Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

ehBeth

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:39 pm
@dagmaraka,
I'm watching Anchorman again. It's definitely a movie, not a film.

It cracks me up more each time I watch it. Takes me back to my early working days. Christina Applegate even wears the same style of three-piece pantsuit I did in those days.
msolga

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 01:16 am
@ehBeth,
Do let us know your assessment of Caramel after you've seen it, ehBeth. (I suspect you'll enjoy it.)
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 01:18 am
@dlowan,
Thanks, Deb.

I'll read the Rotten Tomatoes reviews a bit later.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 01:24 am
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
I did enjoy the Babel though - even Brad Pitt didn't get on my nerves there. Maybe because they made him look older and tired.

Laughing

To be fair, he was very good in Babel. (I'm not a huge Brad fan, either.)
Terrific film, I agree!
dagmaraka

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:08 am
@msolga,
I watched Caramel (and Donnie Brasco and Before the Night Falls) yesterday.... (I was feeling sickly, stayed in bed all day and watched movies)
Caramel was really nice, I enjoyed it a lot. It's refreshing to finally see a movie where normalcy is portrayed, as certainly even in regions torn by war or marked by conflict people still go about their daily lives, have their daily petty problems... and it's definitely a chick flick, but in a good way. Highly recommended.
msolga

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:19 am
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
...and it's definitely a chick flick, but in a good way. Highly recommended.

True, true. In a very enjoyable way! And they were so gorgeous to look at & so passionate & full of beans!Very Happy

(Hope you're feeling better now, dag.)
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:23 am
So has anyone got anything to say about Towelhead? I'd be very interested, if you do. The plot sounded a bit contrived in the report I read ... but who knows?: It may work really well as a film.
0 Replies

eoe

Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:02 pm
"Stranger Than Fiction"
Will Ferrell in a completely different light.
msolga

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 12:44 am
@eoe,
Can you tell us a bit more about the film, eoe?

I haven't come across that one yet.
eoe

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:50 am
@msolga,
It's hard to explain. It's simple but it isn't. Fantasy but everyday reality. Hmmmm...a quiet, unassuming IRS agent suddenly begins to hear his life in narration. Only he can hear it and it drives him almost insane but instead, he chooses to research it and thus the beginning of his journey.

If you're familiar with Will Ferrell, he's a wacky kind of actor, does alot of stupid movies that are funny but tasteless, appealing to the baser instincts which he's very, very good at getting to. He's an interesting actor but alot of his stuff isn't my cup of tea. Loved him in "Elf", tho. And in spite of myself, couldn't help cracking up at his Ricky Bobby in "Talledega Nights".
msolga

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 07:26 pm
@eoe,
Thank you, eoe! Sounds good!
No, sorry, I don't know much about Will Ferrell, but will definitely keep an eye out for this film.

eoe

Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:47 pm
@msolga,
You're welcome. Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 01:07 am
Stranger than Fiction has metaphysical themes along the lines of movies like The Truman Show, and Adaptation.

Will Ferrell is surprisingly good in the movie. He gave a glimpse of his range in Elf, which I also enjoyed.

His bit part in Wedding Crashers as the legendary mad genius who wrote the book on wedding crashing was hilarious.
msolga

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 02:51 am
@InfraBlue,
Thank you, too, InfraBlue.
I think I'll make a point of seeing this one!
0 Replies

eoe

Sat 1 Nov, 2008 08:06 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm watching Anchorman again. It's definitely a movie, not a film.

It cracks me up more each time I watch it. Takes me back to my early working days. Christina Applegate even wears the same style of three-piece pantsuit I did in those days.

Msolga, another Will Ferrell movie. He's so obnoxious in this one tho, I can't bear it. But others, like dagmaraka, just eat it up.
eoe

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:41 am
@eoe,
Ooops. I meant ehBeth, not dagmaraka. Dag may not be familiar with him at all.
dagmaraka

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:15 pm
@eoe,
oh no, eoe. I luuurve Will Ferrel.
eoe

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:26 pm
@dagmaraka,
And there ya go, msolga. Another Will Ferrell fan.
msolga

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:47 pm
@eoe,
I seem to be among the few not in the know , eoe. I must investigate further!
CalamityJane

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:09 pm
@msolga,
We watched "21" - a movie where a few MIT students found a way to
beat the blackjack system in Las Vegas. Quite remarkable, and I like to see Kevin Spacey - no matter what movie he's in.
0 Replies