DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE CHRISTIANITY AND JEHOVAS WITNESSES?

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:48 am
flushd wrote:
Did you check out the Watchtower site? Also check out this http://members.aol.com/beyondjw/
It is a JW recovery site (for those who have left).

I have nothing good to say about JW ideas. I have personal experience with friends who were raised JW. In my opinion, it is the same as raising a child in a nasty cult. It's ...wacky....weird....just plain creepy!

Funny you should say that. I have personal experience with folks of many persuasions and levels of upbringing. In my opinion, they are all about the same, with but a few exceptions.

flushd wrote:
Yeaa, do it Set!! Laughing

BTW: the JW's hate Catholics. Why? 'Cause they can. Laughing
Funny you should say that. I was raised a Catholic. I certainly deplore the teachings of the church and, by extension, have little regard for those clergymen who know better but teach it anyway.

But I don't know any Witnesses who hate anybody.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:16 am
smorgs wrote:
neologist wrote:
There is a difference between the term homophobia and recognizing and understanding the bible's command to abstain from homosexuality. In my work I meet folks of every inclination. I treat them all with respect.

...but you still think that a man loving another man is an abomination, therefore, no difference.
Do you wish me to say those who practice homosexuality have God's favor? Cite me a scripture.

Do you wish me to say homosexuality is a healthy lifestyle? Tell me the average life expectancy of homosexuals.

Do you wish me to say homosexual orientation is not by choice? Explain bisexuality.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:36 pm
Quote:
Do you wish me to say those who practice homosexuality have God's favor? Cite me a scripture.

Do you wish me to say homosexuality is a healthy lifestyle? Tell me the average life expectancy of homosexuals.

Do you wish me to say homosexual orientation is not by choice? Explain bisexuality

...no - I can't be bothered
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:42 pm
Neologist,
I was speaking for myself. Obviously you are a different person and may have had different personal experiences than I!
Laughing

http://biflag.com/images/activism/bicanada.gif
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
Understood, flushd.

BTW; I realize there are other organizations which can make this claim; but many can not: I have never observed even a hint of racism, nationalism, or class distinctions.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:48 pm
neologist wrote:

But I don't know any Witnesses who hate anybody.

The Jehovah Witness' can be pretty hard on their own, though.

One year there were two big murder cases here in Oregon of Jehovah Witness families that had been "shunned" by the church where the father killed the entire family and, in one case, killed himself too.

I have a friend who was raised JW and she hated it - going door to door with her mom to spread the word, never celebrating a birthday, not being able to say the Pledge of Allegiance in school, and so on.

Those are the biggest difference I know. Shunning, I suppose is similar to excommunication but it also seems a bit more severe.

I can't think of any other Christian religions that refuse to celebrate birthdays or acknowledge the flag but I could be wrong.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
Boo, I was raised a Catholic and I hated it.

But you are right about one thing. One cannot escape being a sinner simply by painting himself with a religious label.

The Witnesses shun Michael Jackson. I don't think they are wrong about that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:08 am
I'm sure Michael loses sleep over that one . . .

(Insert appropriate rolly-eyed emoticon here . . .)
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:48 pm
All the sexual abuse you hear about on tv over the years, are they not committed only by preists who are a part of Jehova's Witnesses?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:57 pm
Witnesses don't have clergymen.

No one may escape responsibility to God by hiding behind a religious label.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:04 pm
The difference between Jehovas witnesess and christanity?

One goes door to door armed with the watchtower and one goes country to country armed with m-16's spreading the will of god.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:47 pm
C'mon, Amigo. You can do better than that.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:12 pm
Pretty half assed huh? Confused
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 04:41 am
neo wrote:
There are many more important things, I realize; but one of the first things I noticed was the absence of a collection plate.

Instead, they have collection boxes.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:41 pm
When was the last time a group of Christians went out and slaughtered anyone in the name of God?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:22 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
When was the last time a group of Christians went out and slaughtered anyone in the name of God?

Well, it's been a while, I guess. But during the Middle Ages and, later, during the Reformation, it was quite a commonplace thing. The Crusades, the Holy Inquisition, the burning of 'heretics' by both sides in the Protestant/Catholic dispute and on and on. If one wanted to stretch a point, one could say that the Roman church has already apologized for the fact that the Pope of the 1940s did not even publicly condemn Hitler's Holocaust. Christians have a very bloody history. And, we can't really say "last time." More accurately put, Momma, the question should be "When was the most recent time a group of Christians went out and slaughtered anyone in the name of God?" Because, of course, we have no guarantee that that was the "last" time and that it will never happen again.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:36 am
That may be true Merry Andrew, but when do people stop saying it? When will others understand that is not what Christianity is about? It doesn't seem to matter how much evidence is shown that Christians of today don't go out and slaughter in the name of God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:33 am
So, when the Orthodox Serbs of Bosnia-Herzegovina slaughtered Croatians because they're Catholic, and Bosnians because they're Muslims--that doesn't count, eh? When Serbs slaughter Kosovars because they're Muslim, that doesn't count, eh? When Prods and Catholics slaughter one another in Ireland, that doesn't count, eh?

Get real with the pure of heart christian horse poop . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:34 am
Eric Rudolph doesn't count right?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:35 am
Re: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURE CHRISTIANITY AND JEHOVAS WITNESS
Jamesw84 wrote:
Whats the difference between what the Christians believe and what the Jehovas Witnesses believe in?

As I understood the two friendly people who knocked at my door one day, the main difference is that they figured out the approximate date of the Second Coming. They have their own ideosyncratic bible translation. From selectively interpreting certain prophesies in it, they deducted that it will come before the last person who lived during World War I dies. (That person is now at least 88 years old, so it's going to happen Real Soon Now (TM).) Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much difference between them and your standard issue American evangelical cults.
0 Replies