Swimpy

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 12:46 pm
Hoping that no news is good news.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 01:57 pm
She's fine... she had a couple of episodes of really bad pain last night but has been doing much better today. Not a lot of appetite but having a little of this, a little of that. (Among things I never thought I'd say: "Sweetie, you need to finish your pudding" and "are you SURE you don't want more ice cream?") Matzo balls started strong ("they're magic!") but then her tummy felt a little upset and she didn't come back to them.

Overall OK, just requiring a lot of monitoring as we try to strike the balance between getting enough fluids, getting enough nutrition to keep her energy up, keeping her from barfing, and managing pain. (For example, we have extra-strong pain medication which can cause nausea as a side effect and which she thinks tastes TERRIBLE. So when we were faced with the really bad pain, we had to weigh pain relief against the very real possibility of causing her to vomit if we forced the issue and gave her the pain meds against her wishes. We ended up going with standard-issue pain meds [suppository form] and a bag of frozen corn wrapped in a towel and put on her neck -- that worked OK, but we face the decision again tonight. The med isn't available as a suppository, we asked at the hospital. She's doing great, pain-wise, right now, so I'm hoping tonight will be better... we'll see.)

More later....!
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 02:35 pm
@sozobe,
Poor sozlet. Glad she's hanging in there.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 02:40 pm
Yes, poor baby. (And poor mom and dad.)

I hope the worst is over.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 02:56 pm
@sozobe,
Hope the pain settles soon.

Love to all the obe family!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 03:15 pm
Being on the sick list is no fun. Hopefully things will improve soon.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 03:16 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for the update, Soz. I hope the worst is past, as well. If the suppositories work, go for it. The other med won't do her any good if she can't keep it down.

Here's hoping that things settle down soon. (Remembering the good old days when they kept them in the hospital longer.)
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 04:33 pm
@Swimpy,
Thanks all... yeah, I have to say that on the balance I'm happy we stayed at the hospital that first night. I think that if we'd squeaked by -- at one point it looked very likely that we'd go home, but then she barfed again -- it would've been a pretty scary night. And we may well have just ended up back at the ER.

As it was I actually got some sleep -- on the couch, facing her, with my glasses on, so I could just open my eyes and check on her and then go back to sleep. And since she had IV fluids, we didn't have to obsess about getting fluid into her orally.

She just wrote this email to a friend (who had asked why she had surgery), copying and pasting some of it for a first-person account:

sozlet wrote:
I am doing fine! Thanks for asking!

Actually, you have two questions! Anyway, I had surgery because my right eardrum was retracting. That's when it curves back.
It was actually touching the bone! And the doctor sorta decided to throw in the rest. Well, actually (Man, I've gotta stop saying that!)
my tonsils, adinoids and turbinates were giant! The doctor said my tonsils were as big as tater-tots!

Still don't have time for the full account, but that retraction thing turned out to be Really Bad. The eardrum was touching all of the bones (it usually just touches the first one, which then gets the process going when the eardrum vibrates). If left like that, the eardrum actually grows around the bones. The ENT had to peel the eardrum off the bones, which he did, but the eardrum is now all stretched-out and floppy and the danger is that it might touch them again. It's a relatively slow process so getting it checked every month or so will be OK, but we will have to keep an eye on things until the eardrum has healed/ firmed up again. If touching (and sticking) does happen again, then we'd have to deal with that (cross that bridge when we come to it, focusing on getting her healed first).

With all of that you'd think her hearing in that ear would be horrible, and it's not, though I don't quite understand why.

Lots more new info about Eustachian tubes, pressure, swelling, etc., but need to go again...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 05:20 pm
@sozobe,
Sozlet is a good writer already, despite the actuallys. I still use actually, as well as really, even though I go along thinking I've extirpated them from my typing vocabulary. My fingers are faster than my brain.

Thanks for the delightful update.
jespah

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Good to read straight from the verra stoic patient herself. Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 06:03 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for the update! Looks like she's on her way to recovery - quit a resilient little girl, and so brave. You must be exhausted too and I hope you get some
sleep during the night. The stress level is always at its maximum when a kid
is sick and with surgery and post-op care, the stress never subsides. Much
rest to all of you!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:11 am
The patient sounds as though she's feeling a lot better. Love the first person account.

Healing vibes are coming at y'all from Houston!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 06:36 pm
Thanks!

Just another check-in -- I know I always worry about A2K'ers (or A2K'ers' kids) in these situations. She seems to be doing better. Last night was good. We're easing up on the pain meds, and she rates her pain consistently at 1.5/2 (it was around 3/4 the first couple of days, with meds, and 8/9 during her really bad episode).

Appetite still sucks royally and is still what takes the most effort. She still doesn't like to drink anything, so there's still a lot of cajoling and attempts at enticing. We figured out that an old bottle of hers delivers a steady trickle of water if she kinda gnaws at it -- she seems to like that better than sips + swallows. I rigged up a little gerbil dealie for her so she could do things with her hands while it trickled (it involved string, a safety pin, and a baseball hat), that didn't last long though. Smile

All the effort is paying off anyway, she's getting enough fluids.

Looking forward to the return of appetite!
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 09:48 pm
@sozobe,
I am glad her pain subsides and you'll see she's starting to eat soon, don't worry, sozobe. Get her some applesauce from the fridge, she basically can swallow that and it's cold and soothing. Feel better sozlet!
http://picture-book.com/files/userimages/115u/mom-girl.jpg
Swimpy

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 05:48 am
@sozobe,
Sozlet, I am so impressed by the way you dealt with your surgery and how quickly you are recovering. I hope that by the weekend you get your appetite back.

Soz, I hope you get some rest. Have happy Mothers Day!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:49 am
@sozobe,
Oh! Just caught up on it all.

The tonsils were bad enough (I was in my late teens - I remember the agony of swallowing) never mind the other procedures.

Sozlet sounds like a trooper!

(So do you)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:42 am
@sozobe,
Thanks for the updates!

Does she like popsicles or ice chips? Just another way to get her a steady trickle. She's such a trooper.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 01:36 pm
@CalamityJane,
Aw, what a sweet picture.

Except for some pain this morning (due to dryness after a long night's sleep, I think), things are about the same. She's doing well but it's a constant struggle to get enough fluids + nutrition in her.

She's spooning some jello into herself, for once, so I'll grab the moment to try to get some details down about the surgery, etc.

She had an amazing attitude throughout. Really was the calmest of the three of us.

We were supposed to get there at 1 PM on Monday and the surgery was supposed to start at 3 PM, so I was expecting a lot of waiting around. It all went amazingly fast. We did some intake stuff, (forms, etc.), then were whisked to a room where sozlet was told to put on hospital clothes and lay on a hospital bed. Shortly after that, our ENT showed up for questions. Shortly after that, the anesthesiologist showed up for questions + demos. (I really liked that -- the anesthesiologist said that the gas they use works great but "smells like a wet dog," and offered a choice of "flavors." She chose root beer, and they brought her a mask with some of the root-beer-scented gel/ syrup/ whatever on it, and she was able to play with that and get used to it before the real thing.)

The nurse was buzzing around getting her vitals (temp, blood pressure, etc.) and then the ENT came back for questions part 2. (We had a lot of questions of course and he'd had to go somewhere before we'd finished in the first session.) Then he said he was ready to operate. (This was a bit before 3.) Then someone else came and wheeled her out of the room.

I'd had the impression -- not sure where from -- that I'd sit with her until the anesthesia took effect, and then go once she was asleep. But we reached a crossroads in the hallway and the person wheeling sozlet pointed out where we should wait... and I was like, wait, we're leaving now? We need to say goodbye now? We did. That was hard, though sozlet remained calm throughout. Another thing I liked was that they let the kids have their stuffed animals if they want, so faithful Beary stayed with her throughout. I gave him a stern talking-to about taking good care of her.

Then the worst part, pretty much -- the waiting room. I was pretty verklempt what with the abrupt goodbye and watching the little top of her head recede down the long hallway in a hospital bed, and the first thing my eyes lit upon was a little yellow fish in a big tank that was apparently ailing. It just lay there on some coral as all the other fish swam around. I kept willing the fish to swim, to look lively, and it wouldn't.

My attention was drawn by something else and when I looked back, I saw a dead fish on the bottom of the tank, belly to me, being jerked around and apparently eaten by another fish. I looked up at where the yellow fish had been -- nothing. Oh no! Then the cannibal-fish was revealed -- it was the yellow fish that was aggressively eating the dead fish! (Which was white or something.) It was the eatER, not the eatEE. In my overstressed mind, that meant that sozlet was going to be fine, and I calmed down a bit.

About 30 minutes into the surgery, while E.G. was saying something to me, I got this bad feeling and said "wait...." It was such a strong feeling that I went ahead and told him that I was really worried about her right eardrum.

So when the doctor came out about 20 minutes later, and didn't look totally happy, and said "there was a bit of a problem with her right eardrum," my heart leapt into my throat.

It seems like it's very possible it will all be OK though.

What had happened is that her eardrum had been pulled inward by negative pressure. A normal eardrum looks like this:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/middle_ear.gif

Her eardrum looked something like this:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/eardrum.jpg

(The blue lines I added.)

That's not quite right but gives an idea.

The doctor had to go in and peel the eardrum off of the bones. If all goes well, the eardrum heals and tightens up and goes back to its usual position, and that's that. What we need to watch for is the loose, floppy, stretched-out eardrum to touch those bones again. If it does, intervention would be necessary again.

The tonsils and adenoids and turbinate cautery all went fine. As sozlet said in what I posted, her tonsils and adenoids were really big, as we'd expected.

The tonsils are just done. They're gone, and can't grow back.

The adenoids and turbinates were reduced, but might grow back. The ENT said that sozlet is just highly sensitive/ reactive, and it's hard to know what causes it and whether the cause is controllable or not. He recommended further allergy testing. (She's been tested for about 60 allergens, and no allergies were found.)

The ENT's overall take was -- we were right to wait and see as long as we did, and we were right to intervene when we did. The chances of everything going smoothly from here are good.

Now, one of the big things I learned was that the Eustachian tubes aren't really tubes. If there is negative pressure in the eardrum, it's not necessarily because of fluid or a blockage (such as enlarged adenoids) per se. Two things are at work:

1.) The Eustachian tubes are not open as a default. They open and close. If there is a lot of swelling of the sinuses and related membranes, even when they are given the message to open, they just can't, due to swelling behind them.

2.) The body likes oxygen. If there is pocket of gas in the body (such as in the "middle ear space" in the first picture, the oxygen will be absorbed. That reduces the total volume, and helps create the vacuum if there is no way to stabilize pressure. (This is why tubes are important.)

I think I'll pause here and then resume when I saw her post-op. (I know this isn't terribly interesting, I'm doing my usual thing of getting things down because it often proves useful in the future, and this seems to be the best way for me to record things...)
sozobe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 02:02 pm
@sozobe,
God, those are huge photos. Oh well.

So after a while we were ushered into an empty room to wait for sozlet to show up. In the pre-op conversations with the doctors, we'd emphasized her tendency towards nausea, and were reassured that they'd take every precaution (anti-nausea drugs, etc.) but also warned that sometimes it just couldn't be avoided, and that if she vomited after surgery, that wouldn't be the end of the world.

She finally showed up... so great to see her. She was pretty lucid and pretty chipper -- thumbs-up, etc. There was blood coming out of her nose (not a lot) but otherwise she looked more normal than I expected. She was shaky and tired, kept wanting to go back to sleep.

Each time she woke up she'd feel nauseous again. We were told that she'd have to get a fair amount of fluids orally before they'd remove the IV and send her home. That wasn't happening. Every time she had some ice chips, she wouldn't feel so good.

Before long, she barfed, and it was scary -- dark brown. The nurse said "that's good!" and said that there was no apparent fresh blood, and that it was the old blood from the surgery that had gotten in her stomach, and that makes people nauseous and pretty much had to come out.

Gack.

We hoped that would be that, but about an hour later it happened again.

At that point, they started readying a room for us.

We went upstairs to the room and sozlet immediately fell in love with the hospital bed. Up, down. Up, down. This perked her up some. The nurse suggested Sprite -- didn't work. More vomiting (after she tried to get up to pee).

Eventually things settled down a bit. The next hurdle was peeing -- she had to do it before 4 AM or they'd do a catheter. She was fading in and out, sleeping and then waking up, and still had a very wobbly tummy. Managed to get up and pee without vomiting at about 2 AM. Never vomited again (knock on wood anyway).

We left the hospital at about 1:30 PM the next day (Tuesday). I'd eaten at 12-hour intervals -- noon, midnight, noon. Heh.

Tuesday night, at home, she was reading on her tummy, with her book on a pillow and her neck craned up a bit. Then she turned to E.G., who was hanging out with her, and said "my throat hurts, dad..." and then started about 45 minutes of distraught crying as she dealt with some really bad pain. We still aren't sure what exactly brought it on or why then. Pain medication, and a bag of frozen corn wrapped in a dishtowel on her neck helped, and she eventually fell asleep. She woke up just before her next pain med dose (every 4 hours) in pain again; we went right to the frozen corn, and that plus pain meds got her back to sleep within about 20 minutes. At her 4 AM dosing, she slept through it (suppository), and at 8 AM, she was awake and happy.

Since then, main thing has just been getting enough nutrition and fluids into her. She's having some butternut squash soup now, that's good (she usually eschews soups). Also good just that she had jello and soup herself as I typed -- I've been having to do that for her to get it in her.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 09:51 pm
Whew! What an ordeal. I'm so glad that sozlet's feeling better.
0 Replies