FIFA World Cup 2006 [R]

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 01:04 pm
George wrote:

'He looked at me with a huge arrogance and said, 'If you really want my shirt I'll give it to you afterwards'. I replied with an insult, that's true.'

That is hilarious. Zidane, a beautiful player and a wise ass. Those two qualities taken together outweigh an explosive, slow burning temper.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:52 pm
The question arises: how many World Champion players will be in the second division next year. That Italian league is rotten to the core.
Juventus, AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio, and 25 individuals -- including club and federation officials, referees and linesmen -- are accused of conspiring to rig matches in the top Serie A division during the 2004-05 season.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:21 pm
I think a bunch of the players will be moving to other teams. We'll see. Only one I've read is staying with his team for sure is del Piero.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:24 pm
Well, its official. Lazio, Juventus, and Fiorentina go to Serie B. Juventus with a serious points penalty. Milán will stay in Serie A, but also with a handicap. None will play the Champions, and they even removed Juventus' last 2 championships.

Tough.

By the way, whats up with the racist comments towards football of some people? I didn't know this until today, but, Roberto Calderoli, Vicepresident of the italian Senate, said: "Its a victory of the italian identity that won against a french team that sacrificed it's own identity, starting blacks, islamists, and communists in it's formation".

My source is in spanish. Embarrassed
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:32 pm
Oh oh oh. Ok, here's something:

"Unheard-of"

In light of the sentence decreed by the Commissione d'Appello Federale, which has proposed the demotion of Juventus to Serie B with the deduction of 30 points, Chairman Giovanni Cobolli Gigli has made the following statement: "It is unheard-of. We expected a balanced sentence from a court comprised of jurists of such esteem, both in its form and its content. Evidently our expectations were misplaced. The sentences signal a desire to attack the companies with excessive severity. We do not understand the differential legal treatment applied to the four cases under consideration. As the facts have clearly demonstrated, the episodes relating to Juventus under the observation of the sporting tribunal are without question comparable to those with which the other teams are charged. The difference being that in our case only two matches have been called into question. Therefore in this moment our priority is to look after the interests of our fans and those of the minor share holders, and we will do this straight away, appealing to the Consiglio Federale"

Source - Juventus UK Website
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 10:03 pm
I saw some comment about the Calderoli's opinion this morning or yesterday, but can't find it again right now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 10:06 pm
Ah, here's something from February. He's a member of the Northern League..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4714548.stm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 04:00 am
Yeah, there was a lot of chatter on far-right websites before the finals as well, about supporting Italy against "the blacks" (of France)

Still, its different when a prominent politician does so as well, of course
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 05:30 am
ossobuco wrote:
Ah, here's something from February. He's a member of the Northern League..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4714548.stm

Calderoli is a member of the northern league. One of the most strict, obtuse, disgusting idiot who was ever chosen to represent the worst part of my country Rolling Eyes

IMHO, obviously Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 05:50 am
It is a crying shame that in Europe we have oldfashioned racism in its worst form. Not only among the players but among the spectators as well.
It is ugly and disgusting and it goes only one way: whites are insulting blacks, never the other way.
The world is coming apart at the seams with hatred fanned by religions and by supremacists.
At each of the 64 World Cup games, a banner covering the entire centre circle will be displayed from the stadium's opening until the end of the official pre-match protocol, bearing the tournament slogan "A time to make friends" combined with the anti-racism message "Say no to racism".
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060609/1/78ei.html
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 02:43 pm
Quote:
Zidane: "Racists are not invited!"

July 7, 2006
FARE

The captains of the World Cup finalists have come together to support football's fight against racism ahead of the final on Sunday in Berlin. France and Italy captain's Zinedine Zidane and Fabio Cannavaro have both written short statements calling for an end to racism in the game to the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) network [..].

FARE campaigners have been working alongside FIFA, the German Organising Committee and German fan organisation KOS at the World Cup to challenge and raise awareness of racism in football. [..]

The "Football Unites" programme will conclude in front of Berlin's famous Brandenburg gates on the fan mile where FARE German partners Dem Ball egal will run the mobile football game, Streetkick, and anti-racism fanzines and flyers in Italian and French will be distributed.

Fabio Cannavaro, Italy Captain
    "We must remain vigilant against racism and every form of intolerance or racially motivated discrimination. This battle must be fought resolutely and consistently every single day. We should not restrict ourselves to appeals or words, but rather lay down a clear marker through our own conduct. This applies in particular to footballers. "We know we have a large responsibility, especially with regard to the very young, who from a cultural point of view are particularly impressionable and forever in search of role models whom they can aspire to emulate. We must therefore avoid any form of discriminatory behaviour, not only on the pitch, but also and especially in our daily lives, so that everyone comes to understand that there can be no differences on account of race, skin colour or religion."
Zinedine Zidane, France Captain
    "There is no place for racism. It is impossible to love this sport, to play it or to support a team and be racist or xenophobic at the same time. The values conveyed by football are the exact opposite of racism. Because racism promotes exclusion and hate. Football, in contrast, brings people together to share a common pleasure. "Every four years we experience a unique time in which people congregate together, take part together and celebrate together. Racists are not invited."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 03:49 pm
What did Materazzi tell Zidane?

Here's an overview of some suggestions..

Quote:
Everyone loved the Zinedine Zidane chest-butting story. I think it's because we atavistically find foreigners' insults very funny. We shouldn't, but we do. And there were plenty. If Materazzi had said as much as he was accused of saying, they would still be in Berlin now. Take the Daily Express account: Z: "Don't worry, I'll give you my shirt." M: "I would rather take the shirt off your wife." The Times had M saying: "You son of a terrorist whore. Just **** off!" but the Independent reported it as: "You can keep your shirt for your sister, the prostitute." According to the Mirror and the BBC, M wished "an ugly death on you and your family"; others claimed he referred to Jean Ferrade, Zidane's first coach, who died of cancer shortly before the World Cup began: "I hope Jean suffered." Then there was "That's all you deserve, ******* Muslims, terrorist bastards," and many more. Being a lip reader must be fun, like being a novelist - you just make it up.

Source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 03:50 pm
<looks up>

Odd. The A2K profanity check censors what the Guardian will happily publish - variations of f*ck.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 04:52 pm
From The Times of India, unexpectedly enough:

Edited short version:

Quote:
Much of Europe has begun a controversial political debate about football, after Zidane's ignominious exit from the World Cup and professional football. The legendary footballer headbutted Italian player Marco Materazzi in the 111th minute of the final match after a fierce exchange.

On Monday, even as Zidane met French president Chirac, some of Europe's leading black footballers went on record speculating that the Italian may have slapped the ethnic Algerian Frenchman with a racist insult. Luther Blissett, a black English footballer who played in the Italian Serie A, recounted how French and Italian soccer was notoriously racist. He pleaded for Zidane to go public with an account of what Materazzi really said, so Europe would understand the sometimes subliminal racial mindset of the beautiful game.

AC Milan, Lazio Roma, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid are some of the European football clubs most violently affected by racism. At Lazio, Aaron Winter was repeatedly subject to cries of "niggers and Jews out".

Though Zidane has always refused to talk about the politics of race relations, his last outburst is thought to be directly linked to his origins as a poor, north African boy growing up on one of the toughest housing estates in Marseilles. Less than a year after France's worst urban riots in decades, the footballer's fans and critics alike suggested that his background is "the source of an inner rage".

Zidane's team-mate, Guadeloupe-born Lilian Thuram, has repeatedly spoken out against racism in football. In response to Jean-Marie le Pen's attacks on a national team he deems insufficiently French, Thuram said earlier this year, "Long live France - not the one he wants but the real one. Le Pen is not aware that there are black, blond and brown French people".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 02:21 am
In today's Observer, two different views about ...

Is Zinedine Zidane a complete prat? Yes - No
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 06:41 am
It seems to me that all of the people who find fault with Zidane are white. Some of them may be Jewish, but insulting Jews is not popular anymore. In other words: the writers who condemn Zidane don't know what it means to grow up and live in a hostile, racist world.
To ignore a constant barrage of insults takes much self control. But even that results in a steadily growing desire to lash out against that mental torture.
White talking heads may be clever, but they lack empathy.
0 Replies