9th circuit does it again,you cant teach your kids

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:20 pm
My objection is to parents who don't realize that kids are sexually interested and sexually active long before the parents want to talk about it.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:22 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Please do not try to warp this into something, it is not Harper.

No it is not Harper, whatever that is supposed to mean.

Again, this is a non-story. What is at issue here? Is anyone going to argue that schools should not provide sex education?

Actually, yeah, I would argue that schools have no business teaching sex education. I think our schools should stick to teaching things like math, english, history, etc and leave sex education and such to the parents.
Maybe then you would find that more adults would be able to speak and write properly. Maybe then people would know the difference between "there" and "their", "it's" and "its" and so on. But I realize that is too much to hope.

There, I did it. I gave you the argument for which you asked.

Oh, and about the topic. I think the questions had no business being asked of elementary students. If the school sent home a consent form, they should have spelled out exactly what the survey would contain. If they did that, then the parents had no reason to sue. Even less of a reason once the school discontinued the survey.

So Coastal Rat goes on record for promoting sexual ignorance. Anyone else... Bueller?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:25 pm
ehBeth wrote:
My objection is to parents who don't realize that kids are sexually interested and sexually active long before the parents want to talk about it.

The fact is most parents are not qualified to teach sexual education even assuming the willingness to do so. And the sexually repressed who favor sexual ignorance are even less qualified.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:25 pm
I also object to parents who stick their heads in the sand when it comes to talking about sex with their kids. But that fact does not obligate the school system to do it.

ehBeth, do you think this survey should have asked the questions it did of 1st, 3rd and 5th graders? If so, will you (or did you) sit your children down at that age and ask them these questions?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:29 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

So Coastal Rat goes on record for promoting sexual ignorance. Anyone else... Bueller?

I go on record for the opinion I stated. Twist it however you wish. Which goes to prove my point. Maybe if your school had spent more time on reading comprehension and less time on other matters, you would not have had so much trouble understanding what I said.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:30 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
I also object to parents who stick their heads in the sand when it comes to talking about sex with their kids. But that fact does not obligate the school system to do it.

It certainly does. It is as important as any other curricula. Hey, if you want to home school your kids, be my guest. I would rather my kids be taught by professional educators.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:34 pm
I would rather my kids be taught by someone who is capable of teaching them, which is why I do home school my kids.

Of course, the fact that kids who are home schooled do better on average on college entrance exams just shows how much better the professionals are at teaching. But that is another topic altogether.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:36 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

I go on record for the opinion I stated. Twist it however you wish. Which goes to prove my point. Maybe if your school had spent more time on reading comprehension and less time on other matters, you would not have had so much trouble understanding what I said.

I am far better educated than you are. You describe being literate as knowing the difference between their and there and its and it's, then do not even know how to construct a complete sentence. LOL

BTW, Shakespeare, this medium is not "writing." It is talk using a keyboard.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:37 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
I would rather my kids be taught by someone who is capable of teaching them, which is why I do home school my kids.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perish the thought!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:43 pm
No, I think it means he just had an idea.

Now all he needs is a Veep candidate called MelissasMum.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:56 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

I am far better educated than you are. You describe being literate as knowing the difference between their and there and its and it's, then do not even know how to construct a complete sentence. LOL

Again, you continue to struggle with reading comprehension. Where did I describe being literate as knowing the difference between their and there and its or it's? If we are going to get into a pissing contest about which of us is better educated, then this discussion has totally collapsed. I have no need to tout to you or anyone else my educational credentials because I have no need to build up my ego. Quite frankly, the fact that I am more educated than you does not make my opinions more valid than yours, so I have no need to go there. :wink:

So you say we are talking and not writing? Ok, have it your way. You talk, I'll write. (Or type, to be more precise) How did that further our discussion?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:01 pm
CoastalRat wrote:

Isn't this considered a public health issue? Why do we do eye and spine screenings? Why do we teach physical education, or music, or art? There is far more to creating citizens than simply teaching reading and math.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:03 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

The fact is most parents are not qualified to teach sexual education even assuming the willingness to do so. And the sexually repressed who favor sexual ignorance are even less qualified.

Parents need to tell kids about sex but not ask them in the 3rd grade if they are masturbating. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:07 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

If you are "so much better educated" and knew how to " construct a complete sentence" you wouldn't use the computer jargon "LOL". See how ridiculous that sounds? Hm. Reminds me of someone else grasping for a valid point.....

Please. If you are so much better educated, show it. You act like a teenager who can't find a good enough argument so they just bait and insult the person they are debating.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:08 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
ehBeth, do you think this survey should have asked the questions it did of 1st, 3rd and 5th graders? If so, will you (or did you) sit your children down at that age and ask them these questions?

5th grade is already too late, so definitely yes for 3rd grade. Would have to mull a bit about 1st grade.

Children in 1st grade should have already had some education about these matters, somewhere, so I'd lean toward yes.

And, yes, I've talked to 4, 5 and 6 year olds about these things.
<not biologically mine, but I was involved in their upbringing>

~~~~

I agree with DrewDad that this is, in part, a public health issue.

~~~~

Home-schooling is another, very different, concern which has been discussed at some length on these boards.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:10 pm
Used to be that kids grew up on farms and knew all about the birds and the bees.

Now they think milk comes from the grocery store.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
The only person (s) who should be asking a kid about touching themselves and their private parts is a parent or guardian. Not the school system. Parents do need a more active role in talking to their kids. They do need to being sex ed early. I think this was out of line though. Mom or dad stating the facts of life and telling a child when it is and when it is not acceptable to touch yourself is one thing. Strangers asking your kids is another. Or worse, the kids teacher who they have to see every day. You think those kids would answer honestly if they understood the questions?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Used to be that kids grew up on farms and knew all about the birds and the bees.

Now they think milk comes from the grocery store.

It doesn't? Shocked

So much for voting you in for Prez.....I'll bet next you're going to tell me that Santa is a fictional character....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:16 pm
The whole point of a survey is to gather information. I have no problem with such a survey in and of itself.

I do think the folks running the survey have an ethical obligation to fully disclose the content and to get parental consent for minors to participate.

The weakness of the survey is that it requires parental consent. You will get a self-selected group, and the results will be skewed.

A survey of adults, with demographic information gathered, would be much more scientific, but then one runs the risk of memory failures.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:18 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I'll bet next you're going to tell me that Santa is a fictional character....

He was real, alright. But his fate was that of all flesh....

http://static.flickr.com/1/449483_21b0b56836.jpg
0 Replies