Bird flu in Canada more US sabotage

hamburger

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:39 pm
as far as the softwood lumber dispute is concerned, i heard an interesting report on CBC just a few days ago (the spokesperson was the editor of a canadian "lumber magazine" - don't recall the name). he said that the americans had actually done the canadian producers a favour, since they had been forced to become more efficient in their operations - such as less wood waste . he claimed that canadian lumber producers are now making more money than before the tariff took effect. this would mean that when the tariff is removed the lumber producers will do even better than before.
this is somewhat similar to the productivity improvement that has taken place in canadian factories when the canadian dollar started to appreciate. canadian companies had become somewhat lazy, relying to quite some extent on the cheap canadian dollar to compete in the world market. the appreciation of the canadian dollar forced canadian industry to become more efficient and cost effective - and it seems to have worked. cheapening ones currency never is a good idea. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:43 pm
did a bit of checking. i think it was a spokesperson for the "sawmilling and logging journal". hbg
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
englishmajor wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
http://runn.smugmug.com/photos/11908666-M.jpg

Si t'es pas content va tu caresser avec une poignee de braquettes. Laughing

Figure that one out, American......

You want the literal translation?

If are not content for you you will cherish with a poignee braquettes.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:13 am
Wow! Uh...you don't speak for me either.
I've just come back from the States, Puerto Rico actually. I met many americans, saw the sites and had a great time, There are many things I admire about the USA. Yes, I mostly tend disagree with your politicians and many of their policies. Hate however is blowing it waaaay out of proportion. How childish! Never. No.
The american people and their lifestyle, cultures, food, creativity, ingenuity... I could go on, are awe inspiring. Canada owes a huge debt to the US. However, we are like siblings, the US constantly ruffles our hair but we are better for being so close.

Yes, we stomp our feet when we feel wronged. It may be nothing to the States having a myriad of other, more pressing issues to be concerned with. They are of course paramount to us, thus the constant whining.
Canada should seek out other markets. Business should never rely solely on one customer. The North American Economy would be stronger for it. NAFTA has forced both our economies to become more efficient and the United States has done it fair shade of bleeding because of it. They are having a harder time recuperating than some parts of Canada did in similar situations. Maybe because of our smaller population, our social infrastructure, or the 80's forced us to adapt or we have horseshoes. Who knows?
The United States does have a scary debt, and if their economy goes into a recession, it's a safe bet...ours will too! It's in our both our best interest to remember that I guess.

Canadians will continue to complain about the US, georgeb will continue to rail about the canucks and I'm going to have to assume the battle will go on here as well.
Englishman, You obviously have a bone to grind with your homeland. While some of your argument are semi valid, your attitude is way off base. I don't speak for anyone but myself. I'm out in the public all day and I overhear all kinds of things. I rarely hear anything like the of type of vitriol you presume to speak for the people of my country. And when most people hear that kind of out-of-control rage, they roll their eyes and go on their merry way. We are not as obsessed with these issues as you might think, at least not most of us. Concerned, yes. But we are a law abiding bunch and we will continue till the issues are resolved, one way or another.

BTW.....Hi Everybody. Nice to see y'all.
Ceili
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:24 am
It's always a great pleasure to see you back here, Ceili!!!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:32 am
Why thank-you Walter. It's always lovely to see you too.
P.S. I was pleased to see you're still your chivalrous self coming to the defence of madame canadien. Merci.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:33 am
Il n'y a pas de quoi ! :wink:
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:45 am
Thanks for the balanced view Ceili. I didn't start this thread or the absurd allegations about bird flu that were its initial topic, In fact I don't think I have ever expressed a criticism of Canada or Canadians except in response to some fairly intemperate and usually badly distorted criticism of the USA by self-professed Canadians. They most certainly are tiresome and a poor reflection on other Canadians. However I don't assume that they are typical of the larger population of Canada, We have been neighbors for a long tine and, apart from an embarassing attempt at invasion in 1812, we have been good ones..

We will always have trade issues such as the softwood lumber one which so inflames englishmajor. I don't pretend to know the fine details of the case pro or con, but I do believe it is silly for the Canadian government ti rail about so voiciferously over it and as a result jeapordize an economic relationship with the USA that otherwise benefits them so much. The U.S. is strongly dedicated to free trade. We are certainly not free of impulses to protect this or that element of our economy when the political stakes for it are high. However it is also true that we have made many short-trerm sacrifices in the interest of free trade, convinced that in the long term we and others will benefit from it.

The U.S. does have inescapable responsibilities in the world and faces a number of the inevitable challenges that fall to any nation pervceived as particularly powerful, In a number oif areas ranging from immigration controls to missile defense and several notable issues in foreign policy Canada has opposed specific requests made by the United States. That certainly is Canada's right, just as it is ours not to like it. However there has been no retaliation.

It has been a rather long time since the U.S. has seen even a friendly gesture on the part of a Canadian Government, and we certainly aren't seeing any now. Easy to simply blame all this on Bush, but that simply does not square with the facts fof the past 18 years, These things can have consequences, and I fear they will benefit no one.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 02:04 am
I suggest Canadians who are interested in how much our government spends on military check out www.ceasefire.ca Apparently Canada is the 7th largest spender among 26 member of NATO. (Keeping in mind 30 million people in Canada)

Canada cannot afford to defend itself against the world. Nor do we have a reason to.

Please, I ask Canadians to send Paul Martin a letter (via the link above) and tell him we are a peacekeeping country, not a military one! At the very least read the report that is on the site. It's very interesting. Might explain why there are not many 'friendly gestures' on the part of the Canadian government with the US. Does Canada like being forced to sign onto Star Wars?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 02:11 am
mysteryman wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

Nope. Wrong. Try again.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:10 am
Englishmajor said,
Quote:
No, we didn't want to join your war fun and games. Thank God our PM has cojones. And brains. Canada neither needs or wants America's protection. Can't remember when we were threatened last, can you?

Wanna bet?
I suggest you read this...
http://www.fas.org/news/canada/960329-norad.htm

Or this...
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2005/20050929_2878.html

Pay special attention to this...
"Although Wilkins has been ambassador for less than 90 days, he said, he felt it was "imperative" to visit the NORAD and NORTHCOM headquarters, where Americans and Canadians work together to defend their homelands from airborne, land-based and maritime threats."

then there is this one...
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040805-015141-5678r.htm

or this one...
http://www.fas.org/news/canada/0039.htm

And just so you know,the current deputy commander of NORAD is Canadian...
http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/3wing/units/pa/webdocs/bios/aknorcd.htm

So your comment about military affairs between the 2 countries is totally wrong.

Tell us,have you renounced your US citizenship?
Have you turned in your passport?
Have you applied for Canadian citizenship?
If the answer to any of those is no,then why havent you?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:40 am
Sgt Rock wrote

Because he lives here Cleetus, what's it to you?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:41 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Sgt Rock wrote

Because he claims to be an American expat,living in Canada.
Thats my reason for asking.

And,what business is it of yours why I asked,are you his mommy?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:17 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Englishmajor said,
Quote:
No, we didn't want to join your war fun and games. Thank God our PM has cojones. And brains. Canada neither needs or wants America's protection. Can't remember when we were threatened last, can you?

Wanna bet?

Or this...

"Although Wilkins has been ambassador for less than 90 days, he said, he felt it was "imperative" to visit the NORAD and NORTHCOM headquarters, where Americans and Canadians work together to defend their homelands from airborne, land-based and maritime threats."

or this one...

So your comment about military affairs between the 2 countries is totally wrong.

There might be 'military affairs' between the 2 countries; that does not mean that Canada is threatened as a country. And you know it. We don't live with amber/yellow/orange alerts every day, or fear. Fear is a profitable thing in America, isn't it.

Of course I have! Do you think Canadians want Americans in their country illegally? I am here legally, so don't sit up at night worrying about that. Why on earth would you even ask? If I loved America, I would have stayed there. Love it or leave it....seems most folks are too apathetic south of the border to do much of anything. That's sad. I did hear that 70+ year old Daniel Ellsberg was arrested for trespassing on Bush's pseudo ranch in TexASS. Where's all the protestors? I mean, do you guys have to rely on on old guy like Ellsberg? And if he's worried about the state of affairs in America, you certainly should be. Suggest you read the thread I posted about the totalitarian gov't in progress. But maybe you don't want to really know what's going on eh?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:28 pm
mysteryman wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

Surprised Babblefish is not always accurate for translations. :wink:
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:45 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Englishmajor said,
Quote:

Wanna bet?

Or this...

or this one...

Well, mysteryman, I read your links. So what? My statement was 'no one has threatened Canada'. That statement still stands.

Your first link: concerned agreements between Canada and NORAD in 1996. They expired after 5 years. Next link:

David Wilkins, the doddering fool that the US uses for Canada's ambassador. He has not got a clue, like most politicians, about what Canadians think. How could he? Do you think he mingles with the masses? Have him walk down any street in Canada and ask: "How do you, as a Canadian, feel about US military presence in your country. How do you feel about missile defense?" Relations between the two countries are NOT good. Next link:

regarding missile defense: 2004 - Canada has not yet made a decision on whether to join the US plans for ballistic missile defense system.

**Suggest you check this site: www.ceasefire.ca where you will see that Canadians - a good portion of them - do NOT want missile defense. It has NOT been signed by our PM. The system has never had a successful test, so why would Canada sign onto such a wet dream of Bush's? (Actually it was Reagan who wanted it). If you can find a site that says it HAS had a successful test (not published by the US Armed Forces, of course!) let me know. Otherwise, here is another site for your information, concerning the nasty crap that America is up to: type in HAARP and see what you come up with.

Any more questions? Got one for you. Why are you still an American? How can you sleep at night, knowing what your country is doing to Iraq, all in the name of oil and power?

Thanks, guys, for your comments about my citizenship. Yeah I'm here in Canada for good and I LOVE IT! My lawyer has done a fantastic job of fast tracking us, thank god. Whether I am Canadian, Swedish, Italian, etc is not the point here, is it. Do try to stay on track mysteryman.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:46 pm
mysteryman wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Sgt Rock wrote

Because he claims to be an American expat,living in Canada.
Thats my reason for asking.

And,what business is it of yours why I asked,are you his mommy?

Thanks blueveinedthrobber. It really is no one's business.....actually I'm from Pluto......
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:49 pm
Intrepid wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

Surprised Babblefish is not always accurate for translations. :wink:

And 'tis a good thing he is not, eh? Very Happy Might be more than he could handle. Or, he might try it....... Laughing
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:19 am
Mysteryman - this might explain a lot of what's going on here LOL!

Quote:
Former Canadian Minister Of Defence Asks Canadian Parliament Asked To Hold Hearings On Relations With Alien "Et" Civilizations

November 24, 2005 -- A former Canadian Minister of Defence and Deputy Prime Minister under Pierre Trudeau has joined forces with three Non-governmental organizations to ask the Parliament of Canada to hold public hearings on Exopolitics -- relations with "ETs."

By "ETs," Mr. Hellyer and these organizations mean ethical, advanced extraterrestrial civilizations that may now be visiting Earth.On September 25, 2005, in a startling speech at the University of Toronto that caught the attention of mainstream newspapers and magazines, Paul Hellyer, Canada's Defence Minister from 1963-67 under Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Prime Minister Lester Pearson, publicly stated: "UFOs, are as real as the airplanes that fly over your head."

Mr. Hellyer went on to say, "I'm so concerned about what the consequences might be of starting an intergalactic war, that I just think I had to say something."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20051124/bs_prweb/prweb314382_1

Laughing

englishmajor - we're happy to see that the attendants have allowed you to have a laptop! Must be difficult typing through that straight-jacket, though Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:33 am
JustWonders wrote:
Mysteryman - this might explain a lot of what's going on here LOL!

Throughout his life, Hellyer has been opposed to the weaponization of space. He supports the Space Preservation Treaty to ban space weapons.

Quote:
[...]In early September of 2005, Hellyer made history by publicly announcing that he believed in UFOs. On September 25, 2005, he was an invited speaker at an exopolitics conference in Toronto where he told the audience that he had seen a UFO one night with his late wife and some friends. He said that though he discounted the experience at the time, he had kept an open mind to it. He said that he started taking the issue much more seriously after watching ABC's Peter Jennings' UFO special in February 2005.

Watching Jennings' UFO special prompted Hellyer to finally read Philip Corso's book The Day After Roswell which had been sitting on his shelf for some time. Hellyer told the Toronto audience that he later spoke to a retired Air Force General who confirmed the accuracy of the information in the book.

Hellyer told the audience that in December 2004, he had enjoyed reading and had endorsed a book by Alfred Webre titled: "Exopolitics - Politics, Government and Law in the Universe". He ended his 30 minute historical talk with a standing ovation by stating: "To turn us in the direction of re-unification with the rest of creation the author is proposing a "Decade of Contact" - an "era of openness, public hearings, publicly funded research, and education about extraterrestrial reality."
Wikipedia

The Republican party's 1964 candidate for President:

Quote:
"I certainly believe in aliens in space. They may not look like us, but I have very strong feelings that they have advanced beyond our mental capabilities."

"It is true that I was denied access to a facility at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, because I never got in. I can't tell you what was inside. We both know about the rumors ( concerning a captured UFO and crew members ). I have never seen what I would call a UFO, but I have intelligent friends who have."

"I think some highly secret government UFO investigations are going on that we don't know about, and probably never will unless the Air Force discloses them."

"I put faith in the reports of the Air Force, Navy, and commercial pilots who reported instances where a UFO would fly near them, right off their plane's wing, and then just zoom away at incredible speeds."

"I remember the case in Georgia in the 1950s of a National Guard plane going after a UFO and never returning. And I recall the case in Franklin, Kentucky, when four military planes investigated a UFO. One of them exploded in midair and no one knows why."
0 Replies