Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Sun 16 Nov, 2008 01:14 am
Saw a wonderful film this afternoon. Lemon Tree. I thoroughly recommend it, if you haven't seen it already. It's about Salma, a Palestinian widow & her fight to save her beloved lemon grove (right on the green line, the border between between Israel & the West Bank) after the Israeli Defense minister moves in next door (on the Israeli side, of course). Salma's lemon trees are thought to be a security threat to the defense minister. Perhaps terrorist could hide in the grove & launch attacks across the border? I know it sounds a very serious subject, but the film not at all of the deadly serious/lacking in humour variety ... quite the opposite. I loved it! A pleasure to watch, lots of very sympathetic characters, on both the Israeli & Palestinian sides, plently of quite touching & also humorous moments.

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2367971.htm

(link includes a clip from the film)

~
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 16 Nov, 2008 01:18 am
Salma hits the international news! Surprise! Very Happy
A still from Lemon Tree.

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/l/images/lemon-tree-etz-limon-1.jpg
eoe

Sun 16 Nov, 2008 08:58 am
@msolga,
I'd like to see that. It looks interesting. Thanks for the clip.
msolga

Mon 17 Nov, 2008 01:53 am
@eoe,
Quote:
I'd like to see that. It looks interesting. Thanks for the clip.

I hope you do get the opportunity to see it, eoe. It's delightful.

Apart from the main (saving the orange grove plot) there are a number of intriguing sub-plots, like:
Salma & her laywer develop a real connection, but she is warned by a local Palestinian "elder" that the lawyer is much too young for her & that he will not stand by & see the memory of her (long dead) husband dishonoured by such an alliance. She is doomed to be a respectful widow, whatever she hopes for ...
The relationship between the two women (Salma & the wife of the Israeli defense minister) .. they barely speak to each other in the film, but watch, observe each other across the green line & develop a sympathetic understanding of each other. The defense minister's wife finds herself actively supporting Salma .. while quietly regretting what her marriage has become ...
Then there's the wonderful, elderly worker, who has been working in the lemon grove for years with Salma's family. He gives a wonderful, heart-felt speech in the defense of lemon trees (& Salma) to the court ....

0 Replies

msolga

Sat 29 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
I'm trying to decide on which film to see tomorrow (half price Monday at the Nova Very Happy ). Seriously considering The Wackness. Anyone seen it?
martybarker

Sun 30 Nov, 2008 01:27 am
I just got in from seeing Australia. Hugh Jackman was simply yummy!
But seriously, the movie was really great. I'd like to hear from the Aussie's.
The young boy was excellent for someone who has never acted.
msolga

Sun 30 Nov, 2008 01:54 am
@martybarker,
Glad you enjoyed it, martyB. I haven't seen it as yet, though others may have. It's copped quite a bit of flack in the Oz media (though we've been told Hugh's biceps are amazing! Wink ), so I can't comment yet, sorry.
0 Replies

artimus

Sun 7 Dec, 2008 09:11 am
Recon 7 Down good flick gotta love a Dirk Benedict film.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:36 pm
@msolga,
Saw "Fugitive Pieces"...from the novel...loved it.
msolga

Sun 7 Dec, 2008 06:18 pm
@dlowan,
Yes? Could you tell us a bit more, Deb?

Oh & I did see The Wackness last week, as planned. More about it later, when I have more time. On the run today ...
msolga

Sun 7 Dec, 2008 06:24 pm
@msolga,
I'm contemplating seeing Hunger soon, but am wondering if it could possibly cause one to become acutely depressed. (Trying to avoid this sort of thing in the lead-up to the "festive season", which provides more than enough angst for the time being .....Wink )
So.. has anyone seen Hunger?
What do you say?
0 Replies

mac11

Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:49 pm
I saw Milk today. It's the best film I've seen in months. Sean Penn and the rest of the cast are amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013753/
msolga

Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:10 am
@mac11,
That looks very interesting, mac. Thanks. I'll definitely go see it when I get the opportunity to.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 8 Dec, 2008 01:13 am
@mac11,
COOL!!!!!

The first posters are here, and I was already hooked. Vat a Mensch!
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:55 am
Saw I've Loved You So Long this afternoon. So's I don't spoil the film for anyone planninging on seeing it, I'm not going to tell you any more than: two sisters are reunited after having had no contact for 15 years. Obviously the sister who has been "away" (Kristin Scott Thomas) is quite depressed & withdrawn. Bit by bit we learn about the circumstances of the separation - & the truth of the situation. I liked it, even though I'd sort of guessed that things were not quite as we'd been entirely as we'd been led to believe.

http://www.filmink.com.au/images/reviews/56becd4f936f39d4770d.jpg

Film reviews & trailer on this Rotten Tomatoes link:
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/ive_loved_you_so_long/

0 Replies

bungie

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:22 am
@martybarker,
Hello martybaker ... Glad you liked the movie.
The url below shows some of the set being built at Bowen, Queensland, for the movie.
Cheers bungie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXat5T7QdU
msolga

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:02 am
@bungie,
Bungie sighting! Surprised
bungie

Sun 11 Jan, 2009 02:05 pm
@msolga,
Hello msolga ... its good to see you again.
I was lost in the old system, but can find my way around again .. wohooooo.
Cheers bungie ..
msolga

Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:18 pm
@bungie,
So it was hello & goodbye, all at once, bungie? Surprised
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:25 pm
finally saw the dark knight

heath ledger is amazing in his role as the joker, as for the rest of the mess, oof, not pretty, batman begins looked like they were on there way to a great franchise, this latest movie killed it in my opinion, if you see it, fast forward to all the joker bits and forget the rest