9th circuit does it again,you cant teach your kids

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:21 pm
I am curious to know how the parents here would react to finding out that their children had been asked about touching themselves at school. Would you think that was ok?

Whether or not you've talked to them already, is it ok to tell them that it's not ok for other people to touch you but it's ok for other people to talk to you about your privates?

I understand what the survey was trying to learn but I think that a survey like this is too early for a 3rd grader. Perhaps 6th grade would be more appropriate (yes, too late for the talk with parents) but not too late for someone else to ask. I think kids need to learn what is and what is not ok concerning their bodies before we allow strangers to ask them very private questions.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:22 pm
That poor kid!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:24 pm
I didn't say it was OK to misrepresent the content of the survey. But if the parent OKs it, then I don't see any harm.

I don't think I would allow my child to participate.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:25 pm
At what age do you think those questions are appropriate from a stranger?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:26 pm
DrewDad, do you believe that eye and spine screenings should be a function of our educational system? I don't. That is a parent's responsibility to see to the health of a child. It is the school's responsibility to give the child an education. And I do not consider sex education to be a public health issue. It seems we got along quite well before someone decided to teach about sex in the schools. Fact is, I think society got along much better before we took up school time to educate our children about sex, but that is for another discussion.

Do you view sex education in the same way you view math, science, history, music, art, etc? Do you not see a difference? If not, then I guess you have no problem with a teacher teaching sex education to your children or with a school asking your 1st grader the questions in this survey. I would have a problem with that.

I believe that educating children about sex is a parent's responsibility. That happens to be my personal opinion. I recognize that many others believe otherwise, which is fine.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:28 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

So Coastal Rat goes on record for promoting sexual ignorance. Anyone else... Bueller?

I go on record for the opinion I stated. Twist it however you wish. Which goes to prove my point. Maybe if your school had spent more time on reading comprehension and less time on other matters, you would not have had so much trouble understanding what I said.

I am far better educated than you are. You describe being literate as knowing the difference between their and there and its and it's, then do not even know how to construct a complete sentence. LOL

BTW, Shakespeare, this medium is not "writing." It is talk using a keyboard.

Again, you continue to struggle with reading comprehension. Where did I describe being literate as knowing the difference between their and there and its or it's? If we are going to get into a pissing contest about which of us is better educated, then this discussion has totally collapsed. I have no need to tout to you or anyone else my educational credentials because I have no need to build up my ego. Quite frankly, the fact that I am more educated than you does not make my opinions more valid than yours, so I have no need to go there. :wink:

So you say we are talking and not writing? Ok, have it your way. You talk, I'll write. (Or type, to be more precise) How did that further our discussion?

Wow! Using proper grammar is part of literacy. You have a definite problem communicating your thoughts into words unlike myself who I might describe as being intentionally obtuse. An astute more educated, more intelligent reader would recognize this.

Again, YOU can consider this medium writing, it's not. Someone well educated in English would know the difference.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:30 pm
Quote:
And I do not consider sex education to be a public health issue.

I just don't see how you can say this, for two reasons:

1. Abortions

2. STD's

Both of which are consequences of a lack of education, and both of which carry great problems for our society.

Greater education would help alleviate both problems. This could have nothing but positive effects for our society.

Of course, the solution to both of these is to teach kids to use condoms; but am I wrong in thinking that you disagree with this approach? If so, why?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:30 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
...I do not consider sex education to be a public health issue.

Amazing. Simply amazing!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:31 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

Again, YOU can consider this medium writing, it's not. Someone well educated in English would know the difference.

Are you completely daft? What is it then? I am well educated in English. I studied it in college. This is writing. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:32 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I am curious to know how the parents here would react to finding out that their children had been asked about touching themselves at school. Would you think that was ok?

Whether or not you've talked to them already, is it ok to tell them that it's not ok for other people to touch you but it's ok for other people to talk to you about your privates?

I understand what the survey was trying to learn but I think that a survey like this is too early for a 3rd grader. Perhaps 6th grade would be more appropriate (yes, too late for the talk with parents) but not too late for someone else to ask. I think kids need to learn what is and what is not ok concerning their bodies before we allow strangers to ask them very private questions.

Bella, I think you and I are basically in agreement. I think our only big difference is that I don't think it is any of the school's business to take such a survey. They have no reason or right to ask children this age those questions nor any educational reason for knowing the answers to those questions.

But I will admit that once or twice I have been wrong. So for those who think this survey was no big deal, please tell me what reasons the school would have for asking these questions of anyone, much less 1st graders?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

1. Abortions

2. STD's

Both of which are consequences of a lack of education, and both of which carry great problems for our society.

Greater education would help alleviate both problems. This could have nothing but positive effects for our society.

Of course, the solution to both of these is to teach kids to use condoms; but am I wrong in thinking that you disagree with this approach? If so, why?

Cycloptichorn

Great minds think alike.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:34 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
I believe that educating children about sex is a parent's responsibility. That happens to be my personal opinion. I recognize that many others believe otherwise, which is fine.

I agree that parents have this responsibility.

Regrettably, too few follow through on this responsibility, and I believe that society as a whole owes it to the children to make sure they get that education before it is too late to be of any value.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:34 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

Are you completely daft? What is it then? I am well educated in English. I studied it in college. This is writing. Rolling Eyes

It is not writing. It is talk using a keyboard instead of vocal chords.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:35 pm
For Twin Peaks....

M-W Dictionary
Main Entry: writ·ing
Pronunciation: 'rI-ti[ng]
Function: noun
1 : the act or process of one who writes : as a : the act or art of forming visible letters or characters; specifically : HANDWRITING 1 b : the act or practice of literary or musical composition
2 : something written : as a : letters or characters that serve as visible signs of ideas, words, or symbols b : a letter, note, or notice used to communicate or record c : a written composition d : INSCRIPTION
3 : a style or form of composition
4 : the occupation of a writer; especially : the profession of authorship
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:36 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

It is not writing. It is talk using a keyboard instead of vocal chords.

And I wouldn't call you obtuse. I'd use a much stronger word I won't "talk" here because I don't want to get banned. You aren't worth that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:38 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

With my oldest having just turned two, we haven't really had to think about that.

However, she does know "penis" and "vagina." She's still a little iffy on the whole difference between boys and girls thing, though.

I'll say it again, I may or may not allow my child to participate depending on the content of the survey. And I would insist on knowing all of the questions prior to giving my approval.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:43 pm
DrewDad wrote:

However, she does know "penis" and "vagina." She's still a little iffy on the whole difference between boys and girls thing, though.

This is a totally different scenario. It is good that she knows her parts have a name and that boys differ from her. She might not "get it" yet but she at least has that knowledge planted in her head and one day she will get it.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

1. Abortions

2. STD's

Cycloptichorn

I'll answer if you promise not to take back your offer of buying me a drink? (From another thread) :wink:

STD's and abortions are not, in my opinion, consequences of a lack of education. They are the consequences of a promiscuous lifestyle. Now before you yell at me, I really do know what you are suggesting. I'm just being a bit on the stubborn side here. If parents took their job of raising their children seriously, then they would teach their children these things.

The whole issue is really not a knock on schools trying to teach sex education, but rather a knock on parents who happily give up their responsibilities to school systems that schools should not have to handle.

I understand why sex education is taught in our schools. I just disagree with it. I taught my own children about sex. I know parents who do not allow their children to be taught sex in schools. And I know some who do.

Again, as to the point of the thread, the school should have told the parents exactly what this survey was about and the nature of the questions. Then parents could have made an informed decision before signing off on the consent form. Obviously, this was not done.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:47 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
DrewDad, do you believe that eye and spine screenings should be a function of our educational system? I don't. That is a parent's responsibility to see to the health of a child. It is the school's responsibility to give the child an education. And I do not consider sex education to be a public health issue. It seems we got along quite well before someone decided to teach about sex in the schools. Fact is, I think society got along much better before we took up school time to educate our children about sex, but that is for another discussion.

Do you view sex education in the same way you view math, science, history, music, art, etc? Do you not see a difference? If not, then I guess you have no problem with a teacher teaching sex education to your children or with a school asking your 1st grader the questions in this survey. I would have a problem with that.

I don't think that screenings are given by the schools; the screeners go to the schools because it is a convenient place to find so many kids in one place. I definitely think the government has a compelling interest in monitoring the health of its citizens.

FYI, my near-sightedness was caught by such a screening; my parents were clueless.

I do think that sex education is a public health issue. Kids need to be aware of the dangers of sex.

I do not think that sex education is the same as math, science, music, and art, as it is a subset of "health" rather than a subject in and of itself. I do feel that basic health information covering anatomy, sex ed, nutrition, sanitation, etc. is something that is valuable to public education.

I do not anticipate having a problem with sex ed in the classroom, as we intend for our kids to be fully educated on reproduction before that.

Quote:
Fact is, I think society got along much better before we took up school time to educate our children about sex

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned that about kids growing up on farms. We can't depend on kids to get this stuff through osmosis anymore.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:52 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

With my oldest having just turned two, we haven't really had to think about that.

I'll say it again, I may or may not allow my child to participate depending on the content of the survey. And I would insist on knowing all of the questions prior to giving my approval.

It sounds as though you are doing things the right way. You know your children better than any teacher does. You know when she is ready for more information concerning her sexual education. As she grows you can and probably will teach her what she needs to learn, and I believe the lessons will be better received coming from you than some stranger.
0 Replies