only two I can recommend.

My, you must be an expert, roverroad! I'll have to check out those two, Completely unknown to me. (Not being an expert!) Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:36 am
dlowan wrote:
"Kiss, kiss, bang bang" is cleverly done, and entertaining...but mebbe a bit violent for Msolga's taste?

Nice title, Deb! Smile But you're right: I'm a mamby-pamby when it comes to violence. So how violent, on a scale of 1 to 10? I'll check out the reviews, though, & see what it's all bout.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:14 pm
I second the recommendation for Mean Creek! Very interesting.

In America was another good one, about an Irish immigrant family. Wonderful acting, one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while.

A really good one if you want something pretty off-beat (and a few years old now) is Spider. It has Ralph Fiennes, Gabriel Byrne and Miranda Richardson. One of my all-time fav movies!

Also very good is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. If you haven't seen it yet I'd definitely recommend renting it.

Let me know if you watch any of these, I love talking movies...now that I've thought of it I might have to start a thread to see who else has seen Spider, I'd love to hear some other opinions on that one! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:25 pm
Thanks, cyphercat. Very Happy

I loved Eternal Sunshine ...!

As for Mean Creek, I know absolutely nothing! I will definitely check it out!

.. & do keep talking movies! I'm listening! Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:59 pm
I recommend Pretty Persuasion, which just came out this month on DVD.
0 Replies

husker

Fri 23 Dec, 2005 12:01 am
American History X
0 Replies

Green Witch

Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:48 am
Ballets Russes - it's a very well dibe documentary about the 19-20th century ballet company. Even if you are not a ballet fan, the stories and visuals are interesting enough to keep anyone entertained.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:54 am
Now that a different & very interesting suggestion, Green Witch. Thanks!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:04 am
OldBoy

An asian suspence/drama.

There are points in the movie that make your stomach turn.
Then there are points where you just wanna cry and hold the characters

It is an emotional rollercoaster, and a very VERY well done plot. The actors , I believe, deserve many awards for their ability in this movie.

The set up of the movie is this man who is a real ass, gets abducted..
He gets released with a time frame to learn WHY he was abducted, or he will be killed..