FIFA World Cup 2006 [R]

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:47 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I think that the Italian guy deliberately insulted Zidane's mother, plus he knew that Zidane would react, given his previous track record.

No question that's the likely scenario ... hope he'll react and get him off the pitch.

Unfortunate he couldn't control his emotions.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:47 am
Jorge Valdano, who was the one that basically hired Zidane for Real Madrid back in the day, thinks that the provocation was towards Zidane's mother. Given his family and social background, it could be. Regarding the headbutt, probably he backed away in the last moment from hitting the italian's face.

CalamityJane wrote:

After what happened with Germany and Frings, I don't put anything past
the Italians. Yes, they won, but not in a fair game. Evil or Very Mad

Not in a fair game??? Why wasn't it fair?

Well, I've come to believe after years and years that in football, as in life, theres no justice and no fairness. Sometimes it is luck, sometimes the ref, sometimes...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:50 am
"embonpoint" = to illustrate the 'french way' ( Shocked ) :

http://www.maroc-hebdo.press.ma/MHinternet/Archives_476/ph_476/femme.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But those things we were generally praised for - traffic, humour, beer, countrysite etc etc -

wait wait back up the truck..

..the germans were praised for their sense of humour?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:47 am
Marco took a dive on that head-butt...the nerve! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:56 am
Ticomaya wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
I think that the Italian guy deliberately insulted Zidane's mother

No question that's the likely scenario ... hope he'll react and get him off the pitch.

Well, I can understand that... some Hungarian called my mother a racist, I smashed my laptop on his head.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:58 am
Defenses are taught to provoke attackers.
Attackers are taught to pay no attention to provocations.
Everywhere.
Since young ages.

I see sore losers everywhere.
Valdano made a fool of himself on TV last night, IMHO.
And Menotti is sore because Italy beat Argentina in 1978, when he was the coach, and he got scolded by the military junta of his country.
They have made fools of themselves during all this tournament.
Aguirre told them Italy would play the final. They laughed at him. Two (great) has-beens laughed at Spain's best coach.

They scorned Italy for playing with one attacker only.
France played with one attacker only. Domenech was so timid, he pulled Henry when Trezeguet entered.

Re-watch the freaking game and see who had control of the ball (Italy 55%) and who had more (real) goal opportunities.

You can tell me Cannavaro looks like a young Mussolini and that you dislike the Azzurri. Don't tell me they didn't deserve to win. Be a sport.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:58 am
[quote="nimh] Well, I can understand that... some Hungarian called my mother a racist, I smashed my laptop on his head.[/quote]

France versus Hungary in the final, and Zidane playing with a laptop ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:03 pm
Hey, Fbaezer, Cannavaro looks like a young Mussolini.

(I'm feeling very Guslike today..)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:21 pm
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:

Well, I can understand that... some Hungarian called my mother a racist, I smashed my laptop on his head.

Did you get a red card?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:25 pm
From the (London) Evening Standard, today's West End Final edition:

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zlbodk.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:29 pm
nimh wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But those things we were generally praised for - traffic, humour, beer, countrysite etc etc -

wait wait back up the truck..

..the germans were praised for their sense of humour?

Now now, Nimh. You should take this seriously, you know.
The german sense of humour is no laughing matter.

<runs out of door and hides in gerden, before CJ arrives>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:

Did you get a red card?

No, a wodka.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:41 pm
German sense of humour IS laughing matter, Milord.

We laugh a lot when we're told about what the Germans consider funny.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
flushd wrote:
Plus, I like seeing some roughhousing and was amazed at how many guys were going down. Woo hoo! Reminds me of hockey back in the day when I still enjoyed watching the pros.

St. Louis Blues Recruit Zidane for NHL

Zinedine Zidane, captain of the French World Cup team which lost a tense final round game to Italy, has been offered a spot on the roster of the American hockey team St. Louis Blues.

This unexpected twist compounds a day of intrigue for Zidane, sparked when, after a heated exchange of comments with Italy's Marco Materazzi on the pitch in overtime, the Frenchman head-butted Materazzi, slamming square into the Italian defender's chest and knocking him to the grass. This move, allegedly witnessed by a line umpire, resulted in a red card and ejection from the game for Zidane, and FIFA may choose to fine him.

An unapologetic Zidane spat at the media afterwards, saying, "This wimp blocks and holds me, then verbally assaults me. I was merely giving him a taste of his own medicine."

He continued, "If only this were the NHL - those guys get into all sorts of scrapes and fights, and they're just given a quick timeout. Hockey is tough, where slamming into each other is just part of the gameplay."

St. Louis Blues head coach Mike Kitchen, after hearing of the incident and Zidane's comments, quickly researched the player and forwarded a formal offer to the former soccer player, as this game marked his last before retiring from the sport.

The last-place team from the 2005-06 season was looking to make some big changes for the upcoming season, but few expected as extreme a measure as this. Kitchen quickly reassured his critics.

"Look at this man," Kitchen explained. "He's amazingly fit to be able to run a soccer field for nearly two hours. He's passionate. He's aggressive. And he's willing to use physical force when necessary. These are all prerequisites for any hockey player."

Critics speculated the move was a publicity stunt to boost revenues and attendance rather than on the merits of the soccer star.

"I can't see how a soccer player can make a seamless transition into such a physical sport as hockey," sports columnist Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch said. "I mean, does the guy even know how to skate?"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
fbaezer wrote:
We laugh a lot when we're told about what the Germans consider funny.

As what for instance?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:46 pm
I won't tell, Walter.

But you can laugh with this:

http://www.gazzetta.it/openxlink.shtml?http://widelec.org/zidane.html
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:52 pm
fbaezer wrote:
I won't tell, Walter.

But you can laugh with this:

http://www.gazzetta.it/openxlink.shtml?http://widelec.org/zidane.html

That is sick Razz Laughing
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:41 pm
Wilso wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
According to one caller, the Italian called him a Muslim terrorist.

In what language did he say it? I often wondered how they anyone was communicating when you had different countries playing under officials from yet other countries.

I'd say they were talking in Italian, Zidane surely knows the language after playing a few seasons for Italy's Juventus.

Ellinas wrote:
Is cuore the heart?

Yes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:43 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Well, I am a sore loser here. Italy knew that it would end in penalty kicks
and getting Zidane off the field beforehand made their chances not as
remote.

If I remember correctly Italy had lost every penalty shootout in the world cup that they'd been in, I doubt they'd have wanted to make any sort of plans for one.

Quote:

Nonetheless, we went to our towns "Little Italy" yesterday to watch
the activities there.

How was that? A co-worker just told me about it, I had no idea that there would be celebrations here (just didn't think either community had much going on here).
0 Replies