Will the anti-war crowd denounce this idiot?

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:46 pm
Does he love America and do you support his right to say this crap?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47562

"The professor who gained national attention for suggesting U.S. soldiers in Iraq kill their superior officers has resigned his teaching post at a New Jersey college, moments before school officials were slated to decide his fate."

Of course,if you dont like that website,try this one...

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4159187

"HERNDON, Va., Nov. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Warren County Community College adjunct English professor, John Daly resigned last night before the school's board of trustees began an emergency meeting to discuss the professor's fate. On November 13, Daly sent an email to student Rebecca Beach vowing "to expose [her] right-wing, anti-people politics until groups like [Rebecca's] won't dare show their face on a college campus." In addition, Daly said that "Real freedom will come when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors."

Then there is this site,which has the actual e-mail that has this garbage in it...

http://www.michnews.com/artman/publish/article_10395.shtml

But,this man is allowed to say this crap.

Will anyone on the anti-war side of the country denounce this jerk?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,223 • Replies: 217
No top replies

old europe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:54 pm
Re: Will the anti-war crowd denounce this idiot?
mysteryman wrote:
But,this man is allowed to say this crap.

Didn't the article say he "has resigned his teaching post"? So, he's obviously not allowed to.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:55 pm
What a hard question.

I'm anti-war but I can't denounce this idiot.

My brother is a "superior" (a General) and I know that the reason he has been in the military for so long is because he believes in the principals of America -- one of which is freedom of speech.

So I know he defends this mans right to say stupid things.

Still, its tough and I'd like to kick that guys ass.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:13 pm
Yep. He has the right to say it and the right to have is ass kicked for saying it. I don't think my denouncing him will make any difference, but if it makes you feel better, I denounce him.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:36 pm
He said TURN their guns on their superiors not FIRE them.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:42 pm
What FreeDuck said.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
Heehee......getting like denunciations in Mao's China.....

Do you pro war people think everything is either/or, all/none?

Is it impossible for you to comprehend that one can be anti this war and not pro murder of commanding officers etc?

Honestly, the projections of a single digit IQ onto anyone who disagrees with you is utterly idiotic.

Grow the **** up and get a brain.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 12:08 am
I am as anti-war as you get, and I am willing to denounce this idiot. If soldiers want to oppose the war... they can do it in far more productive and less violent (and even less self-destructive) ways such as fleeing to Canada.

I am as pro-free-speech as you get. I think that the college was right to fire him. Advocating direct acts of violence is pushing the boundaries of free speech. It certainly goes far beyond the boundaries of what is acceptable from a professor.

There... are you happy?

Now can we get back to enjoying watching (and urging) Rumsfeld (and maybe even Rove and Cheney) go over the political cliff?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 07:05 am
I don't think I have made my anti-war feelings a secret but this fell past free speech into inciting murder. No different than Bin Laden or some other terrorist telling his followers to kill all Americans. (or if someone said to kill all Muslims)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 07:15 am
Now are you refering to this professor or to the guy who made the post here? I'm confused. :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 07:33 am
dlowan wrote:
Heehee......getting like denunciations in Mao's China.....

Do you pro war people think everything is either/or, all/none?

Is it impossible for you to comprehend that one can be anti this war and not pro murder of commanding officers etc?

Honestly, the projections of a single digit IQ onto anyone who disagrees with you is utterly idiotic.

Grow the **** up and get a brain.

Swivelling our weapons around towards the shades of grey.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:29 am
The US Marines should march on the White House and arrest the Fratricidal CIC who abused his authority and lied them into a war crime.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:42 am
Whoops! Not enough room on the bandwagon so I guess I'll stay off.

The question of whether or not this adjunct professor has the right to say what he said is asinine and unworthy of comment. If the college had fired him, he would have been justified in suing them and quite possibly would have won. However, being adjunct means he was employed only on a term-to-term or year-to-year basis and the college could have legally exercised its option not to renew his contract when it expired at the end of the term or academic year.

The freshman who e-mailed every member of the faculty promoting this pro-war event invited reply and criticism--she e-mailed them first. You cannot express your views to someone and expect immunity from criticism. I realize the sexist impulse to feel outrage at the vicious ogre growling at the young maiden is ingrained by thousands of years of patriarchy, but get over it. We're not talking about a child, we're talking about a woman who is publicly advocating her social and political ideology. The professor threatened her organization and the event she was promoting with public critique, he didn't threaten her at all (though it is instructive that her response to the critique of her ideology was to attempt to get the professor fired).

As for the "when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors and fight for just causes and for people's needs" comment--this merely expresses the fact that our military is most often misused to fight for the interests of the wealthy and powerful minority rather than justice and the needs of the many. Personally, I find it refreshing to see someone expressing a liberal opinion without giving thought to political correctness.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:22 am
I'm intrigued by the title of this thread, i.e. the reference to "the anti-war crowd." The implication here seems to be that there is some sort of organized "anti-war crowd" which marches in lock-step and makes decisions on whom to denounce and what, specifically, to protest. Most of us who are against this senseless exercise in military futility have no agenda beyond getting the troops home. I don't even read the anti-war blogs. I don't care what other anti-war activists do or say. I do disagree with the wisdom of a teacher apparently advocating military mutiny because he feels strongly about the war. But my personal thoughts are in no way a part of some sort of group-think of some sort of anti-war crowd. We are not a cohesive organization, putting forth an agenda. We are individuals, each deploring the current situation in his/her own way.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:39 am
The young lady referred to, Rebecca Beach, is (as the link shows) a member of these guys,and these guys,and these guys..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
And we all know what those guys are like . . .
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
BBB
Our belief in freedom of speech allows the misdirected and loonies of the right and the left to advertise the fact their brains are not engaged before they speak.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:50 am
Indeed. Imagine Ann Coulter if she actually believed what she said.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:51 am
Re: Will the anti-war crowd denounce this idiot?
mysteryman wrote:
Does he love America and do you support his right to say this crap?

Quite confounding that you would give this guy a pulpit if you don't agree with his views. I did not bother to read what he said because he is only a private individual and his views are irrelevant (unless he decides to post here himself)

But I will answer your question. Unless his words are tantamount to shouting fire in a crowded theater, yes, I support his right to say whatever he said. Unequivocally. Don't you? Do you hate America and our freedoms, mm?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:52 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'm intrigued by the title of this thread, i.e. the reference to "the anti-war crowd." The implication here seems to be that there is some sort of organized "anti-war crowd" ...

Merry, it is the typical RW attempt at a strawman argument.
0 Replies