Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:34 am
OK, these might not be new to you folk, maybe not even newish, but I'd appreciate any feedback about The Constant Gardener & Broken Flowers if you've seen either film. (I don't think either has been mentioned yet?)
0 Replies

cyphercat

Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:51 pm
I saw the Constant Gardener. I'd definitely recommend it. Ralph Fiennes has become one of my favorite actors and he does an excellent job. It's a fascinating story too.
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:51 pm
Thanks, cyphercat. One of my friends wants to see that one.

Another friend, Broken Flowers, but I'm hoping it'll be Good night, and Good luck. Anyone seen that one? Sounds very good from the reviews I've read.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:56 pm
I think nimh trashed Broken Flowers, and Good Night,.. has great buzz, but I don't know if anyone here has seen it.
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:05 pm
Hmm, I'd better check out the other film threads here, Lash. He didn't comment on Goodnight?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:15 pm
roverroad wrote:
I'm surprised that nobody has recommended Garden State yet.

"Garden State" was a very nice chick-flick that featured some great songs, ones by Zero 7 and Thievery Corporation among them.
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 3 Jan, 2006 06:14 am
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/09/23/movies/murrow162.jpg

I saw Good night, and good luck today & found it thoroughly engrossing. Mind you, it didn't take much to become really involved in the subject, I've been fascinated for years by McCarthy, the cold war & the effects on US politics & culture. Anyway, I loved it.: the beautiful B&W images, the recreation of a long-gone era in television, the music, the struggle between integrity & evil, the terrific acting!

NYT review:
http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/09/23/movies/23luck.html?ex=1136437200&en=1cc91b0ec2f1cb84&ei=5070
0 Replies

material girl

Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
The Descent or Wolf Creek.
My pal says Brokeback Mountain is going to be great.
0 Replies

livingthedream

Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:24 am
InfraBlue wrote:
roverroad wrote:
I'm surprised that nobody has recommended Garden State yet.

"Garden State" was a very nice chick-flick that featured some great songs, ones by Zero 7 and Thievery Corporation among them.

Garden State a chick flick? I don't see it, I had not seen the movie and some of its biggest advocates were men when people found out that I was a "Garden State Virgin".

I would never categorize it as a chick flick. That's just me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:13 am
I just saw the "Wedding Crashers" last night. I can't remember the last time that I laughed so hard at a movie. Although the theme is quite different, there is something reminicient of "Animal House" (which is one of my favorite all time movies) in this film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396269/
0 Replies

kermit

Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
I know this was mentioned a while ago but I'll have to vouch for CRASH as well. Pacing is well done and the twists in the plot really get to you, I think. The all out celebrity cast made me skeptical at first but the story actually comes out most strongly. Definitely not a happy movie though - does anyone have recommendations for movies that put you in a good mood? Comedy - in the vein of Wedding Crashers and 40-Yr-Old-Virgin??
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:31 pm
Today, I saw a film that was not new, but one that I found so touching. It is from 1995, and is called "Antonia's Line":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112379/

It is a Belgian film that portrays the life of a matriarch, and her family, as it evolves through the years.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:19 pm
Phoenix

I saw Antonia's Line a while ago, on SBS television, I think. I loved it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Jonsey

Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:09 pm
I liked "Walk the Line"
0 Replies

djjd62

Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
barrythemod wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
Considering all the gay themed movies at theaters now, someone should have thought of making "Queen Kong." Or "Queen Kong Bong."

For a Gay Themed Saturday Night,how about,The Birdcage ( the pairing of Robin Williams and Nathan Lane is magic ) and The Adventures of Priscilla,Queen Of The Desert ( go bush with Terence Stamp,Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce aboard a lavender bus as they take their drag act into the heart of the Australian outback )

hate to sound like a snob, but check out the original, version of the birdcage la cage aux foilles, a little less over the top but very funny
0 Replies

djjd62

Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:03 pm
if you likes snatch or lock, stock and two smoking barrels

layer cake might interest you
0 Replies

livingthedream

Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
im not sure if this counts- but Irecently went to see Underworld Revolution with my BF - there was a trailer for Silent Hill before...and although that is totally not my type of film - I thought it looked so good. Anyone seen it?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:15 am
I film I saw just now and that I found deeply, but not cheaply, moving was the utterly Finnish feature Umur (2002). (I say Finnish because Hollywood would have made an overblown tearjerker out of the story, while this film utilises the beauty of nature to create the setting for a beautiful, subtle story of life, love and death.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:40 am
You've got my interest now, Paaskynen!
Can you tell us a bit more, please?
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:14 am
OK, looking for my next film now. My last two have been Brokeback & Good night, and Good luck. Thought both were terrific. So, next ....?
Any suggestions much appreciated. Very Happy
0 Replies