DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE CHRISTIANITY AND JEHOVAS WITNESSES?

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:32 am
Whats the difference between what the Christians believe and what the Jehovas Witnesses believe in?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,733 • Replies: 167
No top replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 04:29 am
Although I'm sure that most Jehovah's Witnesses would object to the nature of the question as stated, I would say that the major difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and most other professing Christian groups is that Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in the Deity of Christ.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 10:07 am
real life wrote:
Although I'm sure that most Jehovah's Witnesses would object to the nature of the question as stated, I would say that the major difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and most other professing Christian groups is that Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in the Deity of Christ.
Not quite. They don't believe Jesus and Jehovah are identical.

There are many more important things, I realize; but one of the first things I noticed was the absence of a collection plate.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 10:30 am
Did you notice the homophobia?
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:53 am
real life wrote:

Nor do I.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:00 pm
smorgs wrote:
Did you notice the homophobia?
There is a difference between the term homophobia and recognizing and understanding the bible's command to abstain from homosexuality. In my work I meet folks of every inclination. I treat them all with respect.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm
http://www.watchtower.org/library/jt/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:49 pm
The Jehovahs Witnesses, IMO were founded as a result of an error in judgement by the "founder' C T Russell. He and another Philly partner predicted that Jesus would return to earth in 1879. When he didnt show up , Russell was mortified and changed his theology (He headed the "Watchtowere Bible Students Organization") After his death in 1916 , the Witnesses were formed and repudiated most of what Russell taught. So , they are really a classic comedy of Spiro AGnew mispeaks.

I love to talk with them, they are so full of confidence but about an inch deep in fact.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 04:37 pm
Did you check out the Watchtower site? Also check out this http://members.aol.com/beyondjw/
It is a JW recovery site (for those who have left).

I have nothing good to say about JW ideas. I have personal experience with friends who were raised JW. In my opinion, it is the same as raising a child in a nasty cult. It's ...wacky....weird....just plain creepy!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:40 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
Not quite. They don't believe Jesus and Jehovah are identical.

There are many more important things, I realize; but one of the first things I noticed was the absence of a collection plate.

Nearly every group accepts donations to defer expenses such as a building for a meeting place, etc.

My church simply puts a wooden box with a slot in the lid on a table back in the corner . If you want to contribute, you just drop it in. I'm not sure the method is all that important.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:33 pm
Woo doggies . . . the imaginary friend crowd are abashin' one another . . . this oughta be good ! ! !

I should start a thread asserting that Catholics are the only true christians--that'll get the fundamentalists frothing at the mouth . . .
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:50 pm
Yeaa, do it Set!! Laughing

BTW: the JW's hate Catholics. Why? 'Cause they can. Laughing
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
Woo doggies . . . the imaginary friend crowd are abashin' one another . . . this oughta be good ! ! !

I should start a thread asserting that Catholics are the only true christians--that'll get the fundamentalists frothing at the mouth . . .

You're queer!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:45 pm
I am rubber, you are glue
Your insults bounce off
And stick to you . . .

you are so gay . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:52 pm
I could start a thread, Set, alleging that the Roman Catholic Church is not actually monotheistic at all and that, therefore, Catholics have no right to call themsleves Christians. Been in the back of my mind. Where most of these thoughts stay, anyway.

But the Witnesses, now, they're a hoot an' a holler. I love to engage them in conversation. 90 percent of the time they don't know what they're talking about and misquote the Bible egregiously. It can get tiresome after a while, though. As someone else has alreadt pointed out, they're terribly earnest and sincere, but only about an inch deep.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:54 pm
Those stories about the Catholics are as old as dirt, MA. I wish i had a dollar for every fundy nut who has told me the Catholics ain't christians . . .

It cracks me up, i love it when the god squad start to squabblin' amongst themselves . . .
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 10:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
I am rubber, you are glue
Your insults bounce off
And stick to you . . .

you are so gay . . .

Yes I am happy thank you.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:43 am
Quote:
There is a difference between the term homophobia and recognizing and understanding the bible's command to abstain from homosexuality. In my work I meet folks of every inclination. I treat them all with respect.

...but you still think that a man loving another man is an abomination, therefore, no difference.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:27 am
farmerman wrote:
The Jehovahs Witnesses, IMO were founded as a result of an error in judgement by the "founder' C T Russell. He and another Philly partner predicted that Jesus would return to earth in 1879. When he didnt show up , Russell was mortified and changed his theology (He headed the "Watchtowere Bible Students Organization") After his death in 1916 , the Witnesses were formed and repudiated most of what Russell taught. So , they are really a classic comedy of Spiro AGnew mispeaks.

I love to talk with them, they are so full of confidence but about an inch deep in fact.
Actually, farmer, Russell did not begin publishing the Watchtower until the year 1879, though he had been publishing articles in a journal called the Herald of the Morning for several years.

The International Bible Students, as they were called early on, did not adopt the name Jehovah's Witnesses until the 1930's.

There have been several adjustments to the structure of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society since its inception, but very few changes in basic understanding. For example: Since the beginning, bible students have repudiated the doctrine of the immortality of the soul and eternal punishment for the wicked.

I would love to talk with you as well. May I bring along Joe Sixpack?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:31 am
smorgs wrote:
Quote:

...but you still think that a man loving another man is an abomination, therefore, no difference.

I don't have a problem with a man loving another man. It's the screwing another man part that is an abomination to me. But hey, different strokes (no pun intended) for different folks!!!!!
0 Replies