The real reason for Anti-americanism: Israel.

frolic

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:06 am
At least five Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli air raid on Gaza City, reports say.

The militant group Hamas said a senior member of its military wing Saed Arabeed and his assistant died in the bombing.

Israeli security sources said Mr Arabeed was responsible for raids against Israelis over the past decade and was the target of the attack.

This is the first Israeli air strike in the Gaza Strip since the beginning of the war in Iraq.

Witnesses say Israeli aircraft fired missiles in an apparent attack on a car.

There were scenes of pandemonium as ambulances rushed casualties to hospital.

Two of the other dead were Hamas militants, Ashraf al-Halabi and Imad Nassar, according to reports.

The remaining dead and wounded were civilians, said doctors, including children hit by shrapnel from the second missile, which exploded after people had run into the street to see what had happened.

Correspondents say the area of the raid, the Zeitoun neighbourhood in the eastern part of the city, is known as a stronghold of the Islamic militant group, Hamas.

Since the Palestinian uprising began 30 months ago, Hamas has claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks against Israelis, including many suicide bombings.

Residents said two Israeli F-16 planes flew low over the city just before the air strike. A few minutes later, helicopter gunships went into action.

The Israeli warplanes appeared to be targeting a car, but their first missile missed the target, witnesses said.

Some reports say bystanders and a house were hit in the raid.

A month ago, one of the group's founders, Ibrahim al-Maqadma, was killed in a similar attack.

Israel has in the past defended its policy of targeting suspected militants in Gaza and the West Bank.

Although Tuesday's was the first strike since the invasion of Iraq, Israeli forces have continued to conduct raids on the Palestinian territories, destroying buildings and arresting suspected militants.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,526 • Replies: 116
No top replies

frolic

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:10 am
This shows the US is not interested in a solution over the Israel/Palestine conflict.

Palestinian villagers in the al-Khalil region have reported seeing American soldiers training for urban warfare in the hilly areas west of the city.

Eyewitnesses said soldiers wearing US army uniforms were seen practicing parachuting from black helicopters near the town of Dura, 12 km south west of al-Khalil.

Earlier, Palestinian sources in the northern part of the West Bank reported citing American soldiers not far from the Jenin Refugee camp, the site of the bloody Israeli rampage last year which resulted in the death and mutilation of many Palestinian civilians and the destruction of hundreds of homes.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:43 am
From The independent:

Women and children were among almost 50 injured people who turned up at Gaza's al-Shifa hospital.

Eyewitnesses said the Israeli aircraft that attacked Saad al-Arabeed, an aide to the leader of Hamas's armed wing, fired a second time into a crowd of civilians who had rushed to the scene where Arabeed's wrecked Subaru car was still smouldering

Isn't that against the rules of engagement? Where is the US reaction?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:54 pm
Book mark
0 Replies

mozkill

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 05:22 pm
if you read any book about the Israel/Palestine conflict, it is obvious that the rich pushed out the poor and Zionism prevails. I completely support the US war against Iraq and I even joined a pro-war rally but the US should NOT support Israel, especially only for the reason of non-Americans having a "homeland" . We should focus on "our own homeland".

Let the 3rd world hold on the the religious values because its the only thing of value that they have. Also, while they hold on to religion they will never ever become a superpower because religion holds back progressive societies... Let them remain in the 3rd world, let them keep their religion, let them have their homeland in a useless desert.

Just dont let them come over here and hurt Americans. This must stop.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 08:16 pm
I look forward to seeing more racial and religious profiling in this thread.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:09 pm
cavfancier,

Given the subject that is a very ironic post. What with one of the nations most inclined to racially profile being discussed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:13 pm
Israel? or the US?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:14 pm
Isreal. I understand why (security concerns + effectiveness of the practice in their case) but found cav's post ironic.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:22 pm
'S what I thought. Just checking.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:25 pm
dlowan wrote:
Israel? or the US?

You can't be serious.

One would assume, that this politically correctness of not "Racially Profiling" is an American aberration. The mere mention of Israel being one of the most prolific nations to practice this profiling is irresponsible. They all do it!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:03 pm
ferrous wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Israel? or the US?

You can't be serious!

Serious?

Yep.

American?

Nope.

I have no idea what your country's racial profiling practices are, Ferrous.

That is why I asked.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:16 pm
I am not really addressing anyone here.
But, I have a very serious concern, and I wanted to add it here.

I am gravely concerned about growing anti-Semitism across the globe. I have followed stories in France, Britain and one in the San Francisco area. Violent hate crimes against Jews are rising astronomically.

From 2001 to 2002, violent hate crimes against Jews in France rose 400%. I don't have the links tonight and it is getting late, but my fears about this seem to be coming to pass. I shared this with a European board, and they wouldn't accept it. Yet, they spew such venomous hatred against Jews that we would practically be arrested for it here. Anti-Semitism is very serious and growing. We couldn't even list Israel as a coalition member...

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would hate Jews. Or any other group.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:22 pm
It's been a long day, and I didn't feel up to answering this tonight. Thanks, Sofia.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:30 pm
>small, sad smile<
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:49 pm
Animosity directed at several demographic groups is on the rise. The rifts need to be addresed.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 01:59 am
Sofia wrote:
I am not really addressing anyone here.
But, I have a very serious concern, and I wanted to add it here.

I am gravely concerned about growing anti-Semitism across the globe. I have followed stories in France, Britain and one in the San Francisco area. Violent hate crimes against Jews are rising astronomically.

From 2001 to 2002, violent hate crimes against Jews in France rose 400%. I don't have the links tonight and it is getting late, but my fears about this seem to be coming to pass. I shared this with a European board, and they wouldn't accept it. Yet, they spew such venomous hatred against Jews that we would practically be arrested for it here. Anti-Semitism is very serious and growing. We couldn't even list Israel as a coalition member...

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would hate Jews. Or any other group.

Two things.

There live a lot of Arabs in France, but also in the rest of Europe. They see on TV how their brothers and sisters on the West bank and the Gaza Strip are slaughtered. Of course its not the right reaction to attack jews just like it was not the right reaction to attack Arabs in the US after 9-11.

Secondly. The Jews often call in anti-Semitism when there is no sign of it. When someone gets beaten up its just violence. When a jew gets beaten up its anti-Semitism. No all violence against Jews is anti-Semitism. Just like not all violence against Women is anti-feminism.

IMHO, they use the label "anti-Semitism" to counter all criticism. If you are against the violence used by Israel some people would call you an anti-Semitist.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:02 am
http://a1692.g.akamai.net/f/1692/2042/1d/medias.lemonde.fr/medias/image_article/03041001_irak1+mapl.jpg

From Le monde:

Meanwhile
115 palestinians killed in the last month.

"How stupid to get yourself killed during the war in Iraq"
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:29 am
It is pretty obvious that love and hatred towards various peoples are generated by the actions and policies of those recognised to be their leaders.

Thus, America under Clinton was liked and respected throughout the world. Under Bush, now replaced by much fear and hatred.

Similarly, never-ending mass-murder and illegal colonisation by the Sharon Government are unlikely to enhance Jewish popularity anywhere, except among the colonists and within the Bush Administration..
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:52 am
Craven, my comment was ironic, I dislike racial/religious profiling of any kind, and I also agree with Sofia....I am also bowing out of this thread...I want no part of it. Cheers, and peace to all.
0 Replies