How Should a Christian Act?

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Lash wrote:

It "witnesses" to your heart. It is approved by God, and many times an event will occur that signifies approval of the message you recieved.

This is still 100% reliant on interpretation by a flawed mind.
How do you know what is approved by god?
How do you know you have interpreted the 'event' correctly?
Quote:

Some people know. Some don't. God's in charge of that aspect of the relationship--not people. Sometimes, I didn't get what I felt was a clear answer and it infuriated me. Sometimes, my questions or actions were acknowledged.
There IS room for error. Its like buying a Christmas/Hanukah present for a friend. If you know your friend, you know they'll like what you've chosen for them. If you haven't been around your friend in a long time--you've lost that closeness--it's hard to think of gifts they may like--you're uncertain, and after you buy it, you're worried that they may not like it.

So you are not certain of your faith?
Quote:

I can't imagine what gave you that idea.
If you're out of step with Christ, you can fool yourself into thinking you know what He's saying--when you don't have a clue. You can easily project your own desires onto the Spirit.

And if the bible is open to interpretation, how do you know you are not fooling yourself now?

Quote:

I know.
Very Happy
You seem to be implying an 'us and them' situation but you have failed to distinguish the 'us' from the 'them'
Quote:

I'm glad. There is no us or them as far as I'm concerned.
There's a lot of patience involved, listening, seeking through prayer, self-examination and time spent in the Bible, studying who you are talking to--and what He stood for.

Would you say everyone that follows this advice arrives at the same conclusions? If not, doesn't that disturb you at all?
Quote:

I took trouble to say that everyone doesn't arrive at the same conclusions--and that Christianity is not a One Size Fits All proposition. It doesn't disturb me in the least that they follow varied paths--as long as they do get to know the One they worship well. If it's not Christianity, I wish they'd call it something else. I do understand that many people who say they are Christians can't stand it when people have different Christian beliefs. That kind of thinking takes us away from Christ's intent, IMO.Hope that's at least marginally understandable.

I think I follow you, but I am left with more questions than I started with :/
A Christian always has questions--and that leads to intense study, that one day, likely leads to a quiet revelation and a close relationship with God. Questions are good.

Anyway. Sorry for horrible parsing. The red are my new remarks. Good luck figuring out what the rest is.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:28 pm
Momma--
I looked over all of that in my Bible, and none of it contradicts my position.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:31 pm
Echi--

You believe that the Holy Spirit is separate from you--and the Spirit of God living in you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:34 pm
Ok, Lash, you take it. You are doing a much better job of this than I am. Sorry, I stepped in. Embarrassed

<<<slinks away because I knew I should have let Lady Lash handle it in the first place>>>>>

<<<<but am reading with great interest!>>>>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:34 pm
I don't know if I should go further in public. If you have any further--more personal questions in this direction, feel free to PM me. I want to protect your privacy.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:37 pm
Lash,

I don't think echi has pm privileges yet. I can either send her your email address or echi, I can send Lash yours.

What will it be?
0 Replies

highlyoriginal

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:38 pm
[I do have to ask though, do you mean Christians should not pray in public or are you speaking of separation of church and state here? ]

Momma Angel,

I was thinking specifically of Matthew 6,5-6 which seems to me to be both a clear injunction to worship in secret and to be in accord with the general tenor of the gospels.

It is of especial interest because of the emphasis Christians often place on the very opposite. That is, that they stress the importance of church attendance and will proudly boast that they are regular churchgoers. Many people, both believers and non-believers, equate churchgoing with religion, but I have known a great many churchgoers that appear to have very little of the 'religious' - in the sense of 'spiritual' - about them, and a great many deeply spiritual people who never attend a church.

The verses in Matthew draw a sharp contrast between the recommended behavior and that of the hypocrites, who make a big issue of their public worship.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:41 pm
highlyoriginal wrote:
[I do have to ask though, do you mean Christians should not pray in public or are you speaking of separation of church and state here? ]

Momma Angel,

I was thinking specifically of Matthew 6,5-6 which seems to me to be both a clear injunction to worship in secret and to be in accord with the general tenor of the gospels.

It is of especial interest because of the emphasis Christians often place on the very opposite. That is, that they stress the importance of church attendance and will proudly boast that they are regular churchgoers. Many people, both believers and non-believers, equate churchgoing with religion, but I have known a great many churchgoers that appear to have very little of the 'religious' - in the sense of 'spiritual' - about them, and a great many deeply spiritual people who never attend a church.

The verses in Matthew draw a sharp contrast between the recommended behavior and that of the hypocrites, who make a big issue of their public worship.

Highlyoriginal,

You seem to have a very good grasp on that verse. However, I don't believe it was meant we are not to pray in public. I believe it means we are not to pray to make a spectacle of ourselves or to be showy in our faith.

I think if someone says grace when they are eating a meal in a restaurant that is perfectly fine. Now, if they let it go on for a long time to where it really draws attention to it, no, I don't think that is ok.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:51 pm
echi can let me know. Thanks, though.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:02 pm
Lash wrote:
Echi--

You believe that the Holy Spirit is separate from you--and the Spirit of God living in you?

I do not believe that the Holy Spirit is separate from anyone.
The "Spirit of God"... is that the same?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:04 pm
Lash wrote:
I don't know if I should go further in public. If you have any further--more personal questions in this direction, feel free to PM me. I want to protect your privacy.

echi is not my real name. Don't worry about my privacy. Please, let's discuss.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:05 pm
The "separate" thing--attempt to explain my meaning, ....

Do you believe you are born with the Holy Spirit--or you acquire it during life somehow?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:07 pm
I'm aware echi isn't your name-- I just didn't want to seem overbearing or Church Lady-ish and tutorish.

But, fine. I don't mind answering questions about my faith.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:11 pm
Lash wrote:
The "separate" thing--attempt to explain my meaning, ....

Do you believe you are born with the Holy Spirit--or you acquire it during life somehow?

The "Holy Spirit", like the conscience, I think is innate in everyone.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:12 pm
We don't develop our sense of conscience, only our ability to "hear" it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:14 pm
echi,

If the Holy Spirit were innate in all of us, why are those that do not even believe in the Holy Spirit?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:15 pm
Not to get off subject...but our conscience is IMO also very similar to the concept of karma.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:16 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
echi,

If the Holy Spirit were innate in all of us, why are those that do not even believe in the Holy Spirit?

I hope I understand your question correctly. "Holy Spirit" is just a name. Others apply other names.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:17 pm
echi,

To you Holy Spirit may be just a name. To me, it is God. God the Father, the God son, God the Holy Spirit.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:18 pm
Lash,
Quote:

Some people know. Some don't. God's in charge of that aspect of the relationship--not people. Sometimes, I didn't get what I felt was a clear answer and it infuriated me. Sometimes, my questions or actions were acknowledged.

Yes, but how do you 'know' if you 'know' if you have no authority aside from your interpretation to go by?

Quote:

I'm glad. There is no us or them as far as I'm concerned.

Well, your own words:
Quote:

This is how we end up with so much crap, IMO, from that quarter.

Referring to those 'out of step with christ'
Which infers that YOU are in fact IN step with christ. That is the 'us and them' I was Referring to. You have failed to establish what distinguishes you from 'those out of step with christ' as you both rely on your judgement, and all human judgement is flawed.
Quote:

I took trouble to say that everyone doesn't arrive at the same conclusions--and that Christianity is not a One Size Fits All proposition. It doesn't disturb me in the least that they follow varied paths--as long as they do get to know the One they worship well. If it's not Christianity, I wish they'd call it something else. I do understand that many people who say they are Christians can't stand it when people have different Christian beliefs. That kind of thinking takes us away from Christ's intent, IMO.

Yes, but if 'christians' are free to decide what 'the path' is, and not only that, the destination, where is any sense of coherency? Is it just a free for all make up your own beliefs as you go along and call it christianity? Are all versions of 'christianity' equal in worth?
Quote:

A Christian always has questions--and that leads to intense study, that one day, likely leads to a quiet revelation and a close relationship with God. Questions are good.

I have yet to see the christian denomination that encourages questions. Faith and doubt aren't very combatable, as they tend to undermine eachother.
And where did you get the idea I was a christian?
I certainly am not...
0 Replies