I Say We Duke It Out!

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
That's the big religionist canard--no one takes away your right to adhere to any religious belief. You are simply constrained to keep it to yourself.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 12:57 pm
Setanta,

I am talking about freedom from religion, not freedom of religion. Freedom from religion does take away my right to religious freedom.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 12:57 pm
Re: I Say We Duke It Out!
Momma Angel wrote:
For those that know me (in these threads) you know how much I hate it when someone demeans God or anyone for their belief in God.

I am still having get past your start off line of "I hate"...forgive me here but that doesn't sound like a particularly Christian way of approaching things. I am just curious how you intend to reach people in a kind and loving manner when you come out of the starting gate with so much antipathy towards those who do not view things the way you do. Just wondering why you chose that particular word, I am in no way looking to demean your way of thinking or your beliefs.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
Habibi's argument is a non-starter. When i was in the army, no adherent of any religion was ever required to stand duty on a day sacred to their religion. I and all the Jews always worked on christian holidays, and got other days off, usually with a pass as well, in compensation. I managed to get "Druid" put in my personnel file, with the result that i was always able to insist that i have Saturday night off duty, and to be allowed to go alone to a pine grove, if one were available. What did they know? They went along with it because it was easier than dealing with an appeal to higher authority.

... and?

Yes, in an army - an army of a diverse nation, to boot - you will always be able to find enough people to fill in for those who celebrate, and thus you will have the best of both worlds; the army keeps functioning, unhampered by religion, and those who are religious, get to celebrate. No dilemma between freedom from and freedom of religion presents itself.

Unfortunately, the supermarket or diner around the corner doesn't quite have the same human resources, which means it'll either

- have to close; leading to what Parados criticised as forcing the minority in a way to celebrate too, by taking away their chance of shopping or dining out on that day

- or force people of the majority religion to work on their holy day, which I think would offend the freedom of religion, as the freedom of religion includes the freedom to practice one's religion too - and since most religions are practiced through rituals and celebrations, thus the freedom to partake in such rituals and celebrations as well.

If my argument was a non-starter, you have failed to outline any reason why...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:10 pm
Freedom from religion means no one is forced to accept any religion. It does not mean no one can practice a religion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:13 pm
Well, I do hate it when anyone demeans God. I follow the "hate the sin and not the sinner" rule, Sturgis.

There seems to be a common mispercetion about Christians. We aren't perfect. We have the same feelings as any other human being. I don't hate any person. I may hate what they do or say, but I don't hate them because of it.

And don't worry about sounding demeaning or anything. I meant it when I said I wouldn't call anyone on it in this thread. I need to know all these things. I want to know all these things.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:13 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
nimh,

The problem would then be (if there were freedom from religion) that my right would be taken away. The way it is now is everyone has the right to either practice their religion or not even have one if they choose.

What is an acceptable compromise?

Momma - I have no problem with foregoing on shopping for a day if that happens to be the holy day of most people around me, so I might be the wrong person to ask.

Like I summarised in Fox's thread about Christmas a while ago already, "I'm of the multiculturalist variety that encourages everyone to express and share their own culture, mixing it up, celebrating diversity -- rather than of the variety that tries to forcibly guard some cultural "neutrality" of the public space by keeping everyone from expressing their culture."

I don't mind being confronted with the expressions of other people's difference, even if it causes the odd awkwardness or impracticality, as long as they don't mind having to deal with mine.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:15 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Freedom from religion means no one is forced to accept any religion. It does not mean no one can practice a religion.

Yup, but that brings us back to Christmas and the question raised in this thread: at what point does the majority practicing its religion - in Parados's example by closing shop - come to feel like forcing the minority to accept it too - in Parados's example by staying at home?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:29 pm
Quote:
Churches close for Christmas
By RACHEL ZOLL AP religion writer
December 7, 2005

This Christmas, no prayers will be said in several megachurches around the country.

Even though the holiday falls this year on a Sunday, when churches normally host thousands for worship, pastors are canceling services, anticipating low attendance on what they call a family day. ...

Laughing Gotta luvvit Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
edgar,

I am not forcing you to accept any religion just as you are not forcing me to accept atheism.

So, you have freedom from religion if that is what you desire. You don't have to practice it. You don't have to recognize it. You don't have to talk about it, just as I have the right to practice it, recognize it, and practice it.

Do you celebrate Christmas? I don't mean in the religious sense. Do you have a tree, buy presents, share company and meals, etc.? Isn't what is important is what Christmas means to you? Isn't it in our hearts where the true celebration lies?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:34 pm
timber,

Actually, I find that quite sad. Even the church is not wanting to recognize Christ. Very sad indeed. But, like I just said to edgar, it's in the heart that the true celebration lies.
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
Interestingly enough, it's not the church that's choosing not to recognize Christ, it's the members. The church planned to have the service, but had to cancel it due to low attendance.
At least that's what it seems like from the little article shown.
Where's the rest of the story?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Setanta,

I am talking about freedom from religion, not freedom of religion. Freedom from religion does take away my right to religious freedom.

This is just nonsense. Once again, if you are going to make such extravagent remarks, you need to be able to back up your claims. How is it that you contend that someone else being free from religion in any way diminishes your freedom of religion? Do you contend that your freedom of religion entitles your to foist your belief onto someone else? Otherwise, what basis do you have for this silly claim?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:38 pm
A holiday like Christmas will be practiced by a majority so great, it would be like resisting the tide to go against celebrating it. I personally love the holiday season. The Christmas notion of Peace on Earth, etc. is something I not only relate to, but also strive for. I get close with my family and really enjoy myself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:44 pm
nimh wrote:
Yes, in an army - an army of a diverse nation, to boot - you will always be able to find enough people to fill in for those who celebrate, and thus you will have the best of both worlds; the army keeps functioning, unhampered by religion, and those who are religious, get to celebrate. No dilemma between freedom from and freedom of religion presents itself.

Unfortunately, the supermarket or diner around the corner doesn't quite have the same human resources, which means it'll either

- have to close; leading to what Parados criticised as forcing the minority in a way to celebrate too, by taking away their chance of shopping or dining out on that day

- or force people of the majority religion to work on their holy day, which I think would offend the freedom of religion, as the freedom of religion includes the freedom to practice one's religion too - and since most religions are practiced through rituals and celebrations, thus the freedom to partake in such rituals and celebrations as well.

Nonsense. You are adducing examples from private enterprise. No capitalist operating within the law is required to serve the convenience of anyone else, although they may wish to do so for their own profit. But in a matter of private enterprise, no one else has any right to contend that the operation of the private enterprise must serve their personal convience. The same concept applies to the employees of a private enterprise operation--the accept the conditions of employment, and have no case against their employer unless and until they can show that they were not apprised in advance of obligation which might conflict with their religious scruples.

In the Columbus, Ohio area there is a large and successful chain of discount department stores named for the founder--Schottenstein's. The founder was a Jew, and so are his descendants who still own that chain, and the Value City Furniture chain. They close on Saturday, and they are open on Sunday. They close on Jewish holidays, and they are open on christian holidays. Anyone who takes employment with them knows this in advance, or are informed during the interview process. No one is obliged to work there knowing those conditions despite personal scruple, and Schottenstein's is not obliged to keep operating hours to suit the convenience of someone else's religious scruples.

This is one of the silliest arguments you've ever advanced here. It is pure sophistry--a demonstration of the abiltiy to argue without having a valid argument.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:44 pm
Setanta,

I am not foisting my religion on you or anyone else. If you put constraints on me as to where to practice my religion, or tell me I can practice it but keep it to myself, then of course it diminishes my freedom of religion.

edgar,

Then if this is the way you celebrate Christmas, how am I or anyone else forcing it upon you? You are choosing to celebrate according to your personal beliefs, feelings, etc.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:45 pm
Setanta wrote:
nimh wrote:

Nonsense. You are adducing examples from private enterprise. No capitalist operating within the law is required to serve the convenience of anyone else, although they may wish to do so for their own profit. But in a matter of private enterprise, no one else has any right to contend that the operation of the private enterprise must serve their personal convience. The same concept applies to the employees of a private enterprise operation--they accept the conditions of employment, and have no case against their employer unless and until they can show that they were not apprised in advance of an obligation which might conflict with their religious scruples.

In the Columbus, Ohio area there is a large and successful chain of discount department stores named for the founder--Schottenstein's. The founder was a Jew, and so are his descendants who still own that chain, and the Value City Furniture chain. They close on Saturday, and they are open on Sunday. They close on Jewish holidays, and they are open on christian holidays. Anyone who takes employment with them knows this in advance, or are informed during the interview process. No one is obliged to work there knowing those conditions despite personal scruple, and Schottenstein's is not obliged to keep operating hours to suit the convenience of someone else's religious scruples.

This is one of the silliest arguments you've ever advanced here. It is pure sophistry--a demonstration of the abiltiy to argue without having a valid argument.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:49 pm
When I speak of religion getting forced on someone, I mean when you put it in government supported institutions, or knocking on my door constantly. Celebrating Christmas or not is my choice, when I have freedom from religion. Putting my own interprtation on it is my right.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:50 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Setanta,

I am not foisting my religion on you or anyone else. If you put constraints on me as to where to practice my religion, or tell me I can practice it but keep it to myself, then of course it diminishes my freedom of religion.

The first amendment to the Constitution reads, in its entirety: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You are guaranteed the free exercise of your religion--you are not guaranteed the right to exercise your creed in any and all places at any or all times. Mr. Justice Holmes observed that freedom of speech does not protect the right to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. By the same logic, the free exercise of religion does not grant any right to exercise one's religion in a public manner which may prove offensive to those who do not hold with your particular imaginary friend superstition. Just where do you get the loony notion that the free exercise of religion means you can do it whenever and wherever you like? You have no case.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:53 pm
For the record, I haven't a clue how i managed to quote myself, although i suspect i made an error in attempting to edit--in which case, read the version in which i quoted myself, as it is likely to have fewer errors.
0 Replies