Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

fbaezer

Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:07 pm
"Volver" is the perfect 'chick flick', and men also enjoy it.

And yes, Almodóvar succeded in re-creating Sophia in Penélope.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:03 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Films I have seen recently that have gotten MY high marks (an 8 is indeed a high mark):

The March of the Penguins

March of the Penguins was in this weekend's selection of movies. Loved it. Even loved the bonus 'making of' film.

Set has already watched one of our other choices Ice Age II a few times. I liked it - but not to the automatic re-watch point.

The third film - maybe my favourite of the batch - was Wordplay. I'll be watching that again before we take it back. Who knew that watching other people work on crossword puzzles could make you hold your breath.
Man oh man.
0 Replies

mac11

Sun 4 Feb, 2007 09:15 pm
Yep, Wordplay was excellent.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth (wow!) and Because I Said So (too predictable) this weekend.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 5 Feb, 2007 12:44 pm
Loved March of the Penguins.

Has anyone seen the underwater version: "Deep Blue"? I can't wait.
0 Replies

shangrispa

Wed 7 Feb, 2007 09:32 pm
The films I've seen recently are 'The Queen' and 'Happy Feet' and the one I would recommend is The Queen it's the best film I've seen at the cinema for ages
0 Replies

womanizer

Wed 7 Feb, 2007 11:17 pm
To those who want action movie? Go and watch Outlaw on March 9.
You gonna like it!
0 Replies

aidan

Sun 11 Feb, 2007 04:15 am
I saw Dreamgirls last night. I really liked it. The music was excellent (in my opinion). I'm going out today to try to find the soundtrack. There were a few hokey parts when they sang to the camera ( I know what they were trying to do, but I don't think it worked), but overall, I found it really entertaining and enjoyable.
Loved Eddie Murphy in it- and the womens' voices.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:03 am
saw downfall recently

a film about the last days of hitler in the bunker

i liked it, very engaging i thought
0 Replies

4nikate86

Sun 11 Feb, 2007 10:44 pm
I just watched Alexander...but i see that they have a new version/DVD coming out Feb. 27th. "Alexander: The Complete Cut"...includes a ticket to see 300 so should be worth the buy. The movie itself is uncut which always adds to the movie experience. In this case, the theatrical version (which i just saw) seemed...lacking, so i can't wait to see the new cut for this DVD coming out.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:42 pm
Yesterday I saw Notes From a Scandal.
A terrific performance from Judi Dench (Barbara), as a manipulative, quite creepy elderly teacher who preys on Sheba (Cate Blanchett) a younger, much more open & casual younger teacher. Sheba has a secret which, if exposed, could completely undermine her & potentially ruin her reputation & her life. The film is about how how Barbara uses that secret to gain power over Sheba. The story is told in voice-over, as written (often with wit, humour & considerable nastiness) in Barbara's diary. A ripping yarn! I enjoyed it. The only aspect of the film that jarred was the Philip Glass soundtrack. It was much too loud & overly melodramatic . Actually, I don't think the story needed a soundtrack at all & found myself becoming really annoyed by it's intrusion. Apart from that, Scandal is well worth a viewing.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/02/14/2_scandalmain_070209015744560_wideweb__300x195.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/news/film-reviews/notes-on-a-scandal/2007/02/14/1171405293053.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:19 am
I was never exactly a huge Leonard Cohen "fan", but I really enjoyed I'm Your Man. Lots of terrific performances by others singing their own interpretations of Cohen songs & speaking (thankfully without any embarrassing gushing & over-kill) about why LC was & still is so important to them. Nice. But the biggest surprise was LC himself. I'd alway thought (not being an expert on the man & his music) that he was deadly earnest, unrelentingly depressing & rather boring. Not so. He came across as charming, intelligent & thoughtful ... & surprisingly, quite funny! (like when talking about his period in a Buddhist monastery!)
I think I'll have to listen to some of those old songs again!

(there's a link to film trailer for the film in the Rolling Stone link below)

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/1/2/6/8/10638621.jpg

" In this muddled but marvelous blend of documentary and concert film, director Lian Lunson takes you down to a place where it's possible to look closely at the life and art of cult troubadour Leonard Cohen. The Montreal poet was celebrating his seventieth birthday when the Sydney Opera House honored him with this 2005 tribute show. As musical guests cover Cohen songs -- highlights include Rufus Wainwright on "Hallelujah," Nick Cave on "Suzanne" and Beth Orton and Jarvis Cocker on "Death of a Ladies Man" -- the film cuts in interviews with Cohen interpreting his songs and telling of adventures that took him from New York clubs to a Zen monastery on California's Mount Baldy. It's only at the end that Cohen, joined by Bono and the Edge, raises his own voice on "Tower of Song." It's enough to send fans and converts alike to the Cohen library for more of the master himself."

- Rolling Stone review

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/8718998/review/10638516/leonard_cohen_im_your_man
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:26 pm
Both my kids are absolutely jazzed over The 300.
0 Replies

4nikate86

Sun 25 Mar, 2007 02:31 pm
I just saw 300 again, even better Razz My cousin picked up that new Alexander DVD and gave me his free ticket, so i've seen 300 twice now for free! Honorable mention for Alexander: The Complete Story, amazing new cut, the story just seems to flow better...
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 9 Apr, 2007 08:21 am
Anyone seen The Lives Of Others yet?

I'd be interested to hear your feedback, if you have. The reviews here have been terrific.

Was going to see it this week, but had to cancel.
0 Replies

mac11

Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:47 am
I haven't seen 300 or Lives of Others yet, but they're both on my list.

I saw The Wind That Shakes the Barley yesterday. Fantastic film, and amazing performances from the Irish cast.
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:13 am
mac11 wrote:
I saw The Wind That Shakes the Barley yesterday. Fantastic film, and amazing performances from the Irish cast.

So now you're really, really depressed, mac? :wink:

Just kidding. I thought it a good film, too. It just made me feel a bit wretched (in sympathy) for the Irish, that's all.
0 Replies

mac11

Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:51 am
Yes, it was depressing. But I knew the subject before I went, so I was expecting that.
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:56 am
mac11 wrote:
Yes, it was depressing. But I knew the subject before I went, so I was expecting that.

Me, too.

Many of my movie experiences tend to be similar!
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:39 am
OK, I'll be seeing The Lives of Others tomorrow & will be able to report back here. Really looking forward to it!
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:55 am
I liked Crash too. It seemed simplistic and contrived at the start but spires into an increasingly involving web of meaning.
0 Replies