DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE CHRISTIANITY AND JEHOVAS WITNESSES?

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:14 pm
you sure do take things seriously neo
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:25 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
you sure do take things seriously neo
Tha's what Joe Sixpack is always gettin' after me fer.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:25 pm
neologist wrote:
J_B wrote:
exactly, the reference to the Holy Spirit does not mean the resurrencted Christ until you get to Paul's manipulations.
Manipulations?

ma·nip·u·la·tion Audio pronunciation of "manipulations" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-npy-lshn)
n.

1. The act or practice of manipulating.
2. The state of being manipulated.
2. Shrewd or devious management, especially for one's own advantage.
manipulation

The first definition is circular, the second one fits pretty well. Although it is possible that he believed in himself and was simply an egomaniac - I'm open to that possibility as well.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:26 pm
Specificity required. Or, am I getting too serious?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
gotta run, but the "Disciples of Christ" do a pretty good job of neutralizing Paul. I'll try to give you my own list later.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:39 pm
It was Paul who wrote in 2 Timothy 3:16 that "All Scripture is inspired of God . . ." , right?

If we can't believe Paul, the whole bible is suspect; we can believe and do whatever we please.

Or is that a good thing?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:45 pm
neologist wrote:

If we can't believe Paul, the whole bible is suspect; we can believe and do whatever we please.

Or is that a good thing?

It works for me :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm
J_B wrote:
neologist wrote:

Or is that a good thing?

It works for me :wink:

wait... that was too flippant, but I'm in a hurry.

"A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;" is the cornerstone 4th Principle of UU and it's exactly why I'm there. "...believe and do whatever we please" is too easy, I like "free and responsible" better.

Gotta run, have a nice day!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:42 pm
neologist wrote:
It was Paul who wrote in 2 Timothy 3:16 that "All Scripture is inspired of God . . ." , right?

I have brought this up before, but I cannot recollect having seen a reasonable explanation for this question. What law was Paul referring to in this verse?

1 Corinthians 14:
Quote:
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Does anyone have any scriptural or historical evidence for such a law? Was Paul just inserting his own biases and attempting to add some authority?

To see other usage of the term "the law" see Strongs here[/b]
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 05:05 pm
ok, mesquit, I'm swinging toward egomaniac rather than manipulator.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:06 pm
neologist wrote:

The thing I always hated about the idea of heaven was that you have to die first. And when you get there, what do you do?

Sky dive?

Well, from a guys perspective, maybe the Muslims are on to something....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:34 pm
neologist wrote:

The thing I always hated about the idea of heaven was that you have to die first. And when you get there, what do you do?

Sky dive?

You goof-ball . . . you know you're supposed to spend eternity singing hosanahs to that ego-maniac . . .

Confidentially, you'll be standing around the throne of god, where the light is as the light of ten thousand suns--whereas those of us down below will merely be swimming in a lake of molten brimstone. It's gonna be a whole helluva lot hotter where you are . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:47 pm
Make sure to take along some weenies and marshmallows to roast, eterninty is supposed to be quite a long time...
0 Replies

Prism

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:53 pm
mesquite wrote:

I have brought this up before, but I cannot recollect having seen a reasonable explanation for this question. What law was Paul referring to in this verse?

1 Corinthians 14:
Quote:
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Does anyone have any scriptural or historical evidence for such a law? Was Paul just inserting his own biases and attempting to add some authority?

Well, God said to Eve was in Genesis 3:16 "To the woman he said: "I shall greatly increase the pain of your pregnancy; in birth pangs you will bring forth children, and your craving will be for your husband, and he will dominate you." " Paul wasn't being original, making up his own law in 1 Cor 14:34 when he said "be under obedience".

As for verse 35, my understanding of that is that women would not speak out in such a way that would undermine the authority of the leaders in the congregation. Instead should have a supportive role. BUT, he isn't saying that women should just shut their traps and go to the kitchen and make stew. Women are deserving of respect, and so is their thoughts/opinions. And this verse isn't giving men an excuse to treat their's or other's women like garbage. If a woman has a question, she can ask it more privately. If she has a really good point, she can bring it up, let the leaders of the congregation know what she thinking. If the leaders in the congregation are totally missing something, she can let them know...but going behind their backs, talking to the congregation like she knows best, actually instructing them what to do...=undermining them, is not appropriate, nor respectful....which would be the "shameful" that Paul is referring to.

The book of Genesis is part of the Torah, and the Torah is the law spoken of - what the Jewish people strive to abide by (Jewish High Court of the day were the ultimate religious authority...though have taken laws to more of an extreme, perhaps more so in that day. Eg. talking to a woman too much would mean bringing evil upon yourself...these types of extremes were a huge cause of contention between the Jewish leaders of that day and Jesus himself). Paul, even Peter, were bringing this part of the law to where it was intended to be. Not disrespectful, ridiculous extremes of man-made guidelines/traditions.

Really, who better than Paul to know so much about the Jewish laws, by-laws, traditions, etc. He had been a Pharisee afterall, then known as Saul (found in Acts 13:9, should read starting in chapter 7-ish to learn about Saul). Acts 8:1 states "Saul, for his part, was approving of the murder of him", speaking of Stephen, who was in full support of Jesus. Galatians 1:13, 14 he admits he persecuted Christians.

Hopefully that helps somewhat. If not for the reasoning behind it, at least for that it's not coming outta Paul's ass (or Peter's).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:56 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Make sure to take along some weenies and marshmallows to roast, eterninty is supposed to be quite a long time...

Good idea . . . maybe some wings and hot sauce, too . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:57 pm
You assume there is a fire someplace?

Oh, and Prism: Yeah, what you said.

Somehow I think we are reading the same book.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:05 pm
Bump
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:50 am
Prism,

That is probably the best explanation of that passage that I have ever heard. Thank you for posting it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:01 am
Sure wish prism had stayed around. . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:37 am
Whats pure christianity?
0 Replies