I Say We Duke It Out!

Bartikus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I do indeed speak much as I write, though voice inflection, facial expression and body language in person-to-person interplay often obviate the need for painstaking verbal precision. I do say what I mean - I'm blunt to the point of abrasive sometimes. And trust me, I have no interest in making you or anyone else feel anything or any way.

Cool. I wish I had your eloquence.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:03 pm
Here's a take on sincerity:

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1706610#1706610]timber[/url] wrote:
An evangelical happened across a person about to suicide by leaping from a tall cliff. In full Christian charity, the evangelical rushed to intervene.

"Wait!" he cried, grabbing hold of the despondent other. "Do you believe in God?", he asked.

"Why, yes, I do", responded the other. "But I have nothing left in life but pain and loneliness, so I go to meet my God. It is my only option; I have nothing, and am all alone."

"Do you belong to a church" asked the evangelical.

"I did once", replied the other, "But fell away. As I told you, There's nothing left for me to live for."

"What church?" asked the evangelical.

"The Reformed Evangelical Church of Whatsits", replied the other.

"Why, that's the church to which I belong!" exclaimed the evangelical. "Reform of 1871, or reform of 1934?"

"Reform of 1934" Said the other.

"Amazing!" cried the evangelical. "Me, too. Eastern Conference or Western Conference?"

"Eastern Conference", came the reply from the other, who was now warming to his would be resucuer.

"Me, too!", the evangelical enthused. "New York Synod or Indianapolis Synod?"

"Indianapolis Synod"

"Oh," said the evangelical, delivering a hearty shove to the other. "In that case, then, die, you heathen scum"

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Bartikus wrote:

Thank you. Its a learned skill, not an inate attribute. Experience helps one with eloguence, and eloguence helps one elucidate experience :wink:

Addendum: I wish I typed as well as I speak Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:08 pm
timberlandko wrote:

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1706610#1706610]timber[/url] wrote:
An evangelical happened across a person about to suicide by leaping from a tall cliff. In full Christian charity, the evangelical rushed to intervene.

"Wait!" he cried, grabbing hold of the despondent other. "Do you believe in God?", he asked.

"Why, yes, I do", responded the other. "But I have nothing left in life but pain and loneliness, so I go to meet my God. It is my only option; I have nothing, and am all alone."

"I did once", replied the other, "But fell away. As I told you, There's nothing left for me to live for."

"Why, that's the church to which I belong!" exclaimed the evangelical. "Reform of 1871, or reform of 1934?"

"Amazing!" cried the evangelical. "Me, too. Eastern Conference or Western Conference?"

"Eastern Conference", came the reply from the other, who was now warming to his would be resucuer.

"Indianapolis Synod"

"Oh," said the evangelical, delivering a hearty shove to the other. "In that case, then, die, you heathen scum"

Bartikus wrote:

Thank you. Its a learned skill, not an inate attribute. Experience helps one with eloguence, and eloguence helps one elucidate experience :wink:

Laughing holy shiat that was funny.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:10 pm
timberlandko wrote:

"Indianapolis Synod"

Bartikus wrote:

Laughing holy shiat that was funny! I'm telling that one at church. lol
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
WTH with the double posting! oops

Anyways...I'll talk to you guys later. Christians gotta eat...just the same as you heathens do. Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:27 pm
Bartikus wrote:
WTH with the double posting! oops

Happens once in a while. Most often it comes about when you click "Submit" and the confirmation page doesn't pop up in timely fashion, leading you to think the original click didn't "go through", so you click "Submit" again. Often, this occurs during a period of heavier-than-typical website activity; the server is capable of only so many actions in a given period of time - it generally gets around to all pageview requests and post submissions, it sometimes just takes it a while to do so. A glitch anywhere along the internet chain between the server and your machine can have a similar effect. Odds are very high that once you've clicked "Submit", the post in question made it to the A2K server and will be present in its place on the thread in question. Don't worry about it too much; hell, even I do it once in a while Embarrassed

Something I've found that helps cut down on inadvertantly multi-posting:
When the post seems to "Hang", right-click in the "Reply" dialog box, copy the contents, then go to the top left of the page, click "Your Posts", and look to see if the problematic post in fact has shown up where its supposed to be. If it has, fine - nothing else needs be done. If it has not - which is rare but possible - you have the copied post; just paste it in and resubmit it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
With regard to J_B's post and quote about fundamentalists:

Quote mining on the topic of church-state separation will lead, for example, to ludicrous contentions about the christian devotion of Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was nominally a member of the vestry of an Episcopal church. Many of the political leaders of Virginia participated in what was the established church of the Commonwealth before the revolution. Once the revolution commenced, these same men moved quickly to disestablish the Episcopal church. Jefferson wrote scorching condemnations of organized religion, and "re-wrote" the four gospels to remove what he considered interpolation and Pauline heretical impositions. Look up "the Jefferson Bible" online sometime....

I just started reading your post, Set, but I want to comment on this before I continue. I have, and have read, the Jefferson Bible. In fact, our church gives a copy to each 14 year old as they complete their 'coming of age' program. Many times when I'm looking up a gospel quote from someone's post here, I'll check it in a complete bible and then look at the Jefferson Bible to see if it's in there, and what it has been partnered with. My younger daughter will be getting her copy in May as she completes the program.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:25 pm
Thanks for the advice Timber. Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm
I think it's time we drug the little wars going on in other threads back in here where they belong.

There has been a few posts from non-believers mentioning the fact that there is an influx of Christians and Christian topics popping up. Wow! Imagine that!

You can't tell me God doesn't answer prayer. I have been asking God to bring more Christians to A2K and he's sure doing it. I submit that the non-believers perhaps are feeling the power of God maybe?

The thing is, if non-believers could just get it into their heads that we do not consider ourselves holier than anyone, it might help. You know what, not one believer that I have seen post has said they are perfect. Not a single one. Quite the contrary, I have seen them admit their faults.

I am not saying there are no good atheists or your life is pointless or anything because there are and it isn't. But, it seems to me that the non-believers are the ones putting the labels on themselves by what they post.

Now, am I trying to stir up anything? Not really. I'm just hoping that the rancor going on in other threads can be brought in here and the other topics can continue more on topic.

So, who wants to take the first swing? :wink:
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:47 pm
Use the weapon you were using before momma....that last time freaked me out..it was cool.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:54 pm
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:59 pm
I can't disagree with anything you said, Lash
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:00 am
I like you more every day!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:02 am
I may not always be right, but I tell the truth. :-)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:05 am
Very Happy

It's very freeing to just say I'm wrong sometimes. Who cares?

The universe won't implode or anything. Very Happy

I was wrong just a few hours ago. Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:05 am
Bartikus,

You mean my Smiley WMD?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:12 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Bartikus,

You mean my Smiley WMD?

Smileys and your extremely kind words. I seen people having some meltdowns and going off the deep end when you consistently did that.

Snood described it as hell freezing over.

I also agree with you Lash.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:13 am
Never fear, Bartikus. I have stored up my ammunition I am just waiting for the war to begin! :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:13 am
Lash wrote:
Very Happy

It's very freeing to just say I'm wrong sometimes. Who cares?

The universe won't implode or anything. Very Happy

I was wrong just a few hours ago. Very Happy

I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong. :-D
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:14 am
ahahahaha

You SLAY me with that rapier wit!!!
0 Replies