Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 04:18 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

When the Israelites seemed trapped against the Red Sea, would that have been a good time for doubt?

"Yeah, Moses. But how do we know it's safe to cross to the other side now. Are you sure you're not just guessing?

That is a story, Neo...almost certainly a myth.

Doubt is a fine thing...and certainty can be a bitch, especially if it is the kind of "certainty" you are displaying.

You are certain there is a god, but there is no good reason to be "certain" there is a god. Granted, there is no good reason to be "certain" there are no gods either. But that is an argument for the logic of doubt.

In any case...why should I need a contingency plan?

What do you see as "wrong" with the way I am living my life?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 04:18 pm
Is it possible there is no god, Neo?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 04:30 pm
Neologist said:
Quote:
When the Israelites seemed trapped against the Red Sea, would that have been a good time for doubt?
"Yeah, Moses. But how do we know it's safe to cross to the other side now. Are you sure you're not just guessing?

Congratulations mate it seems you've got a sense of humour after all..Smile
MOSES- "Quick everybody, get across!"
PHILOSOPHER- "Not me, that path through the water might be an illusion and I could drown"
MOSES- "But look behind you at Pharoahs army chasing us in chariots!"
PHILOSOPHER- "But they might just be an illusion too!"

Anyway modern philosophers can't explain the fact that the Israelites on foot DID get away from Pharoahs army, perhaps they think they got across on the Staten Island ferry or something..Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 04:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Sure it is possible. But you wouldn't be here to ask such a stupid question if there wasn't and neither would the forum on which you ask it.

There is no telling where you would be.
spendius

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 04:54 pm
@spendius,
In fact, Apisa, you might not be here at all which I feel sure would be a blessed relief for some people.

I'm not convinced you would know, or care, who your parents were if there was no God.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 04:57 pm
@spendius,
spendi; CLUE: we don't choose our parents.
spendius

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 05:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I said nothing about choosing them.

CLUE--READ POSTS MORE CAREFULLY BEFORE ENGAGING MOUTH.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 05:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Do you think that quoting Einstein, the inventor of global catastrophe, leads us to consider you an intellectual?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 05:50 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Sure it is possible. But you wouldn't be here to ask such a stupid question if there wasn't and neither would the forum on which you ask it.

There is no telling where you would be.

There is that word "stupid" again. It can get to be a habit.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 05:51 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

In fact, Apisa, you might not be here at all which I feel sure would be a blessed relief for some people.

I'm not convinced you would know, or care, who your parents were if there was no God.

I am waiting for Neo to agree that it is possible there is no god.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 06:21 pm
Charlie the philosopher gets married-
VICAR- "Repeat after me:- I, Charlie, take thee, Rosemary, to be my lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish.."

CHARLIE- "Just a minute vicar, what does "lawful wedded wife" mean, is there such a thing as an "unlawful wedded wife"?
And can you clarify what "to have and to hold" means? How exactly should I "hold her", in a firm embrace. or arm-in-arm or holding hands?
How would you define the upper and lower income levels regarding "richer for poorer"?
And does "in sickness and health", mean I must not avoid her if she's ill with a contagious disease?
What does "cherish" mean? Must I buy her jewellery and presents, and if so, what amount of the weekly budget should go on them?"

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 07:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
For a few years, I thought probably not. It was sobering to think this life is all there is, but somewhat comforting to have moral freedom. Well, partial moral freedom, I did subscribe to the social contract and a bastardized concept of moral directive. Then someone pointed out to me the huge gulf between the beliefs of conventional religion and the teachings of the Bible. Eventually, I developed faith (Hebrews 11:1)

That leaves the question of empirical certainty, a question I can answer only as a matter of personal perspective. True scientific method, hypothesis, theory, test, replicate is not part of the drill. (But, hey It doesn't bother the evolutionists) I cannot lay down a pattern expecting you to get the same result. For me, I had to be willing to accept conclusions regardless of my personal preferences. (Job 35:2)

Though it is still my opinion, now I can answer: It is not possible for there to be no God.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 08:07 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
For a few years, I thought probably not. It was sobering to think this life is all there is, but somewhat comforting to have moral freedom. Well, partial moral freedom, I did subscribe to the social contract and a bastardized concept of moral directive. Then someone pointed out to me the huge gulf between the beliefs of conventional religion and the teachings of the Bible. Eventually, I developed faith (Hebrews 11:1)

That leaves the question of empirical certainty, a question I can answer only as a matter of personal perspective. True scientific method, hypothesis, theory, test, replicate is not part of the drill. (But, hey It doesn't bother the evolutionists) I cannot lay down a pattern expecting you to get the same result. For me, I had to be willing to accept conclusions regardless of my personal preferences. (Job 35:2)

Though it is still my opinion, now I can answer: It is not possible for there to be no God.

Yeah...you cannot say that it is possible there is no god.

That is what I thought.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 08:10 pm
As evidence of a God (or 'Creator' as Jesus also called him) the universe is evidence a-plenty..Smile
Atheists think it decided to [snigger] create itself, ha ha!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 08:29 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Who created god? BTW, have you ever heard of Higgs Boson? It's supported by scientists.
Herald

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 08:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Who created god? BTW, have you ever heard of Higgs Boson?

... and who created the Higgs boson, which is called by the way 'God particle' (by the physicists).
We had 16 particles up to now, and now we have 17 ... so what? The mechanisms that we though of being rather simple are much more complex ... so what? This does not prove anything. Narrow is the gate and long is the way from the Higgs boson to the DNA ... and to the conscience. Anyway.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 09:19 pm
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/dna-god.jpg

Jesus said-"And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered" (Matt 10:30)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/jedward.jpg
Herald

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 09:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
neologist wrote:
It is not possible for there to be no God.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Yeah...you cannot say that it is possible there is no god.

So the two claims actually are:
Neo: Our world is impossible without God.
FA: Our world is possible without God (perhaps)
I vote for Neo: Our world (here on Earth) is impossble without intelligence and intelligent design ... a priori.
There is not way for a brainless big bang (with or without the Higgs boson) to have created ... and arranged the DNA ... and assigned intelligence to the biological structures ... by stochastic methods.
There is probability for this to happen but it is far beyond the absolute margin of impossibility in the physical world (as we know it).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 09:58 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
DNA was developed over millions of years. Humans progressed from primates to what we are today. When humans first evolved, there were no language. Written language probably was produced about 300 BC or there abouts. It's really young compared to when homo sapiens appeared about 200,000 years ago.
From 600 million years to 2 billion years ago, there were simple eukaryotes.
Quote:
One-celled organisms which contain a nucleus are the simples eukaryotes.

From 400 to 600 million years ago, the first life forms appeared on this planet.
Primates evolved much later, about 60 million years ago.

It is also believed that the first life forms may have come from meteors, but the availability of water made life possible on earth.

Scientists recently discovered Higgs Boson or god particle.
Quote:
Updated 12:01 p.m. ET

STOCKHOLM Francois Englert of Belgium and Peter Higgs of Britain won the 2013 Nobel Prize in physics on Tuesday for their theory on how the most basic building blocks of the universe acquire mass, eventually forming the world we know today.

"God particle": Scientists claim building block of universe found

CERN scientists announce observation of Higgs boson particle
Their concept was confirmed last year by the discovery of the so-called Higgs particle, also known as the Higgs boson, at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Geneva, the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Who created god? BTW, have you ever heard of Higgs Boson? It's supported by scientists.
Funny you should say that!

I've always thought it remarkable that God could be a kazillion light years away and know instantaneously what goes on here. Higgs Boson may not explain but it certainly casts light on the matter. (No pun intended)