Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:59 am
I haven't been to the cinema for a while & am hoping to see a few films over the term break.

I'm considering:

The Secret In Their Eyes.

Animal Kingdom (Oz film)

Fish Tank

Mother & Child

The White Ribbon.

Has anyone seen any of these? Your thoughts about them?

Any other good recent films you'd recommend?

Ragman

Fri 25 Jun, 2010 09:27 am
I was hard pressed to find anything worthwhile that I HAD to see here in Sarasota, which is a fairly large So. FL urban area consisting of metro Tampa-St.Pete-Bradenton-Sarasota, so it draws the big first-run movies.

I categorize this movie as a good but not awesome summer-movie: Toy Story 3.[/b] Yes, I've seen Toy Story (1). If you haven't seen any of these, perhaps it would be fun to rent the first one, but you don't need to in order to follow the plot. We saw the movie in 3D, so it passes the fun component nicely. I took my new lady-friend and we brought no children and 'borrowed' none either.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

{BTW, I saw the award-winner UP and thought it was an excellent movie. This CGI movie is not quite in that league, but it was entertaining, nonetheless.}

I would recommend this to people who like the new generation of CGI movies as it had a fun plot and didn't feel 'gimmick-ed-up'. Tom Hanks, Tim Allen and a host of memorable actors are in this. Gone are the days where perhaps one notable star does the voice of the protagonist. I still have both pairs of my 3d glasses so I'll never pay ($7) again for these 'throw-away' 3D glasses as long as they play both versions (3D + Reg) of the movie. the environmental impact alone is annoying. I just will buy a reg-priced ticket and attend the 3d version as they never police at the door of the movie. They just take tickets when you enter the main part of theater after the concession stands.

Date Night was also good movie...saw that 2 weeks ago. If anyone is interested., I'll supply comments about that one.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:03 am
I am not sure if you all would like this film but it covers many events that had happened in the US and around the world, it has alot of oldies in it.

Part 1 0f 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weAFLcaa8nI&feature=uploademail
msolga

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:56 am
@reasoning logic,
That was really interesting, reasoning logic.
Loved the combinations of old clips, news & music. (Khrushchev stole the show. Very funny! Smile )
Who was the film maker? Can you tell us some more about the film?
I gather there are three other parts?

djjd62

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:03 am
@msolga,
nothing to new to comment on, but perhaps you could comment on my question here
http://able2know.org/topic/166278-1
reasoning logic

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:04 am
@msolga,
The film is new to me and yes there are 4 parts total to it. If you like it you should be able to find the other parts on youtube as well, if not let me know and I can post them.

I thought that some of the older folks might enjoy it, my interest in it has to do with other fields of study
djjd62

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:08 am
actually i've quite been enjoying an Irish police drama called Single Handed, they're not really movies, but the collected episodes that make up one story are about an hour and a half long

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-Handed_(2007_drama)

also been enjoying Wallander, again a tv show, but the episodes are all movie length, about an 1 and a half

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(British_TV_series)
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:09 am
@djjd62,
I wish I could, djjd, but I've been out of the film loop for ages. (Last one I saw ... crikey, I've even forgotten the name! The Polanski film. Tony Blair-like character ...

Got it! The Ghost Writer! Very good, it was, too! Smile )

I have a hunch that hinge might have seen some of those on your thread. But of course, I could be wrong about that.

Have you seen Animal Kingdom? (another Oz film)
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you have.
msolga

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:13 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
The film is new to me and yes there are 4 parts total to it. If you like it you should be able to find the other parts on youtube as well, if not let me know and I can post them.

Yes, I checked youtube & saw the other parts were available.
Will definitely check them out, reasoning logic.
Fascinating stuff & not just for oldies, I'd say. Smile
Thanks.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:14 am
@msolga,
haven't seen it, but will look it up
msolga

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:18 am
@djjd62,
I thought it was rather over-rated, though the Oz critics raved about it.
I thought The Boys - similar theme, but grittier, much more sinister & more realistic, produced a few years back - was actually a better film.
Just wondered if you'd seen it.
0 Replies

eoe

Sun 23 Jan, 2011 02:09 pm
I'm in love with It's Complicated. It's not perfect but I love it all the same.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 11:39 am
@msolga,
The Secret in Their Eyes is a very good film: thriller, politics, some very good romance, some lunacy and an unforgettable minor character.

I've only seen two films by Campanella. The Son of the Bride (2001) was even better.

msolga

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 06:32 pm
@fbaezer,
Then I must try & get hold of a DVD copy of The Secret in Their Eyes, fbaezer!
(I trust your recommendations because so often I like the very same films! Excellent taste you have! Wink )
I missed out at seeing that one at the cinema. It came & went in a flash! (As happens too often.)
You know, I haven't seen any Campanella films at all.
Perhaps I'm in for a treat?

Any recent films you'd recommend highly? I've been out of the loop for a while & have lost track of what's on offer right now.

(Of the list above, I managed to see The White Ribbon (plus others, though not all.) That was really a terrific viewing experience!)
fbaezer

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 07:28 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Then I must try & get hold of a DVD copy of The Secret in Their Eyes, fbaezer! ...

You know, I haven't seen any Campanella films at all.
Perhaps I'm in for a treat?

Any recent films you'd recommend highly? I've been out of the loop for a while & have lost track of what's on offer right now.

I don't know about any more Campanella feature films, other than the 2 I've seen and "Luna de Avellaneda".
He works mostly at the US, directing TV series (Dr. House, Law & Order).

AS for other relatively recent films, not much.
Biutiful, by González Iñárritu is very good, not great. And it is also quite depressing, so you must be in a good mood to watch it. Bardem's performance in that film is probably the best I've ever seen by a male actor.
Promise me this, by Emir Kusturica was great fun. It starts a little slow, but then it slides to delirium. Marvellous, if you like Kusturica.

msolga

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 07:38 pm
@fbaezer,
Thank you, fbaezer.
I am going to start compiling a "must see" list. I have a lot of catching up to do! (How did I let things get so out of hand? Wink Confused )
Those look like pretty good starting points, even if they're only available on DVD.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 08:48 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Have you seen Animal Kingdom? (another Oz film)
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you have.
I have to admit that it started off slowly for me. I pay a lot of attention to accents and dialects so I had to re-run it over twice to get through the first half hour. Then I started picking up on the mushy soundtrack and the australian dialec t then the movie started getting pretty good and overall, I enjoyed it as a dark dark journal of this family where the word "dysfunctional" is a description based on vast understatement.

I was really creeped out when jason called his girlfriend after he told his Uncle Pope that he spent the night with her and we all know that he didnt (including Uncle Pope)(I dont wanna spoil it).

It just had to end that way or in a manner similar.

We had a criminal woman in the 1930's named MA BArker who would kiss her sons on the mouth . (I dont remember any of my moms siisters or my mom EVER kissing any of us boys anywhere except on the cheeks).
Really fucked up family.

Pretty good flick.

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 08:56 pm
Saw True Grit; it was a very good movie.
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
You saw it farmer! Surprised

And you watched it right through! Smile

Well done! And without the services of a translator, or anything! Wink Razz

To tell the truth, I was a bit disappointed by Animal Kingdom, after all the hype in the local media. If you liked it (& I'm not sure "like" is the appropriate word) a much better Oz film of the same genre is The Boys, from a few years back. But be warned, this film could lead to depression! I'm kind of serious here ... Wink

Yes, a very dysfunctional family (in Animal Kingdom) , I agree. But based on actual examples of real crime families, right under our very noses. In Melbourne, especially. Those criminal matriarchs are very real people (believe it or not) , ruling the roost over their criminal offspring & various hangers on. We've seen them in the court rooms, on the news. Pretty creepy.
But then, you can add a dysfunctional/corrupt police force into the mix & you'd understand the whole picture & why these criminal families got away with so much. There was not much which was "admirable" about them. Dumb & ruthless would describe them fairly accurately.

One of these days I'm going to watch The Sopranos (the whole series, right through!) but right now it is such a relief to not be watching the real life characters (that our local crime movies were based on) on the news anymore ... so later, I think!

farmerman

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:47 pm
@msolga,
I didnt want to get into the whole schlemeil of Animal Kingdom because the plot does have several other liitle mguffins that to discuss em would be a spoiler.

We had a gang right here in the LAncaster Chester County areas on the late 1970's .It was called "The Johnson Gang" and they too used several means that were dsiplayed in "Animal..."

I need some reccomendations ofr some Australian movies. Ive streamed as many as you guys (You, Deb Dutchy and Dapad) had reccomended.