FIFA World Cup 2006 [R]

McTag

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:12 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Zidane appeared to react to something that was said and was dismissed for his violent charge into his opponent.

I reckon if you're going to head butt someone, at least make it count. What's the point of a head butt into the chest?

Exactly. At least break a nose or something.

McTag wrote:
If he was going to nut him, and admittedly he did it pretty hard, why didn't he nut him on the nose?

I may modestly mention here, that that particular action is known as a "Glasgow kiss". So Zidane's was maybe the French version, an "air kiss".

Some flowers are born to blush unseen
And waste their sweetness on the desert air
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:16 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

If I remember correctly Italy had lost every penalty shootout in the world cup that they'd been in, I doubt they'd have wanted to make any sort of plans for one.

You remember correctly.
Italy lost against Argentina -semis- (1990)
Italy lost against Brasil -final game- (1994)
Italy lost against France -quarter finals- (1998)

Italy's victory leaves England and Mexico as the remaining perennial World Cup PK losers.

(And Germany's PK victory over Argentina leaves the Germans as the only undefeated team in PKs, having defined 3 or more games by that method):
Germany over France (1982)
Germany over Mexico (1986)
Germany over England (1990)
Germany over Argentina (2006)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:43 pm
Maybe that's why they were trying to get him sent off then....because they were worried about going to penalties.

Without Zidane, they stood more chance of winning, or at least, less chance of conceding before end of extra time.

Here's a recent photo of Ronaldo, making it up with Rooney.....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/lord_ellpus/untitled.jpg
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:44 pm
nimh wrote:

St. Louis Blues Recruit Zidane for NHL

Zinedine Zidane, captain of the French World Cup team which lost a tense final round game to Italy, has been offered a spot on the roster of the American hockey team St. Louis Blues.

Shocked Laughing That would be very fun. We're seen more absurd things than that; so why not.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:07 pm
Heehee....gotta love human nature.

I watched TV news briefly last night and saw all the Italian celebrations etc.

There was a brief moment when the Australian crew spoke to someone with something to do with the socceroos, amidst all the noise and chaos.

Hey, he said. We really beat Italy....we should have scored a win over the team that won the World Cup.

You could see in his eyes the REAL, non dirty, World Cup for 2006 belonging to Oz forevermore.

I would guess the same is true for the supporters of every team that got close?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:13 pm
I think thats the beauty of it. That something so completely irrational (and which, unlike, say, religion, everyone knows, deep down, is just a game) can yet at the same time mean so much, and instill such passion.

Like, the passion and zeal of belonging, transferred to something that allows it to be as (relatively) harmless as it is unapologetically intense.

Or perhaps I'm just talking shite.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:15 pm
Very possibly not.

I certainly sometimes feel like I miss a lot of fun in life by just not GETTING that stuff re sport....or almost hardly ever getting it.

I certainly think that for most westerners it is the thing that most replaces, in terms of giving meaning, and forging bonds in communities, what once was taken from the more ecstatic parts of religious ceremonies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:34 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
How was that? A co-worker just told me about it, I had no idea that there would be celebrations here (just didn't think either community had much going on here).

Oh Craven, Little Italy was packed with Italians and lots of Mexican supporters. They even broadcasted the game there (we came later though), and didn't mind basting in the hot sun for over 2 hours. Afterwards an improvised party with loud music and dancing in the streets was going on for hours and hours. It was a nice spectacle to see. Little Italy is always a great
place to visit - good restaurants, and excellent espresso.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:37 pm
I agree.

I doubt anyone knows that I'm a rabid Green Bay Packers fan, >coff< I've had to scale back in recent years for a number of reasons (not freaking out the kid with extremely loud screaming, lack of time, and oh the minor point that they'e been exceptionally sucky lately) but when I was a true fan... Well, emotion pretty much entirely elbowed reason out of the way. And it was FUN.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:41 pm
sozobe wrote:
I agree.

I doubt anyone knows that I'm a rabid Green Bay Packers fan, >coff< I've had to scale back in recent years for a number of reasons (not freaking out the kid with extremely loud screaming, lack of time, and oh the minor point that they'e been exceptionally sucky lately) but when I was a true fan... Well, emotion pretty much entirely elbowed reason out of the way. And it was FUN.

And, psychologically speaking, both gloriously cathartic, AND something that made you feel like part of a real, proper, stampedin' HERD again, I would opine.

Here, a number of venues....including the main cricket ground....offered huge screens so people could come together in herds to really experience the ..er...experience.

I thought that an enormously good thing to do.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:47 pm
Yep, my loyalty was cemented forevermore with the Superbowl win in 1997; I lived near downtown Madison, WI at the time, and the whole damn city (and state too I'm sure but I only saw my immediate environs) was euphoric for at least a week.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:03 pm
fbaezer wrote:

You can tell me Cannavaro looks like a young Mussolini and that you dislike the Azzurri. Don't tell me they didn't deserve to win. Be a sport.

He DOES look like a young Mussolini

http://germania2006.datasport.it/immagini/cannavaro(6).jpg

http://www.cronologia.it/storia/biografie/musso.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:23 pm
Forget about the headbutt - Zidane (shock, horror) was caught smoking!

0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:20 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Little Italy is always a great
place to visit - good restaurants, and excellent espresso.

Never did quite get into Little Italy, but I gave it a good try (it's the kind of thing I love to like).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:16 am
An Italian dies and arrives - where else? - in heaven.

In the lobby there, he asks St. Peter: "Why do you have about 200 clocks hanging here?"

St. Peter: "We have one for every nation playing football. And every time, some footballer makes a dive, the seconds hand is turned one second in advance."

The Italian looks around, notices the different times at various clocks and than wonders why the Italian isn't there.

"Ah, well the Italian clock. It's in the kitchen. We use it as ventilator."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

In the lobby there, he asks St. Peter: "Why do you have about 200 clocks hanging here?"

St. Peter: "We have one for every nation playing football. And every time, some footballer makes a dive, the seconds hand is turned one second in advance."

The Italian looks around, notices the different times at various clocks and than wonders why the Italian isn't there.

Rapid Vienna, they're the boys. Austrians take no lessons on diving from anybody. :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

McTag wrote:
Anyone who throws up his arms after a collision (with an invisible spider, as Martin O'Neill memorably put it last week) before his a*se hits the grass, should receive a yellow card at least.

I'm going to suggest this rule to FIFA for the new season.

McT

Full many a flower is born to blush unseen
And waste its sweetness on the desert air
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:02 am
ZINEDINE ZIDNE GAME
Try to hit every Materazzi!! You are Zidane. After how many hits do u
get a Red Card??? Nice game.

http://www.2vrais.info/zidane.swf
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:18 am
nimh wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But those things we were generally praised for - traffic, humour, beer, countrysite etc etc -

wait wait back up the truck..

..the germans were praised for their sense of humour?

Laughing I wondered about that, too! Laughing

Maybe Walter was being ironic in this instance. I've seen broadcasts of Fasching and for all the laughter in the hall at the jokes about bodily functions, I can't say that I think German humour is anything other than basic.

Maybe a topic for another thread. Anyway - well done Germany - and national pride is well deserved. No more guilt for what previous generations did!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:16 am
fbaezer wrote:
fbaezer wrote:

You can tell me Cannavaro looks like a young Mussolini and that you dislike the Azzurri. Don't tell me they didn't deserve to win. Be a sport.

He DOES look like a young Mussolini

http://germania2006.datasport.it/immagini/cannavaro(6).jpg

http://www.cronologia.it/storia/biografie/musso.jpg
What a fierce looking pose...and Mussolini could play football too
0 Replies