Ture torture

Diane

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 06:22 pm
Drew Dad, my gosh, you have a point. Way to go McG.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:45 pm
Why do conservatives hate America?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 11:00 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
What I love about these discussions is that on the outside chance anyone was swayed by someone's else's argument ("Golly, maybe I've been wrong all this time!"), would he or she ever admit it here?

That I'd like to see!

I thought that having "Little Boots" Bush for a leader was about as bad as torture could get...

Live and learn.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 05:57 am
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh: You have failed to understand my point. Willfully, I believe.

Not wilfully; in fact, I believe I understood you loud and clear.

The point of this thread is to point out that what Saddam did, now that was TRUE torture. The implication being that other stuff is not true torture. McG followed up by specifying that what he thought was NOT true torture, was the stuff liberals accuse the US of doing.

As an example of that, he mentioned the pics of people in hoods. You followed up with saying that yes, much of the stuff called torture by US critics is similar to what happens in hazing.

Now other posters already explicitized that the pictures we saw about Abu Ghraib were only the tip of the iceberg of what happened there. The worse things were just not considered fit, by the media, by the politicians, for family viewing. You may therefore deny they happened, but it was Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina who said at the time that "we're talking rape and murder here".

The very question McG raises in the title of his thread - what Saddam did, now that was true torture - raises the question of where the line is, according to you, between what is "true" torture and what is just the stuff liberals call torture, which is more the hazing-type, "innocuous interrogation techniques", to use your words, that makes the word meaningless. In fact, YOU raised that very question:

Ticomaya wrote:
Consequently, if you ask me whether I condone the "torture" being done by "US personnel and allies," we must define the word, as joe has pointed out.

OK, so let's get down to it. Put up, now that you've asked the question. We in our turn have brought examples of what us liberals would most definitely condemn as true torture. Beating someone's legs to pulp. Near-drowning someone time and again. Suspending someone from the celings by his wrists, handcuffed behind his back. Do those examples meet your definition of "true" torture? You appear to be ducking that question, having skipped answering it some three times in a row now. What is so challenging about answering it?

I can hazard a guess: because admitting that all of those three, and not just the first one, constitute "true" torture, implies admitting that the US interrogators engage in true torture - not just by excess, but as a 'tool' that's actually defended under the term "stress positions". The same euphemism you used as an example of things you did NOT consider "true torture".

OK so what about the "stress position" I described above? I had to google up what was meant in current conservative-speak by "stress positions", and this is what I found. Is that what you meant too? Do you not consider that torture? If you do, then what "stress positions" were you talking about that are not? Did you realise that US interrogators include positions like the one I described under this nomer? Will you still describe the use of "stress positions" as an "innocuous interrogation technique", without conditionalising that, now that you know?

See, we have plenty of questions for you, in the very context of the question you raised yourself. So far, you seem to be ducking them. But you still have a chance to outline your own position, here, and make clear where exactly you stand, instead of limiting yourself to condeming unspecified excesses, ridiculing what liberals call torture, and fudging up where you stand exactly on where the difference is.

It's that tactic that raises the suspicion that you refuse to be cornered into specifications just so you can always change your definition still, depending on what US interrogators may still turn out to also do regularly ("oh no, but thats not real torture either"). Much like Gonzales.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:06 am
Seems true torture for McG, Tico et al, is what anyone else does, and never what the US does.

I do wonder what they call what the US does when it is done TO US citizens?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:44 am
This might clarify today's position of the USA abit - could well be that we hear tonoght or tomorrow another and different one:

Quote:
Wednesday, December 7, 2005; Posted: 11:33 GMT

Rice moves to clarify U.S. interrogation methods

Secretary of state says cruel or degrading methods banned

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice sought Wednesday to clarify U.S. policy on harsh interrogation methods, saying no U.S. personnel may use cruel or degrading practices at home or abroad.Rice's remarks followed confusion in the United States over whether CIA employees could use means otherwise off limits for U.S. personnel.

It also follows strong and sustained criticism in Europe over techniques such as waterboarding, in which prisoners are strapped to a plank and dumped in water.

"As a matter of U.S. policy," Rice said the United Nations Convention against Torture "extends to U.S. personnel wherever they are, whether they are in the U.S. or outside the U.S."

The U.N. treaty also prohibits treatment that doesn't meet the legal definition of torture, including many practices that human rights organizations say were used routinely at the U.S. military prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The Bush administration has previously said the ban on cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment did not apply to Americans working overseas. In practice, that meant CIA employees could use methods in overseas prisons that would not be allowed in the United States.

Human rights organizations and critics in Europe have called that a loophole for treatment almost indistinguishable from torture. Prisoners suspected of links to terrorism have been chained to the floors of their cells, denied sleep and led to believe they could be killed.

Separately, Rice delivered a rebuke to Russian President Vladimir Putin over a new law she said infringes on democracy. Drawing a comparison with Ukraine's new democratic government, Rice criticized a Russian law restricting the activities of human rights groups, democracy promoters and other independent organizations.

"Democracy is built, of course, on elections, it's built on principle, it's built on rule of law and freedom of speech," she said.

Rice said U.S. diplomats have told Putin they are concerned about the restrictions.

The secretary of state spoke during a press conference Wednesday with Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko in his nation's capital, Kiev. Rice's visit was intended, in part, to bolster Yushchenko a year after he came to power in a popular revolution.

She also took questions from university students before a meeting later Wednesday with Ukraine's foreign minister.

Rice's five-day European trip, which has also included stops in Germany and Romania, is continuing to Brussels, Belgium, for a visit to NATO headquarters.

Her motorcade entered the Ukrainian capital Tuesday along the route where demonstrators set up a tent city last year and
eventually helped force aside a Russian-allied presidential candidate. [...]Source
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:15 am
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh: You have failed to understand my point. Willfully, I believe.

Not wilfully; in fact, I believe I understood you loud and clear.

The point of this thread is to point out that what Saddam did, now that was TRUE torture. The implication being that other stuff is not true torture. McG followed up by specifying that what he thought was NOT true torture, was the stuff liberals accuse the US of doing.

As an example of that, he mentioned the pics of people in hoods. You followed up with saying that yes, much of the stuff called torture by US critics is similar to what happens in hazing.

Now other posters already explicitized that the pictures we saw about Abu Ghraib were only the tip of the iceberg of what happened there. The worse things were just not considered fit, by the media, by the politicians, for family viewing. You may therefore deny they happened, but it was Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina who said at the time that "we're talking rape and murder here".

The very question McG raises in the title of his thread - what Saddam did, now that was true torture - raises the question of where the line is, according to you, between what is "true" torture and what is just the stuff liberals call torture, which is more the hazing-type, "innocuous interrogation techniques", to use your words, that makes the word meaningless. In fact, YOU raised that very question:

Ticomaya wrote:
Consequently, if you ask me whether I condone the "torture" being done by "US personnel and allies," we must define the word, as joe has pointed out.

OK, so let's get down to it. Put up, now that you've asked the question. We in our turn have brought examples of what us liberals would most definitely condemn as true torture. Beating someone's legs to pulp. Near-drowning someone time and again. Suspending someone from the celings by his wrists, handcuffed behind his back. Do those examples meet your definition of "true" torture? You appear to be ducking that question, having skipped answering it some three times in a row now. What is so challenging about answering it?

Point out where I have "skipped" answering that question directed to me one time, much less three times in a row. There was no such question directed at me to have been "ducked."

There's nothing challenging about answering that question, IMV. I referred in my first post to the "few isolated (and non-sanctioned) cases where there have been deaths at the hands of the US interrogators." Maybe you didn't understand what I was suggesting. Yes, beating someone's legs to pulp, suspending someone from the ceilings by their wrists handcuffed behind their back, are examples of what I would call torture. I specifically pointed out that those are few and isolated, and non-sanctioned. I realize there are those who believe they were sanctioned, and we disagree on that point.

Quote:
I can hazard a guess: because admitting that all of those three, and not just the first one, constitute "true" torture, implies admitting that the US interrogators engage in true torture - not just by excess, but as a 'tool' that's actually defended under the term "stress positions". The same euphemism you used as an example of things you did NOT consider "true torture".

You really need to stop hazarding a guess at what you think my responses will be. You frequently presume I'm going to respond a particular way, and you're frequently wrong.

I admit that "true torture" has occurred in a few isolated instances, but I deny that it is sanctioned by the government. That behavior -- what I've been made aware of -- is reprehensible, and not authorized.

Quote:
OK so what about the "stress position" I described above? I had to google up what was meant in current conservative-speak by "stress positions", and this is what I found. Is that what you meant too? Do you not consider that torture? If you do, then what "stress positions" were you talking about that are not? Did you realise that US interrogators include positions like the one I described under this nomer? Will you still describe the use of "stress positions" as an "innocuous interrogation technique", without conditionalising that, now that you know?

I pulled the term "stress position" from joefromchicago's post .... HERE.

I believe he was referring to McG's description of "standing on a box in a poncho" in the first post of this thread, but you will have to ask joefromchicago what he meant if this means that much to you.

But the "stress positions" I am referring to are the "innocuous interrogation techniques" that are inappropriate (standing on a poncho on a box), but do not cause a great deal of physical pain, and certainly no lasting marks. The point I was making -- this is the point you are ignoring, BTW -- is that the lumping together of these "innocuous interrogation techniques" in with cutting off hands, tongues, and heads, sticking various body parts in a meat grinder, under the blanket term "torture," merely renders the term meaningless, except in the hands of anti-war leftists whose intent is to do or say anything if it makes the US and its military look bad.

So that's my question for you: Why do you insist on lumping the relatively less-intrusive interrogation techniques (standing in a poncho on a box), under the label "torture"? Are you not trying to equate the actions of the US with Saddam?

Quote:
See, we have plenty of questions for you, in the very context of the question you raised yourself. So far, you seem to be ducking them. But you still have a chance to outline your own position, here, and make clear where exactly you stand, instead of limiting yourself to condeming unspecified excesses, ridiculing what liberals call torture, and fudging up where you stand exactly on where the difference is.

First of all, I am not obliged to answer any of your questions, so you can stop considering that I owe you any such deference, nimh. But if you will honestly review my interaction with others on this board, you will be reminded that I make every effort to answer questions when they are posed of me, honestly and truthfully.

I do not think making somone stand on a box with a hood over their head is "torture." I think that cutting someone's tongue out of their head is "torture."

I do not think stacking naked prisoners in a pyramid is torture. I think sticking a burning poker in someone's eye, or cutting off their hand, is torture.

The point of this thread was to suggest that the frequent reference to the former activities in my examples as "torture" waters down the meaning of the term. If you want to call everything "torture," that does not account for the degree of permanent injury, disfigurment, and death that permeated the torture under Saddam. Psychological or minor physical discomfort hardly compares. That is the point which this thread intended to convey, it is the point of my posts in this thread, and it is the point which I have accused you of willfully ignoring.

Quote:
It's that tactic that raises the suspicion that you refuse to be cornered into specifications just so you can always change your definition still, depending on what US interrogators may still turn out to also do regularly ("oh no, but thats not real torture either"). Much like Gonzales.

You are free to suspect all you want about me and what I think. You have been wrong about me before (as you may recall), and you are wrong now. What I consider torture has nothing to do with what the Bush Administration may or may not be doing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:28 am
Ticomaya wrote:
I do not think making somone stand on a box with a hood over their head is "torture." I think that cutting someone's tongue out of their head is "torture."

I do not think stacking naked prisoners in a pyramid is torture. I think sticking a burning poker in someone's eye, or cutting off their hand, is torture.

According to what Rice said the last two, the US-government now changed the opinion and from nowon no cruel or degrading practices are allowed anymore.

From my quote above:
Quote:
"As a matter of U.S. policy," Rice said the United Nations Convention against Torture "extends to U.S. personnel wherever they are, whether they are in the U.S. or outside the U.S."

The U.N. treaty also prohibits treatment that doesn't meet the legal definition of torture, including many practices that human rights organizations say were used routinely at the U.S. military prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:34 am
the message I seem to be getting from Rice and Cheney is "We don't use torture and you can't make us stop"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
I think dys has the right of it.

"We don't use 'torture'* and you can't make us stop."

*Because our legal department gets to define 'torture,' and we will not be pinned down on specific techniques.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
dyslexia wrote:
the message I seem to be getting from Rice and Cheney is "We don't use torture and you can't make us stop"

Actually, the administration is now saying: "we've never used torture, and now we're going to stop. And we'll never use torture in the future, but we want to be able to keep doing it."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
"And we've made it clear to everyone that torture is not tolerated, and we've told them what constitutes torture, but we can't share that information with the press."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:46 am
Doublethink.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:24 pm
And double speak.

But the think is worser, I agree.
0 Replies