http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/839/santasjet6ty.gif
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 02:27 pm
Thanks, jes.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 02:44 pm
http://jollyblogger.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/jesuslandvsunitedstates.gif
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:44 pm
jespah wrote:

I think most of us just don't care one way or the other. I know that's going to insult people, and I'm sorry if it does, but, frankly, Jesus is not a part of my religion any more than Muhammed is a part of Christianity.

I read about the incident in Lash's office, and I would have considered that insistence that it's Christmas and not, perhaps, something else to other people, to be mightily offensive and rude. I would consider it to be an attack. But sheesh, if I got upset every time someone crossed themselves, I'd stop watching professional sports.

I appreciate your trying to understand my feelings and that of someone who sounds a bit like me. It ain't easy being a minority of any sort, particularly when the minority is somewhat invisible, very tiny, and is because of a matter of choice rather than body type. So thank you and I hope you both enjoy your holidays. Smile

I'm not insulted, nor can I see how any Christian would be insulted.

I think we can stipulate that the behavior of the a-hole in lash's office at least approximated an attack.

I also think that if you got upset everytime that someone crossed themselves you would be emotionally handicapped, and so I don't think it's anything but normal not to be offended by simple displays of Christian devotion.

In one way or the other, all of us are members of some minority.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:15 pm
I don't think many, if any, people are "upset" over crossing--or other small, individual acts of faith.

I must ask what minority status you and I may experience that equates with being a non-Christian at Christmastime in America.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:45 pm
Lash wrote:
I don't think many, if any, people are "upset" over crossing--or other small, individual acts of faith.

I must ask what minority status you and I may experience that equates with being a non-Christian at Christmastime in America.

I am a non-Christian at all times, not just Christmas time. Does one have to be a Jew to be a discomforted minority during Christmas time?

Presumably there are religious holidays in Israel, where the majority of citizens are Jewish. There are minority populations of both Muslims and Christian living in Israel. Should Israel tone down their Jewish celebrations for the sake of these minorities?

Unless there is deliberate action by the majority to use their celebration as a means to insult or intimidate the minorities, the minorities should just go about their business during times of majority celebrations and steer clear of the unseemly but all too prevalent claim to victim's status.

If the majority will not allow the minorities to engage in their own uniques celebrations, then there is a definite problem, but that certainly isn't the case in America.

I live in Dallas (actually Keller, but close enough), but I passionately root for the Carolina Panthers and despise the Dallas Cowboys. Should I be offended in any way because the majority of my neighbors celebrated the Cowboys' defeat of the Panthers today?

The majority has no obligation to minimize its celebrations simply because the minority cannot or (more importantly) will not join in them.

When Bing Crosby sang "Have yourself a merry little Christmas," he didn't actually mean: ""Unless you are a Jew, a Muslim or a Taoist, in which case have yourself a merry little time in Hell"

When a neighborhood chorale group parks themselves outside the home of a Jew and sings "Silent Night," they are not trying to evoke Crystal Night.

There are very few people who would turn a Jew or Muslim away from their Christmas party simply because they were not Christian, and very few who would reject an invitation to a Seder or a post Ramadan feast simply because they were Christian.

Celebrations in good faith, no matter what the faith, should be welcome by everyone.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 07:53 pm
Ah well. I did make clear I don't think Christmas should be minimized.

However, the point that this episode brought home to me--and that I've tried rather unsuccessfully to share-- won't be made clearer by any sturm. No use in dragging out the drang.

Have a memorable, happy Christmas.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:14 pm
so Lash, what are you wearing?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:15 pm
Saran Wrap
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:17 pm
with underwire?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:07 pm
timberlandko wrote:
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/839/santasjet6ty.gif

Oh, nice.

Very diminishing.

Like Father Christmas doesn't have RADAR!

Rolling Eyes

:wink:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
Hey all you lefty secular humanists --- your plan didn't work.

Christmas came and devout Christians throughout America celebrated the birth of their Savior, even though Target stuck with Happy Holidays.

Last I read no Muslims, Jews or Buddhists were lynched, no kid was tied to a papier-mache donkey and forced to participate in a nativity pageant, and a theocracy wasn't announced when the yule log went off the air.

Better luck next year!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:36 pm
If anyone has some rethinking to do, it's O'Reilly and his blowhard colleagues at Fox. They invented the whole notion of a campaign vs. Xmas...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
And, apparently, Finn bought that horseshit hook, line and sinker . . .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:43 pm
Yeah, there's one born every minute. Hence Fox's ratings...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 03:49 pm
Is Target a new handle for GWB?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 03:49 pm
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:06 pm
http://www.bartcop.com/toasts-faith.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
And, apparently, Finn bought that horseshit hook, line and sinker . . .

Grow a pair pooch and confront me directly.

After all, by your own claim, you are a sufficently large man.

Nope, not in the making of the Nipper. Dart in, bite at the heels and retreat.

All of you clowns performed just as expected - thank you!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:29 pm
Damn!

I let the poodle bait me into a pointless kick in his snarling direction.

I stand self-chastened.
0 Replies