Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:47 am
I agree with you, Paaskynen. Crash was an engrossing & often quite moving experience.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:51 am
I saw The Lives Of Others today & was so impressed!
This is an exceptional film. Great script, fantastic acting, beautiful cinematography ... perfect! I can't recommend it too highly.
But of course, what kept one rivetted throughout was wondering (anxiously) what would become of the main characters?: Would the Stasi spy retain his newly-found sympathy toward the "traitors" of the society he served as an employee? Or would he betray them for his own survival? Would the writers of the subversive tract on suicide in the German Democratic Republic get away with it or would they be caught & receive the inevitable awful punishment? How on earth could creativity, honesty, integrity exist in such a terrible environment?

I won't tell you what actually happens in the film, but I will tell you it's engrossing & what occurs will cause quite some anxiety & some surprises ... like some sad or surprising betrayals & also the most unlikely "hero" you would have expected. I was reminded of The Conformist watching this film. (those who turned a blind eye to the terrible things that were happening, those who made a brave stand for decency, despite terrible consequences) The final scene was very moving & caused me to cry, unashamedly. It was such a right ending.:

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2007/02/09/lives_of_others/

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/livesofothers/Cropped/02.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:12 am
The Lives Of Others (trailer, review, synopsis, etc)

http://movies.uk.msn.com/film.aspx?P_MediaID=17151
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:34 am
Saw the review on "Ebert and Roeper" and it is still playing at our local art theater. Rotten Tomatoes 95% favorable reviews!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:41 pm
So, are you going to see it, LightWizard?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:46 pm
If I can find one of my friends who will go to see an art film. Sandy in Laguna Beach just might. Otherwise, I will have to wait for the DVD (just not into going to the movies alone).
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:56 pm
Ah well, which ever way it happens, LW, you're in for a wonderful experience!

(I'm not crazy about lone cinema experiences, either. You can't discuss the film at length with yourself, nor argue about different interpretations half as well, I find! :wink: )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:08 pm
I've just joined netflix, so I can get into the sentient world of seeing movies again. This is by way of bookmarking, and saying, hmmm, that Cohen film, might need to put it on my list.

Diane and I watched Bertolucci's Besieged on Sunday (Dys loved the music from afar). It remains a favorite of mine, but doesn't quite fit this thread as it's not all that recent.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Diane and I watched Bertolucci's Besieged on Sunday (Dys loved the music from afar). It remains a favorite of mine, but doesn't quite fit this thread as it's not all that recent.

I must see if I can track that one down, osso. The Conformist is one of my all-time favourite films. Is Besieged from around same period? (I didn't enjoy B's later films half as much as those from the Conformist/Spiders Strategy era.)
0 Replies

Ashers

Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:08 am
I saw Hot Fuzz the other week, it was really funny, taking the 'Shaun of the Dead' humour to a new level maybe!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:29 am
My kid and I saw "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film" if you are twenty two you should see it.

Joe(very odd experience)Nation
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:51 am
Caught a midnight showing of the Quay brothers' Piano Tuner of Earthquakes...

Beautiful set design, lovely to look at--weird as all ****.

Ridiculous screenplay--but glad I saw it...
0 Replies

wheatchaff

Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:22 pm
this film is not yet rated
I love the Quay brothers. I think I've seen all their stuff. Unsettling, but beautiful.

I saw "This film is not yet rated" the documentary about the MPAA. Definitely good.
0 Replies

eoe

Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:56 pm
I finally got the chance to watch "Derailed" with Clive Owen and Jennifer Anistan. I liked it. A sexy thriller.
0 Replies

Ashers

Sat 5 May, 2007 09:46 am
Apologies if it's been mentioned but I saw Stranger than Fiction with Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal & Dustin Hoffman and I thought it was very good. It's about a meticulous IRS auditor who is alienated & lonely from the world around him, that is, until he starts hearing a voice narrating his life as he lives it. Weird to see Ferrell in such a role after films like Anchorman & Talladega Nights but I thought he was great. He plays a substantially subdued character who has to learn to "take a shot", he still cracked me up, his scenes with Gyllenhaal were particularly good, as was she, very bubbly and a bright spark on screen.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:05 am
Transformers...caught a pre-release at my local Picturehouse yesterday (Sunday).
Wow,full of crash bang wallop,all action from start to finish.Michael Bay sure knows how to blow up stuff.The kids will love it,but some adults should leave theis brain at home.
I loved it Very Happy
0 Replies

ricksang

Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:35 pm
"Flags of Our Fathers" was great. I love WWII movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Fri 27 Jul, 2007 04:49 pm
The poster of the topic I believe intended that these were movies still at theaters and not released on DVD. There is a discussion elsewhere for DVD's. Welcome a A2K, ricksang -- any films you've seen in a movie theater lately where they make the popcorn?

Link: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89366
0 Replies

ricksang

Sat 28 Jul, 2007 08:48 am
Oh lol. That would be Ratatouille then. Took a niece. It was cute.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:06 am
There's an entire featured thread on "Ratatouille."

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98557
0 Replies