Ture torture

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 10:15 pm
This is why I object to calling standing on a box in a poncho "torture". It lessens the impact of true torture.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,765 • Replies: 73
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 11:00 pm
I call it Ture Torture, myself.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 11:07 pm
Oh, it's supposed to say, "TRUE torture". Geez, it took me a minute of going, "What the hell is "ture torture?" before I realized it was a typo. I thought it was some Iraqi word.

Saddam. What a piece of **** he is, huh?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 03:10 am
In 1982?! That was when the USA had a great and valuable friend in Saddam Hussein and his regime wasn't it?

During those heady days nothing was too good for Iraq. Weapons, anthrax, army intelligence, helicopters and lots and lots and lots of pesticides for (wink, wink) 'agricultural' purposes.

Saddam's good and true friend Ronald Reagan even sent a Donald Rumsfeld (and a billion $) to let Saddam know that everything was fine and if he needed some assistance in killing Iranians, Kurds or dissident Iraqiis, he always could rely on the USA!!
0 Replies

callig

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 04:05 am
Just because you don't hear about "true torture" in the MSM doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Quote:

http://www.counterpunch.org/phillips12022005.html

Military autopsy reports provide indisputable proof that detainees are being tortured to death while in US military custody. Yet the US corporate media are covering it with the seriousness of a garage sale for the local Baptist Church.

A recent American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) posting of one of forty-four US military autopsy reports reads as follows:

"Final Autopsy Report: DOD 003164, (Detainee) Died as a result of asphyxia (lack of oxygen to the brain) due to strangulation as evidenced by the recently fractured hyoid bone in the neck and soft tissue hemorrhage extending downward to the level of the right thyroid cartilage. Autopsy revealed bone fracture, rib fractures, contusions in mid abdomen, back and buttocks extending to the left flank, abrasions, lateral buttocks. Contusions, back of legs and knees; abrasions on knees, left fingers and encircling to left wrist. Lacerations and superficial cuts, right 4th and 5th fingers. Also, blunt force injuries, predominately recent contusions (bruises) on the torso and lower extremities. Abrasions on left wrist are consistent with use of restraints. No evidence of defense injuries or natural disease. Manner of death is homicide. Whitehorse Detainment Facility, Nasiriyah, Iraq."

The ACLU website further reveals how: "a 27-year-old Iraqi male died while being interrogated by Navy Seals on April 5, 2004, in Mosul, Iraq. During his confinement he was hooded, flex-cuffed, sleep deprived and subjected to hot and cold environmental conditions, including the use of cold water on his body and hood. The exact cause of death was "undetermined" although the autopsy stated that hypothermia may have contributed to his death.

Another Iraqi detainee died on January 9, 2004, in Al Asad, Iraq, while being interrogated. He was standing, shackled to the top of a doorframe with a gag in his mouth, at the time he died. The cause of death was asphyxia and blunt force injuries.

So read several of the 44 US military autopsy reports on the ACLU website -evidence of extensive abuse of US detainees in Iraq and Afghanistan 2002 through 2004. Anthony Romero, Executive Director of ACLU stated, "There is no question that US interrogations have resulted in deaths." ACLU attorney Amrit Sing adds, "These documents present irrefutable evidence that US operatives tortured detainees to death during interrogations."

What a place the US is becoming.You cannot even complain about prisoner treatment in China without getting a red face!!!
And what is worse, the main culprit,Osama still rides along on his donkey in Pakistan.
IF and when the so-called war on terror ever ends,future generations may well look back in disbelief and wonder how it could have been that a nation that waged a global conflict under the banner of democracy could have so blatantly flouted that principle.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:11 am
Wow. Saddam puts people through a meat grinder and you guys complain and makes comments about typos, Reagan, and Osama... Shocked

It's sad. I'm disgusted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:16 am
So who cares whether or not you are sad and disgusted? If a sanctimonious, self-righteous Buddhist who delights in killing, the slaughter of thousands, now wants to castigate the left because they won't join him a bout of crocodile tears, we're supposed to be impressed? Your basic argument is so typical of witless rightwingnutism--"Oh yeah ? ! ? ! ? Well look what them guys did, they're much worse than we are! ! !" As though the depth of anyone else's depravity ever justifies the depraved on the part of our nation. We have a hypocritical and militarily incompetent administration preening itself in the MSM spotlight on their noble cause of bringing democracy and freedom to the middle east, which they cannot seem to accomplish without torturing people held incommunicado without habeus corpus, without benefit of counsel and without trial. And your justification? Well, just look how bad Hussein was.

It's sad. I'm disgusted.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:20 am
Re: Ture torture
McGentrix wrote:
This is why I object to calling standing on a box in a poncho "torture". It lessens the impact of true torture.

And this is why I thought they should have shown all of the pictures, not just the ones deemed not to be too disturbing.

Shall I post the account of the gentlemen who were handcuffed to the ceiling and had their legs beaten until they were beyond medical help and died?

You're a real piece of work, McG.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:22 am
And what Set said.

"I'm not supposed to hit my brother? Well Jimmy's brother hits him with a brick!"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:24 am
I hit my brother with a brick once't . . . in 1955 . . . he hasn't forgotten . . .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:28 am
McGentrix wrote:
Wow. Saddam puts people through a meat grinder and you guys complain and makes comments about typos, Reagan, and Osama... Shocked

It's sad. I'm disgusted.

But not surprised...and around here, neither am I.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

And this is why I thought they should have shown all of the pictures, not just the ones deemed not to be too disturbing.

Shall I post the account of the gentlemen who were handcuffed to the ceiling and had their legs beaten until they were beyond medical help and died?

You don't get it do you?

I am in no way suggesting anyone is less guilty of anything because someone else's actions. If that's what you get from the first post of thread then you obviously misconstrued what was written.

You are now guilty of the same offense you accuse me of. Trying to make limited cases of abuse become monstrous cases of torture and it's just not true. The left has no concept of the difference between abuse and torture. They have become interchangeable in the liberal lexicon That was my point. Some of you have no actual concept of what torture is and that saddens me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:35 am
So what ARE you saying, McG?

Saddam is a bad guy who did bad things including torture. Full stop.

And? Are you saying that no Americans oversaw or conducted any "true torture"? Where is the line between "true torture" and, I dunno, "torture lite"?
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:43 am
Apparently if it's "only" psychological torture, it's OK in McG's book.........................??
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:44 am
(As DrewDad points out, we know it went well beyond that, to physical torture causing death...)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:01 am
McGentrix wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

You don't get it do you?

If you mean do I get that you want to turn a blind eye to abuses under the watch of the US? Yes, I get it.

McGentrix wrote:
I am in no way suggesting anyone is less guilty of anything because someone else's actions. If that's what you get from the first post of thread then you obviously misconstrued what was written.

You were comparing actions under Saddam's regime to actions under the US occupation; you cherry picked the two incidents in an attempt to whitewash torture by the US and its allies. Am I close?

McGentrix wrote:
Trying to make limited cases of abuse become monstrous cases of torture and it's just not true. The left has no concept of the difference between abuse and torture. They have become interchangeable in the liberal lexicon That was my point. Some of you have no actual concept of what torture is and that saddens me.

I'm clear on what torture is. The fact that the media is unable to display images of "true torture" on television doesn't affect my understanding in the least. Apparently it does affect your understanding, however.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:06 am
I am not trying to whitewash anything. I am not comparing Saddams actions to US actions. I posted a story showing what actual torture is and what the Iraqi people had to go through while in the hands of a sadistic bastard.

"Torture" has become nothing more than a buzzword in liberal circles and has lost all meaning when coming from their mouths.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:12 am
That again begs the question -- does that mean you think that no Americans oversaw or conducted any "true torture"?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:13 am
McGentrix wrote:
I am not trying to whitewash anything. I am not comparing Saddams actions to US actions. I posted a story showing what actual torture is and what the Iraqi people had to go through while in the hands of a sadistic bastard.

"Torture" has become nothing more than a buzzword in liberal circles and has lost all meaning when coming from their mouths.

You specifically mentioned the famous photo of a poncho-clad prisoner standing on a box. Backpedal all you want, but the fact remains that you made a comparison. And a devious comparison, too, as you deliberately turn a blind eye to the accounts of torture by the US.

If you wish to discuss whether various "techniques" constitute torture, then let's go.

1. Beating someone's legs until they would require surgery to be able to walk again. Then allowing them to hang handcuffed from the ceiling until they die. Torture or not torture?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:19 am
Woman Testifies of Torture by Saddam's Men
0 Replies