How Should a Christian Act?

yitwail

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:00 pm
MA, i'm glad you agree & understand, but if you'll indulge me i want to take another stab at it, because i thought of better way to express the idea.

so, before doing something, ask yourself what's the worst that can happen? and if the worst outcome will be worse than doing nothing, think twice before doing something you may regret.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:00 pm
Hi Dok;
Just a quickie before I go out the door:

Have you considered the admonition and promise made to Adam and Eve in the book of Genesis?

The promise was for life on earth. No mention of heaven.

The punishment for disobedience was to be death. No mention of hell.

In fact, rather than possessing a soul, we are told that Adam came to be a soul.

Later we are told that souls are mortal. They do not survive death.

So exactly what were you asking about heaven and hell? There are answers, I assure you.

Scriptural references provided on request.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:01 pm
I knew quite a few real Christians in Lubbock. They did not have a need to discuss their beliefs in secular situations. They did not have a need to preach to me. They simply lived their lives, were very polite, nice, and caring. They went on mission trips in the summer. They went to weddings and funerals, always with a cassarole. They were charitable.

Very nice people, and I miss them a lot.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:02 pm
yitwail,

Most excellent advice. Thank you so much.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
Quote:
A lot of people call themselves Christians and attend church every week and a lot do not, they also think if they do this formula:
pay their tithes
give to the poor
visit people in prison
serve on a committee
teach Sunday school
if they belong to a church
they are Christians and entitled to pass go for heaven. Naming of Jesus has become a magic incantation, something people think they can use as a password or secret handshake, I don't think it works like that

It's not the Jesus' name alone that brings salvation. It is Jesus himself, it's knowing who He really is, believing in Jesus, having faith in Jesus, giving Him your life, loving Jesus. Without the Jesus as the key any other use of Jesus' name is like ---------- in the wind.

When you call yourself a Christian, what are you saying? Think about it.

"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in Heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name, and in Your Name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" Matthew 7:21-23
Does Jesus know you?
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:07 pm
Doktor S wrote:
the almost complete opposite philosophies espoused by the OT and NT

Leviticus 19:17-18 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Mark 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Not trying to debate or derail Momma's thread--I just felt compelled to point out the OT and NT are not totally in contradiction...
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:13 pm
neologist wrote:
Hi Dok;
Just a quickie before I go out the door:

Have you considered the admonition and promise made to Adam and Eve in the book of Genesis?

The promise was for life on earth. No mention of heaven.

The punishment for disobedience was to be death. No mention of hell.

In fact, rather than possessing a soul, we are told that Adam came to be a soul.

Later we are told that souls are mortal. They do not survive death.

So exactly what were you asking about heaven and hell? There are answers, I assure you.

Scriptural references provided on request.

My whole point was to point out a few obvious contradictions in the NT.

I realize through the use of linguistic gymnastics contradictions can be rammified, but that is a weakness in linguistics. When looking at 'face value' contextual meanings, not just out of context soundbytes, I am left with contradiction after contradiction.
Which is what lead me to post my original response, to say that a 'true' christian, taking the entire bible as divine word, and without of course ignoring parts and twisting others to mean things they don't say through interpretation, would have to hold simultaniously several contradictory beliefs.
Of course, if you think I am full of crap and the bible is the unerring word of god, feel free to ignore me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
Doktor S,

I don't think you are full of crap. I am enjoying reading your posts.

But, don't you think it's important that we remember that the language the Bible was written in and the time it was written in, was not nearly as sophisticated as we think they are today?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:23 pm
Wanted to say also--I hope Dok will expand on his line of questioning. I was hoping to converse a smidge.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:31 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Doktor S,

I don't think you are full of crap. I am enjoying reading your posts.

Thanks Smile
Quote:

But, don't you think it's important that we remember that the language the Bible was written in and the time it was written in, was not nearly as sophisticated as we think they are today?

That isn't really relevant. Scholars are perfectly capable of translating the oldest known 'bibles' (which are only 1700 years old tops) to english from the hebrew/greek..
And I do admit that there are many errors in translation (all the bible versions can't be 'right') but many of the contradictions in the NT can't be so easily written off.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
Dokstor S,

Actually, I don't think any part of the Bible can be written off. Misinterpreted, yes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
Quote:
Actually, I don't think any part of the Bible can be written off. Misinterpreted, yes.

I tend to go that way also
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:36 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Dokstor S,

Of course you believe that, you are a christian Smile
When and if you stop believing that you will be something else entirely.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:38 pm
There are people here who say they are Christians, but don't believe the Bible is inerrant.

How would you respond to that?( if you don't mind the question? )
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:38 pm
Well, there won't be a when and if for me, Doktor S. I believe in it 100%.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:42 pm
Only the big Guy knows for sure what's in someone's heart and will be taking that into account for the transgressions of mis-representations or mal-interpretations.

like I said above - do you know Jesus and does he know you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:48 pm
Husker,

He does, indeed, know me. I know Him, but want to know Him better!
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
Lash wrote:
There are people here who say they are Christians, but don't believe the Bible is inerrant.

How would you respond to that?( if you don't mind the question? )

Ehh..I would say they stand on a fuzzy and hard to support position.
I mean, the only source of christian dogma and practice is the bible. I think as soon as you start picking and choosing parts that you like, while disregarding others, you become something other than 'christian'
I honestly have far more respect for the ones that hold true to the word, or at least attempt to.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:51 pm
Dok S, i agree with you to the extent that Jesus fulfilled many OT prophecies, so at least the prophetic parts of the OT, as well as the four Gospels, would have to be inerrant for Christianity to be the one true faith.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:57 pm
yitwail wrote:
Dok S, i agree with you to the extent that Jesus fulfilled many OT prophecies, so at least the prophetic parts of the OT, as well as the four Gospels, would have to be inerrant for Christianity to be the one true faith.

Would you say the four gospels, as well as the 'prophetic' parts of the OT are inerrant?
0 Replies