FIFA World Cup 2006 [R]

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:04 am
FreeDuck wrote:
As to the question about diving, yes, to a certain extent it is another tactic. If you're getting fouled, you have to show it if you want the call. However, in excess, it's cheating. Diving in the box to get a penalty kick, that's cheating. When you're whole team basically spends the entire game appealing to the referee (cough, Portugal, cough) rather than just playing soccer, it ruins the game. That's just my opinion.
I was thinking about this the other day. There was one classic picture of Ronaldo (who else) going down just outside the box. Before he hit the ground he was clutching his shin (there was no contact) and staring straight at the referee with a look of shock and pain on his face, pleading for a free kick. Quite stomach turning.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:15 am
Quote:
Zidane wins Golden Ball
Exclamation
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:15 am
Anyone who throws up his arms after a collision (with an invisible spider, as Martin O'Neill memorably put it last week) before his a*se hits the grass, should receive a yellow card at least.

I'm going to suggest this rule to FIFA for the new season.

McT
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:25 am
Some more news .... here from a press-conference by our state's interior minister, about all police in all German states: 7,000 people were arrested (mostly for minor delicts) ... and nearly all released shortly afterwards.

About 850 persons were injured.

And this with a couple of ten millions of people attending the publing viewings, in the stadiums or just ... boozing in the cities.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:51 am
dadpad wrote:

embonpoint Question is that German (Just so i can hit he translator program without embaressing my self.)

Sounds French!?!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:16 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Some more news .... here from a press-conference by our state's interior minister, about all police in all German states: 7,000 people were arrested (mostly for minor delicts) ... and nearly all released shortly afterwards.

About 850 persons were injured.

And this with a couple of ten millions of people attending the publing viewings, in the stadiums or just ... boozing in the cities.

A lot of talk about how Germany turned the corner on the past and is beginning to regain its patriotism.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:32 am
Wilso wrote:
dadpad wrote:

embonpoint Question is that German (Just so i can hit he translator program without embaressing my self.)

Sounds French!?!

I think I should probably have written decolletage. Anyway, I knew what I meant. Confused
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:36 am
McTag wrote:
Wilso wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Sounds French!?!

I think I should probably have written decolletage. Anyway, I knew what I meant. Confused

I knew what you meant too :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:41 am
panzade wrote:

A lot of talk about how Germany turned the corner on the past and is beginning to regain its patriotism.

Well, some journalists, who know the situation here better, write that actually nothing had changed in Germany ... but the view from foreigners, because we are really different than some wanted us to see.

(The "patriotic thing" is only about the flags - which is a whim we've copied from others.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:46 am
So what did the Italian say to Zindane anyway?

"Hope you enjoyed the pork sausage back there in the box" ? Smile
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:48 am
Apparently, Zou Zou went mad about a comment made regarding his mother.......

"Zinedine Zidane's agent says the France captain headbutted Marco Materazzi in Sunday's World Cup final because the Italian made a "very serious" comment.
Zidane appeared to react to something that was said and was dismissed for his violent charge into his opponent.

"He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what," agent Alain Migliaccio told BBC Five Live Sport.

Sources in France say it is believed Materazzi insulted Zidane's mother."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5164094.stm

His agent goes on to say that all will most probably be revealed next week...meaning..he's not going to give away information for nothing on live radio, when an exclusive deal can be made with a big newspaper etc....

Of course, the agent will get his cut from said deal.....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:49 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, some journalists, who know the situation here better, write that actually nothing had changed in Germany ...
Is that your opinion Walter? If its not changed, is it the same now as the 1990s or 70s or 50s or 30s?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:55 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Zidane appeared to react to something that was said and was dismissed for his violent charge into his opponent.

I reckon if you're going to head butt someone, at least make it count. What's the point of a head butt into the chest?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:56 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

(The "patriotic thing" is only about the flags - which is a whim we've copied from others.)

Rare for you to waffle on any subject Walter

The 30's was all about flags and standard bearers...after the unification and now the smashing success of World Cup...perhaps Germany is able to breathe a sigh of contentment as the populace waves those flags
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:59 am
Well, certainly not the first years.

But those things we were generally praised for - traffic, humour, beer, countrysite etc etc - have been the same now as ten or twenty years ago.

And I'm sure, we would have handled the championship the same way - only now we've got this years technics ...

But it really was smooth-running, fan-friendly and - thanks to all - memorable tournament here.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:20 am
Well, I am a sore loser here. Italy knew that it would end in penalty kicks
and getting Zidane off the field beforehand made their chances not as
remote. I think that the Italian guy deliberately insulted Zidane's mother,
plus he knew that Zidane would react, given his previous track record.

After what happened with Germany and Frings, I don't put anything past
the Italians. Yes, they won, but not in a fair game. Evil or Very Mad

Nonetheless, we went to our towns "Little Italy" yesterday to watch
the activities there.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:31 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Well, I am a sore loser here. Italy knew that it would end in penalty kicks
and getting Zidane off the field beforehand made their chances not as
remote. I think that the Italian guy deliberately insulted Zidane's mother,
plus he knew that Zidane would react, given his previous track record.

After what happened with Germany and Frings, I don't put anything past
the Italians. Yes, they won, but not in a fair game. Evil or Very Mad

Nonetheless, we went to our towns "Little Italy" yesterday to watch
the activities there.

He also called him a terrorist, but I continue to believe he overeacted.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:33 am
Without any doubt, he overreacted - but I fully agree with CJ. :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:46 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:
Zidane wins Golden Ball
Exclamation

Well, I'm glad for that. I think he fully deserves it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:47 am
Wilso wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

I reckon if you're going to head butt someone, at least make it count. What's the point of a head butt into the chest?

Exactly. At least break a nose or something.
0 Replies