Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
But, it didn't strike you, that these people were so vociferous in their unhappiness with their lives - but with no real examination of the problems and trials and tribulations that others must go through, instead presented as some sort of ideal?

I suppose I also had a hard time with the movie, b/c I have a very low opinion of infidelity. I was filled with contempt for both main characters and their inability to imagine how bad life could be for other folks, and their unwillingness to do what was necessary to make themselves happy in life, instead choosing to cause harm to those around them.

Cycloptichorn

I found the characters entirely convincing, Cyclo. Particularly within the context of 1950s expectations of marriage. I think, if I was making some sort of assessment of them in the contect of now I'd think they were pretty self-indulgent wankers! Wink I saw this film as a "period piece", if you like ... which took place before the 60s/70s "womens liberation movement", before the (contraceptive) pill was available to women & when men were generally the sole family "providers" while women were expected to stay home as "homemakers" .... & before no fault divorces became so wide-spread. So their reaction to their personal unhappiness would have been pretty much out of the usual, shocking even ...
I found the Kate Winslet character, especially, utterly convincing. The "Paris escape" solution was grasping at straws obviously, but to me this just showed how desperate she was to escape the confines & limitations of her situation. He was able to "escape", via promotion, to a more prestigious job. She had no where else to go with her dreams & hopes. The sad thing was, they did love each other at the start, but .....

Apparently the plot of this film was an adaptation of a novel by a writer called Richard Yates. Not having read any of his novels (nor even having heard of him till now) , I'm in no position to comment on how faithful this film adaptation was. Apparently a constant theme in his novels was the agony of being married to the "wrong" person. Wink
cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:05 pm
@dlowan,
My wife and I went to see MILK last week, and felt it was a very well made movie about him. Sean Penn was excellent, and I believe he's up for some acting awards.
msolga

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Another endorsement.

Must see this one!
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@djjd62,
djjd

You've just about persuaded me to go see my very first romantic horror film! Very Happy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:18 pm
@msolga,
Haha, cool. It's not that I didn't find them convincing; it was well-acted. I just was convinced the characters were, as you put it, wankers Laughing and I got tired of hearing them bitch. Depressing.

Cycloptichorn
msolga

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh I can understand that, Cyclo! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:12 pm
Milk.

David & Margaret's (Oz TV film critics) review & trailer:

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2425401.htm
djjd62

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:15 pm
@msolga,
i'd rather watch a documentary, than see a film based on a real event, so i'll probably skip this and frost/nixon
msolga

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:59 pm
@djjd62,
Fair enough, djjd.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:08 pm
squinney and I went to Frost/Nixon the other night. It was excellent.
msolga

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:49 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Though I'd check out some online info on Frost/Nixon after your post, Bear. It does sound very interesting! This is a review from the (UK) Guardian.:

Quote:
Richard Nixon's reputation was in part created by television through broadcasts of the House Un-American Activities Committee hearings in the 1940s. His bacon was saved in 1952 when, facing disgrace over the exposure of a slush fund, his grotesquely sentimental TV Checkers speech put him back on the presidential ticket as Eisenhower's running mate. The debates with Kennedy lost him the 1960 election. In 1977, he was finally sunk when David Frost, in the course of four 90-minute TV interviews, led him into saying on Watergate that "when the President does it, that means that it is not illegal" (a disreputable statement now in every reputable dictionary of quotations) and apologising for his actions. ... <cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan/25/frost-nixon-review
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:22 pm
Gran Torino. I've read wildly differing reactions. From brilliant, to a bit of late-in-the piece Eastwood self-indulgence. Anyone seen it & in a position to comment?
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 1 Feb, 2009 05:03 am
http://i.realone.com/assets/cs/6h1/063966h1.jpg

Saw Gran Torina yesterday. (Unfortunately from the second row. Only just made it to the theatre on time.) I liked it. I enjoyed Eastwood's Walt, even though at times he seemed almost a cariciture of a grumpy old racist codger. You could see Eastwood really enjoyed playing Walt, hamming it up & every opportunity. Lots of snarls & growls & disgusted expressions. I found the scenes of urban decay in Walt's neighbourhood fascinating - the changes going on all around him, none of which he liked or approved of, course. If I wanted to be picky, I could have let a number of "as ifs" spoil the enjoyment of this film ... (as if he would have willingingly gotten involved with his Asian neighbours so quickly, given that he obviously despised them, as if he actually had a heart of gold afterall, after years & years of being a thorough bastard to just about everyone he knew, as if...... etc) Thing is, surprisingly, these as ifs weren't a problem at all. It was easy to become engrossed in the story & want the good guys to prevail. And I love a good redemption story! Wink :

Quote:
Clint Eastwood has hinted that his role as bigoted Korean War veteran Walt Kowalski " a gun-toting widower living in Detroit near the struggling Ford auto plant and even nearer to the Asian immigrants crowding him out of his run-down, racially mixed hood " may be his last role as an actor. Eastwood, 78, has two Oscars for directing Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby, and two nominations for starring in them. But an Oscar for acting? Not yet. Get busy, Academy.

I don't think Eastwood will ever turn down a juicy role. But Gran Torino, named after the 1972 car that Walt garages and polishes like a symbol of his idealized past, is a humdinger of a valedictory. Directed by Eastwood from a script by newcomer Nick Schenk, Gran Torino is Eastwood's hell-raising salute to every hardass he's ever played. Cranky Walt often communicates in a growl that sounds like a demon in need of an exorcist (wait till you hear Eastwood rasp a few bars of the film's memorable title song). Walt squints at the Hmong family next door, especially Thao (Bee Vang), a teen with a rustler's eye on the Torino. Thao's smart-mouth sister, Sue (the wonderful Ahney Her), can defrost Walt with a beer and food that isn't his usual beef jerky, but only Walt's dog, Daisy, dares to get too close. Cocking his rifle when gangbangers intrude on his territory, Walt snarls, "Get. Off. My. Lawn." Terrific stuff. And it gets better when Walt confronts some hoods playing grabass with Sue: "Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while that you shouldn't have messed with? That's me." ... cont ...

Review & trailer:
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/23306978/review/24991126/gran_torino

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:46 am
MsO & all: It was the as-ifs in Gran Torino that do all the damage for me. I kept sitting there saying "Wha?" All of a sudden he likes Hmong food?" And the whole sequence of the kid working for him is screwed up. Very bad editing. I about walked out twice.

If I had Four Apples, which is what some TV station uses to rate movies here in the Big Apple, I've give Gran Torino a ONE.

===
Others I've seen recently:
Milk -- Going to win Best Picture and Best Actor for Sean Penn. Deservedly.

Last Chance Harry -- sweet movie for people over sixty.

Benjamin Button - Going to win for Cinematography, for Make-up and Special Effects, NOT Best Picture. Wonderful movie to watch, loved the story idea and it never got lost in all the time shifts.

The Changeling -- Joile is so shockingly beautiful I cannot take my eyes off of her. I have to remind myself to pay attention to the story and it's a great story. Present day Americans have no idea, no clue, how corrupt our police forces were in the recent past. So much has been exposed since the late sixties. This is an important tale about the place women once had in the USA, especially single women with children. Not to make too much of it, this movie will probably just disappear after re-playing on Cinemax OnDemand for two more months.

Joe(with eyes wide open)Nation

PS: Angelina did this to me in some other movie whose name now escapes me. (grrrrr) The plot had her movie husband not paying enough marital attention to her. AS IF !!
snood

Sun 1 Feb, 2009 09:46 pm
I saw Gran Torino and I liked it. I think the whole idea of a man laying down his life for his friends just kind of gets me.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:01 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
MsO & all: It was the as-ifs in Gran Torino that do all the damage for me. I kept sitting there saying "Wha?" All of a sudden he likes Hmong food?" And the whole sequence of the kid working for him is screwed up. Very bad editing. I about walked out twice.

Joe, I understand what you're saying here. I really do.

But (psssssst) I think, really, this film is an idealistic, romantic fantasy! If only life could be like this!

I think a lot of the appeal of this film (to Eastwood "fans") is that this could be Clint Eastwood's last film. And that he chose to make a statement like this, in the dying days of his career ... about tolerance, the ability to change & yes, redemption, even, endears him to me. Far more that Dirty Harry ever could! I was never exactly an Eastwood fan before now. Wink

As much as anything else, I found the transformation from Dirty Harry to Walt hugely encouraging. But that's just me, possibly clutching at straws in these awful times in the world. But it felt really, really good! I wanted to go along with it.

msolga

Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:57 am
@msolga,
.... could I add that this film was also entertaining, informative, funny & moving .... It wasn't just my rather earnest nature that made it a pretty good experience. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 7 Feb, 2009 01:54 am
Saw Milk this afternoon. And, I don't know ... while I wholeheartedly endorse the political sentiments of the film, at times the film dragged a little bit ....
I guess I would have like to have seen more of a "warts & all" portrait of the man. (Everyone has warts. No one who becomes a leader in public/political life is perfect.) That would have made it more interesting, for me, anyway ...
msolga

Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:33 pm
@msolga,
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2008/12/11/2milk460.jpg

I've been thinking a bit about this film since I saw it yesterday. It's rather bugged me, why, while politically there is much to admire & why, despite Penn's wonderful performance as Milk, that the depiction of a number of Milk's important relationships seemed so ... well, under-developed & unsatisfactorily explored in the film. In particular, I couldn't really figure out why Dan Brown had felt strongly enough about Milk as to kill him. It didn't quite make sense. I think this reviewer explains my reservations better than I can :

Quote:
With pragmatism and guts, Milk fought an ugly world of bigotry. On screen, his career begins in a euphoric shower of chads and ends in a candlelit vigil-procession. But his murder in 1978 doesn't look like a straightforward martyrdom for gay rights. He was shot by fellow official Dan White - played by Josh Brolin - a conservative with whom Milk was friendly and discussed political deals, but who appears to have conceived an envious, stalkerish fascination for Milk's exuberant public successes, and who Van Sant suggests was struggling with his own unresolved sexuality. White is played by Brolin with a subtle yet potent topnote of butch/camp, a performance to set thoughtfully alongside his portrayal of George W Bush. His screen presence generates real heat.

In fact, I couldn't help thinking that the real story was happening behind our backs: the complex relationship of Harvey Milk and Dan White. I'm not suggesting that Lee Harvey Oswald should get equal time in any Kennedy story, but I wonder if more interestingly this couldn't have been a Van Sant biopic of two men, not one? Could this have been a hidden story of obsession and thwarted love running in tandem with conservative America's slow and resentful acknowledgement of the powerful gay-rights voting bloc? A story like this would have been less of an awards-magnet, less emotionally and politically correct but, I think, more interesting.

Guardian review -including video clip, etc ..:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan/22/milk-film-review-gus-van-sant-sean-penn

msolga

Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:53 pm
@msolga,
... Also (sorry to sound so picky), I couldn't figure out why exactly he'd become involved with his second lover/partner ... who was presented in the film as insecure, annoying, demanding, quite unstable & not anywhere near an intellectual equal to Milk. Why was Milk involved with him at all? And then this partner partner suicides, after Milk hadn't managed to return home by the roughly agreed (under pressure) time! What was this relationship about? Why was it included in the film?