Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

ricksang

Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:37 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sat 28 Jul, 2007 07:47 pm
Don't roll you eyes at me -- I'll have the rats cook you up as an entree.
0 Replies

ricksang

Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:11 pm
lol I like that one!!! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 5 Sep, 2007 05:20 am
I've been really busy a while & am totally out of the new film loop. So I'm asking: have you seen any film that's really exceptional lately? Recommendations, anyone? I plan to try to start catching up again soon!
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:27 am
msolga wrote:
I've been really busy a while & am totally out of the new film loop. So I'm asking: have you seen any film that's really exceptional lately? Recommendations, anyone? I plan to try to start catching up again soon!

OK, then.

It doesn't have to be really exceptional ..... just good would be fine! Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:31 am
haven't been to the movies forever, except once. I saw Sicko (because I came too late....Was planning to see Paris, Je T'Aime)... It was better than I thought.

But Blades of Glory is newish and on DVD already. We saw that and it was funny, if you set your expectations appropriately low.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:41 am
Yay! A response!
Good on ya, dag! Very Happy

Sicko has got to be on DVD soon, yes? I will definitely see it!
Ditto Blades of Glory, if you recommend it.

I'll check out the online reviews for Paris, Je T'Aime. There have been so many films I've missed, I've lost track of what's what these days Confused
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:47 am
They closed our movie theatre down MsOlga. The Star cinema (which hosted the world premiere of the man from snowy river) is being knocked down and a supermarket is being built on the site.

Such is the price of progress.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:53 am
dadpad wrote:
They closed our movie theatre down MsOlga. The Star cinema (which hosted the world premiere of the man from snowy river) is being knocked down and a supermarket is being built on the site.

OH NO!

It sounded a terrific cinema!

Replaced by a supermarket! Shocked

How come? Did the owners get tired of it & sell up? They weren't making enough $$$ to keep going?

That would be a huge loss in your community, dadpad. Sorry to hear it. Sad
0 Replies

eyelet

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 08:29 am
msolga wrote:
msolga wrote:

OK, then.

It doesn't have to be really exceptional ..... just good would be fine! Laughing

I saw "Becoming Jane", the movie about Jane Austen and it was wonderful! Of course I love really sappy sweet movies. And Anne Hathaway does a great job I think...of course I am no critic. But I loved it just the same!
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 08:36 am
msolga wrote:
dadpad wrote:

OH NO!

It sounded a terrific cinema!

Replaced by a supermarket! Shocked

How come? Did the owners get tired of it & sell up? They weren't making enough $$$ to keep going?

That would be a huge loss in your community, dadpad. Sorry to hear it. Sad

Lots of reasons for the sellout. Old and delapidated building stuffed full of asbestos It really needed to have new seating and sound system, small town so $$$ were hard to come by. Big loss for the younger kids as there are no alcohol free venues in town now. Smooching will now have to be in back alleys and other inappropriate places.
0 Replies

mac11

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:53 pm
I'll second Eyelet's vote on "Becoming Jane." It was lovely.

I also liked Evening very much. Great cast: Vanessa Redgrave, her daughter Natasha Richardson, Meryl Streep, her daughter Mamie Gummer, Toni Collette.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 17 Dec, 2007 08:32 pm
Yesterday I saw my first film in ages. Coeurs, a French film directed by Alain Resnais, based on a play, Private Fears in Public Places. It was difficult to choose which film to see, as there were a number of interesting possibilities, but I chose Coeurs because it had received excellent reviews here. My response to the film? Beautifully filmed. Well acted & directed - all the characters were completely believable in sometimes in unlikely situations, but .... maybe I'm getting a bit picky, but I'm getting rather tired of the "separate characters /inter-connecting lives" idea ... you know, how the actions of one character impacts on another, then the actions of another impacts on yet another? Perhaps I've just seen too many such film?
Anyway, while I couldn't help but admire & enjoy this film, I certainly wouldn't place it in the small number of films I was really impressed by this year. Sadly, it seemed a little bit dated in feel, with a slight whiff of mothballs about it...

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/06/2_COEURS_071206090935684_wideweb__300x200.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/news/film-reviews/coeurs/2007/12/06/1196812875431.html
0 Replies

happytaffy

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:56 pm
the last movie I saw was Juno and i LOVED it .. i recommend!
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:37 pm
Welcome, happytaffy! Very Happy

I'd be interested in hearing more about that film, if you feel so inclined.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:19 pm
I Am Legend. I read Matheson's Book back in the 70's, and saw the Charlton Heston version The Omega Man. But this one is a great movie, whether you've ever heard of the story before or not. Everyone I know who's seen it has said they were at the edge of their seat the whole movie.

I didn't even want to leave to use the toilet (and I had to go re-e-a-al bad).
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:32 pm
My son and nephew also highly recommend I am Legend.

Going to the movie tomorrow...the only two I'm interested in are The Golden Compass and Beowolf.

Can anyone recommend one over the other?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:57 am
I had no idea that I am Legend had been filmed again. I have already seen The last Man on Earth (1964, with Vincent Price), which treated in detail the drama of the pandemic in which the main character loses his entire family, while the fight against the zombies was of secondary importance to the human factor. The Omega Man (1971, Charlton Heston) kind of skipped the human drama and focussed on the zombie action (and it omitted the fact that the infected fear the main character). I wonder how Will Smith does and whether the script provides his character with a happy ending unlike in the other two films.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:10 pm
I think Will Smith is FABulous. Can't wait to see Legend and The Pursuit of Happiness.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:59 pm
I saw Atonement and it was OK. It didn't sweep me away (too artificial) but I'd still recommend it.

But i heard praises upon praises for JUNO. Haven't seen it yet, plan to as soon as I'm back in the U.S.A.
0 Replies