U.S. Lies About Use of Chemical Weapons

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 04:32 pm
For eight pages, we've been arguing about semantics here. For eight pages, Federal has been parrotting the same tired old argument again and again. So what if it freaking isn't classified as a chemical weapon by treaties, which are effectively laws?

According to an old English law, putting a stamp of the Queen on an envelope upside-down is an act of high treason. According to South-East Water Ltd. water is NOT a renewable resource. According to confectionary companies, miniature chocolate bars are "fun size" and according to China, Falun Gong, isn't a religious group but a crack pot "evil cult".

According to the US Military, civilians killed in action aren't unfortunate tragedies but collateral damage.

Put the spin on the other one, will you?

Yes, we've acknowledged the fact that according to some treaty, white phosphorous was not classed as a chemical weapon because nations didn't want to part with their precious phosphorous.

The hogwash is that white phosphorous, despite being not classed a chemical weapon is clearly a chemical weapon if used against people in the context of the Fallujah claims. In that case, it is a weapon used to harm people and it acts through chemical reactions.

The argument that should be being [CENSORED] debated about is the US reluctance to sign up to a part of the treaty that the majority of the world has signed up to, limiting the use of white phosphorous and whether WP should be reclassified.

But everyone seems to be dodging the real issue here.

Maybe we should dump some WP on you guys and see whether you'd still want to call it a conventional weapon then.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 04:49 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
For eight pages, we've been arguing about semantics here. For eight pages, Federal has been parrotting the same tired old argument again and again. So what if it freaking isn't classified as a chemical weapon by treaties, which are effectively laws?

According to an old English law, putting a stamp of the Queen on an envelope upside-down is an act of high treason. According to South-East Water Ltd. water is NOT a renewable resource. According to confectionary companies, miniature chocolate bars are "fun size" and according to China, Falun Gong, isn't a religious group but a crack pot "evil cult".

According to the US Military, civilians killed in action aren't unfortunate tragedies but collateral damage.

Put the spin on the other one, will you?

Yes, we've acknowledged the fact that according to some treaty, white phosphorous was not classed as a chemical weapon because nations didn't want to part with their precious phosphorous.

The hogwash is that white phosphorous, despite being not classed a chemical weapon is clearly a chemical weapon if used against people in the context of the Fallujah claims. In that case, it is a weapon used to harm people and it acts through chemical reactions.

The argument that should be being [CENSORED] debated about is the US reluctance to sign up to a part of the treaty that the majority of the world has signed up to, limiting the use of white phosphorous and whether WP should be reclassified.

But everyone seems to be dodging the real issue here.

Maybe we should dump some WP on you guys and see whether you'd still want to call it a conventional weapon then.

Very Happy
Thank you, I notice that the folks with the most intelligence do not reside in the U.S. Their spin doctors are busy telling them another bedtime story. Yes, as I suggested to Fedral, if it's so safe, how about we dump some on YOUR bum. Laughing I got no reply, of course. The real issue, as you say, is avoided. Typical American style.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 05:18 pm
Now, now, there are some very intelligent American posters here. I'd name a few, but I don't want to make anyone feel left out.

It's certainly not their fault there's some rabid maniacs living in their country and that percentage-wise there's just as many rabid maniacs in the US as in other countries but number-wise it amounts to a Heck of a lot.

Oh, and tone down some of your responses will you? I know you're trying to make a point, but you're beginning to sound just like the people you detest.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:18 pm
Of course, and it would be nice if their responses were polite, as well! 59% of Americans who voted for Bush IS a large amount - or heck of an amount as you say. How can that many people be so - dense?

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing. (Twain).
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:59 am
englishmajor wrote:
Of course, and it would be nice if their responses were polite, as well! 59% of Americans who voted for Bush IS a large amount - or heck of an amount as you say. How can that many people be so - dense?

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing. (Twain).

To be fair, Kerry wasn't exactly an ideal candidate, which was a mighty shame. The entire 2004 election was summed up quite accurately by this South Park quote:

"All elections... are between a douche and a turd sandwich."
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:55 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

To be fair, Kerry wasn't exactly an ideal candidate, which was a mighty shame. The entire 2004 election was summed up quite accurately by this South Park quote:

"All elections... are between a douche and a turd sandwich."

Confused Yeech. But Kerry was at least articulate and would have ended the debacle in Iraq, don't you think? I'm so embarrassed for the Americans everytime Bush opens his mouth! How can such a...a... turd sandwich be the leader of the so called superpower? Really, Homer Simpson could do better. :wink: I do hope they have someone in '08 (besides Jeb Bush) for a contender......John Edwards would be good.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:13 am
Re: U.S. Lies About Use of Chemical Weapons
Quote:
White phosphorus is not listed in the schedules of the Chemical Weapons Convention. It can be legally used as a flare to illuminate the battlefield, or to produce smoke to hide troop movements from the enemy.

Or as an incendiary.

Quote:
Like other unlisted substances, it may be deployed for "Military purposes... not dependent on the use of the toxic properties of chemicals as a method of warfare".

Such as an incendiary use.

Quote:
But it becomes a chemical weapon as soon as it is used directly against people.

Not if it's being used as an incendiary.

Quote:
A chemical weapon can be "any chemical which through its chemical action on life processes can cause death, temporary incapacitation or permanent harm".

In other words, chemical weapons are poisons, not incendiaries.

Quote:
White phosphorus is fat-soluble and burns spontaneously on contact with the air. According to globalsecurity.org: "The burns usually are multiple, deep, and variable in size. The solid in the eye produces severe injury. The particles continue to burn unless deprived of atmospheric oxygen... If service members are hit by pieces of white phosphorus, it could burn right down to the bone." As it oxidizes, it produces smoke composed of phosphorus pentoxide. According to the standard US industrial safety sheet, the smoke "releases heat on contact with moisture and will burn mucous surfaces... Contact... can cause severe eye burns and permanent damage."

In other words, white phosphorus is an incendiary.

Quote:
Given that they care so much, why has none of these hawks spoken out against the use of unconventional weapons by coalition forces?

Because there has been no use of WMDs by Coalition forces.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:19 am
englishmajor wrote:
White phosphorus is not listed in the schedules of the Chemical Weapons Convention. It can be legally used as a flare to illuminate the battlefield, or to produce smoke to hide troop movements from the enemy.

Or as an incendiary.

Quote:
Like other unlisted substances, it may be deployed for "Military purposes... not dependent on the use of the toxic properties of chemicals as a method of warfare".

Such as incendiary uses.

Quote:

No it doesn't.

Quote:
Causing extreme, unnecessary pain to people is what this is about. That your government lied about it is the MAIN POINT. You can split hairs all you want, but America is despicable and makes Saddam look like Santa Claus. America has become worse, with it's torture and murder, as what they overthrew. What goes around, comes around, and America's turn is coming. Shame on you.

This grows tiresome.

I propose we nuke Tikrit, just for kicks. Say a 1.2 MT bomb at a height that maximizes 30PSI overpresure.

Let's give them a REAL weapon of mass destruction to whine about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:23 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
It acts chemically with your body. It's just powder. That's not the same as napalm, which kills through burning. It's a chemical powder that chemically reacts with your body.

That is incorrect. WP kills through burning just fine.

I don't think it is a powder either.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:25 am
old europe wrote:
If white phosphorus, which was used "to flush out enemy fighters so that they could then be killed with high explosive rounds", is not a chemical weapon, what is it then?

a) nuclear
b) biological
c) conventional

???

"c) conventional"
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:35 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
This entire debate is about semantics really. WP should be classed as a chemical weapon, because although it is incendiary it burns people through a chemical reaction.

Well, despite your opinion, it isn't classed as a chemical weapon.

Quote:
Frankly, all this call about WP being a chemical weapon is absolutely understandable.

Anti-American propaganda may be understandable, but it is still tiresome.

Quote:
It is a chemical. It kills and wounds through chemical actions and it's a weapon. Why on Earth it was never classed a Chemical Weapon is beyond me.

It has to do with the fact that it is nothing like a chemical weapon.

Quote:
Perhaps nations liked the idea of retaining chemical weapons, despite the treaty, and thus classified WP as an incendiary device instead of what it really is (all because it can be used differently).

Actually, they classed it s a smoke device.

They did so because that is what it really is: a smoke device.

Quote:
Looks to me like the Chemical Weapons Treaty needs to be updated to include WP.

I'd think it better to keep the Chemical Weapons Convention so it only covers chemical weapons.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:43 am
old europe wrote:
I agree, I wouldn't call it "Chemical Warfare". Nevertheless, I wonder if the way WP was used in Fallujah, it couldn't be described as a chemical weapon.

Nope. It would be described as an incendiary weapon instead.

old europe wrote:
Now, let's again look at the definition from the Chemical Weapons Convention

Fedral wrote:
1. "Chemical Weapons" means the following, together or separately:

(a) Toxic chemicals and their precursors, except where intended for purposes not prohibited under this Convention, as long as the types and quantities are consistent with such purposes;

[...]

2. "Toxic Chemical" means:

Any chemical which through its chemical action on life processes can cause death, temporary incapacitation or permanent harm to humans or animals. This includes all such chemicals, regardless of their origin or of their method of production, and regardless of whether they are produced in facilities, in munitions or elsewhere.

What they are describing is "poison".

That is quite different from using a weapon to produce fire.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:47 am
old europe wrote:
I'd say that the "purposes not prohibited under this Convention" would be using it to produce smoke, for screening purposes. Nada mas.

The convention only prohibits using it as a poison.

That does not prohibit using it as an incendiary.

old europe wrote:
Interesting question, though. I have no idea whether WP would change its status.

If it were used as a poison, it would change its status.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:51 am
goodfielder wrote:
That's what I was getting at. I can see the debates revolving around specific definitions of words when what should be looked at are actions. Following your point, it's irrelevant if the murder weapon was a knife or a croquet mallet - it's still a weapon used to murder.

But the bogus charge here is not "murder". The bogus charge focuses solely on whether the weapon is legal.

There was no murder.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:53 am
englishmajor wrote:

No it doesn't.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:55 am
old europe wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
That's what I was getting at. I can see the debates revolving around specific definitions of words when what should be looked at are actions. Following your point, it's irrelevant if the murder weapon was a knife or a croquet mallet - it's still a weapon used to murder.

Good point. It's the crime that gets punished, not the weapon. Even if you'd kill somebody with a frying pan, you would (if caught) get sentenced for murder.

There was no murder alleged here. The only "crime" involved the bogus claims about chemical weapons.

old europe wrote:
Couldn't therefore the act of firing WP shells right at an enemy fighter in a battle rightfully be characterized as chemical warfare?

Nope.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:59 am
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:
Couldn't therefore the act of firing WP shells right at an enemy fighter in a battle rightfully be characterized as chemical warfare?

At the risk of being a bit obvious, it depends on the definition of "chemical warfare" but it seems intuitively correct to me.

You are mistaken. Firing incendiary munitions at the enemy does not count as chemical warfare.

goodfielder wrote:
I reckon it would be right up there with "war crime".

The laws of war do not prohibit firing on the enemy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 01:02 am
englishmajor wrote:
America lied about the use of chemical weapons. Period. You lose.

No they didn't.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 01:04 am
old europe wrote:
Fedral wrote:
Chemical Weapons ARE WMDs

Fedral, according to the definition in the Convention you posted, that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. It seems.

???

Chemical weapons are a subset of WMDs, which also include biological weapons, nuclear weapons, and radiological weapons.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 01:20 am
Re: Fedral
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
White phosphorous if used as a weapon is not a conventional weapon.

Yes it is.
0 Replies