How Should a Christian Act?

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:13 am
Merry Andrew Wrote:

Quote:
I don't think I can help tou much here, Momma. I don't know too many people whom I would consider to be Christians. Oh, there are those who say they are and who attend church with fair regularity, but saying that I'm really a Martian doesn't entitle me to citizenship on that planet. I do have one very close friend who, along with his wife, claims to be 'born again.' He has four university degrees (include a Master's from Harvard) and he believes that every single word in the Bible is absolutely God's own truth. Go figure. I never argue the point with him, as it seems to be somehow important to his emotional well-being; so, if the subject of religion comes up, I try to change it. To his credit, I must say he has never tried to convert me, at least not any serious attempt, probably undertsanding the futility of that and realizing that, by and large, I live by a morality that is not far removed from the teachings of Jesus. This fellow, by the way, despite claiming to be 'born again' has never tried to get the date on his birth ceritficate changed. Me, I don't care to be born again. My mom did it right the first time around.

But that's a long ramble. To answer your question more directly, I expect Christians to act exactly like any other decent person would act in similar situations. I don't subscribe to the notion that one group is somehow the "elect" while the rest of us should sit back and learn from you who claim to be "saved."

Merry Andrew, you have helped more than you know! Your statement about the "elect" is one of the things I was wondering about.

I believe God's word is for everyone. So, to me, in that respect, we are all the elect. Merry Andrew, there are many types of Christians in today's world, that no one can or should deny. There are those that I can learn much from and those that I can learn next to nothing from. It's true just saying you are a Christian does not make you a Christian.

I think that everyday I need to be open and willing to learn something new. I, in no way, have all the answers. I don't even have half the questions yet. That is why, when I do happen upon a new question, I post it. I have learned quite a bit about Christian and non-Christian alike.

Thank you so much for posting!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:15 am
dlowan Wrote:

Quote:
Who cares?

Uh, I do. That's why I asked. Thank for posting, dlowan.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:17 am
Neologist Wrote:

Quote:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in Micah Clarke wrote:
I can clearly see that, in honesty, men must either give up war, or else they must confess that the words of the redeemer are too lofty for them, and that there is no longer any use in pretending that His teaching can be reduced to practice. I have seen a Christian minister blessing a cannon which had just been founded, and another blessing a warship as it glided from the slips. They, the so-called representatives of Christ, blessed these engines of destruction which cruel man has devised to destroy and tear his fellow-worms. What would we say if we read in holy writ of our Lord having blessed the battering-rams and catapults of the legions? Would we think that it was in agreement with his teaching?

Hi Neo! Thanks for posting. As always, what you post really gets me to thinking. I am still pondering on this. It is pretty profound.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:18 am
neologist wrote:
Dok has trouble reconciling the OT and NT. Understandable. Most believers can't wrap their brains around it either.

why is that?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:19 am
husker wrote:
neologist wrote:
Dok has trouble reconciling the OT and NT. Understandable. Most believers can't wrap their brains around it either.

why is that?
Why is what?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:21 am
neologist wrote:

Well, sort of. Although the idea (excuse) of 'the new covenant replacing the old' seems a pretty weak justification for the almost complete opposite philosophies espoused by the OT and NT, the NT is self contradictory enough to justify my statement.
Do I REALLY need to build a case for this and present examples?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
Doktor S wrote:
neologist wrote:

Well, sort of. Although the idea (excuse) of 'the new covenant replacing the old' seems a pretty weak justification for the almost complete opposite philosophies espoused by the OT and NT, the NT is self contradictory enough to justify my statement.
Do I REALLY need to build a case for this and present examples?
Try just one or two for starters; but be careful to avoid straw men.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:24 am
what the heck everyone is echoing me today - maybe I need to be more pointed
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:26 am
husker wrote:
what the heck everyone is echoing me today - maybe I need to be more pointed
'Point? What's your point?' - Stolen from Jay Leno
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:26 am
Momma
That Christians should practice what the preach. And in addition stop trying to ram their {fallacious] beliefs down our throats thru legislation.

" Boom" the hand grenade is about to explode.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
au1929 wrote:
Momma
That Christians should practice what the preach. And in addition stop trying to ram their {fallacious] beliefs down our throats thru legislation.

" Boom" the hand grenade is about to explode.
You'll get no explosions from me.
0 Replies

yitwail

Momma Angel wrote:

I agree with what you posted. But, can you explain a bit more the ....until you've tried all other means. That intrigues me.

Thank you so much for posting Yitwail!

you're welcome. the way i see things is, good intentions don't make up for bad results. so, if you're going to do something you otherwise wouldn't do, in order to achieve something worthwhile, you should first try to achieve your goal with methods that can't backfire. if that fails, then you go ahead and use any necessary means. i can provide examples, but i'm sure you can think of some yourself.
0 Replies

husker

Yeah I don't need to ram anything any longer and don't think I've given up.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:30 am
husker wrote:
Yeah I don't need to ram anything any longer and don't think I've given up.
I certainly hope not.

Sorry, I gotta go now.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
yitwail,

Thank you. I appreciate you elaborating. Yes, I agree and understand.

Hi Husker! How are you today my friend?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:38 am
doing very good - considering it's about 5 degrees this am
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:38 am
5 degrees! Oh my! It's about 55 here today!

au1929,

No grendades are exploding here.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:42 am
No grandads exploding here, either.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:44 am
Ok, just a couple then.
Who goes to heaven?

1 Tim.2:3-4
"God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved."

All or

Rom.9:18
"Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth."

Some?
Should we believe all things,

1 Cor.13:7
"Believeth all things."

Or be skeptical of things?
1 Th.5:21
"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

Was jesus the son of god,
Mt.27:54
Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

or merely a righteous man,

Lk.23:47
Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.

in the eyes of the roman centurion?

does EVERYBODY die,

Rom.5:12
"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men."

Or just nonbelievers?

Jn.11:26
"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."

It goes on and on and on....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:46 am
Go Neo!
0 Replies