Is 10 Cloverfield Lane a film with an identity problem?

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:00 pm
Did you see the film, and if so did you feel it was a sincere work of art?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 7,084 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:22 pm
@Thomas33,
I saw it, was just another average movie to me and I barely remember it (I usually work while watching stuff).
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
On the one hand, I really like its atmospheric edge, and focus on small character moments, but on the other hand I perceive it as a "movie star movie"; Mary Winstead is great (especially in The Thing), as is John Goodman, however I think this would've been a differently shot movie had the roles been played by unknown actors.
John Goodman has always played edgy characters, so this film just matches his career.

The final shot is magnificent though. And I think there's just about enough reasonable material to rank the film as good, but not great whatsoever.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:41 pm
@Thomas33,
I read an article about it that made the case that the ending was part of a central narrative about abuse: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/17/11255744/10-cloverfield-lane-movie-ending-backlash

Not sure I agree with that, though it fits, but I didn't mind the ending as much as others seemed to.
Thomas33

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 05:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
The movie was about hierarchy, and the irony of reflection; the John Goodman character is no different than the aliens above surface.

But that can be a problem. 10 CL is meant to be a sci-fi film, yet spends 3/4 telling a story about abuse of power, and social dynamics.
The flaw is the lack of subtlety; many great movies will be a genre film, yet subtly represent an idea totally unrelated to the nature of the genre (examples being The Terminator, or The Conjuring 2, or Revenge of the Sith or Scream and perhaps Spectre).

10 Cloverfield Lane isn't just failing to do that, but is making no effort to cloak its idea from the plot (the Goodman character is so blatantly abusive, and domineering).

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:29 am
@Thomas33,
It's in the top 3 or 4 films I've seen releases this year. John Goodman needs to get nominated for a supporting actor Oscar for this.
Thomas33

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:41 am
@tsarstepan,
What did you like about the movie?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 02:05 pm
@Thomas33,
The acting for one thing. The script and the story were great. Plenty of tension (and terror).

Mary Elizabeth Winstead carried this movie. She's an actress to look out for. Though she's been working for many years, she really didn't get the recognition she deserved for Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010). Perhaps, she'll finally break out into stardom now with more high profile leading roles.

The cinematography was great. And I definitely loved the twist ending. I didn't feel cheated by it was almost a throwaway ending.
Thomas33

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 02:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can accept that the film is possibly great, but I stand by my earlier criticism of not enough subtlety.
The ending is both great and silly. The film seems to repeat a sequence that was used in War of the Worlds (2005); Winstead is about to be sucked into the mouth of the alien vessel, but uses the lighter to protect herself (Cruise lobs a grenade in WotW).

The appeal of the film is certainly the irony; the oppressed are the oppressors. And the ending of Winstead driving off is indeed terrific, because it represents the idea that while so much is going on elsewhere, between aliens and humans, she's absurdly spent a relative while dealing with oppression by one of her own kind!

There are little things of interest: John Goodman being clean-shaven after his killing of the other man is no coincidence to the movie's art, and one could perhaps argue that the toxic liquid used at the end is another metaphor.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:23 am
@Thomas33,
Thomas33 wrote:
10 CL is meant to be a sci-fi film, yet spends 3/4 telling a story about abuse of power, and social dynamics.

You talk as if the two are mutually exclusive. Often Sci Fi allows us to safely discuss issues removed from their original context. At the time, the remade Battlestar Galactica was the only programme seriously discussing occupation, suicide bombing and the treatment of detainees.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 05:58 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Thomas33 wrote:
10 CL is meant to be a sci-fi film, yet spends 3/4 telling a story about abuse of power, and social dynamics.

You talk as if the two are mutually exclusive. Often Sci Fi allows us to safely discuss issues removed from their original context. At the time, the remade Battlestar Galactica was the only programme seriously discussing occupation, suicide bombing and the treatment of detainees.

Thank you. Well said Izzy.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:02 am
@izzythepush,
Sci-fi does mean metaphor, but I'm just objecting to the movie's extreme nature (or perhaps I just have a bias against its content).
It might be that I don't have a problem with the story, but the casting served as a distraction.
Although she was great in the film, I much preferred watching Winstead in The Thing prequel, actually thinking she was a better idea of a character than Kurt Russell's MacReady.

What's your opinion of 10 CL?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:04 am
@Thomas33,
Not seen it yet. I liked the first one.
Thomas33

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:07 am
@izzythepush,
Cloverfield? I will admit that it was a fascinating way to continue the franchise, assuming the two films are actually linked.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 02:53 pm
@Thomas33,
They are linked, main reason I watched it (I liked the first one, was an interesting tweak to the genre).
Thomas33

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What do you think a sequel should be?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 09:41 am
@Thomas33,
11 Cloverfield Avenue?
0 Replies