five counts including lying and obstruction of justice
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,501 • Replies: 350
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:06 am
Well, that's a start. Let's not forget: The Watergate indictments started small, too...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:14 am
Continuing investigations on the rest of them.

A sad day for America, really; but there are worse to come...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:29 am
And now, it appears, Scooter has resigned...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 12:05 pm
BBB
Dys, here are the detail summary and text of the indictment

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56457&start=280

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 12:15 pm
depressing news on a grey day
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:40 pm
Wow. This sounds like a pretty big deal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:45 pm
I was almost hoping that it would pass because so much else is in the tank that we could implode from the overflow.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:46 pm
Wow, wouldnt you want to know what was said in this particular meeting ...!

Quote:
An attorney for Rove, Robert Luskin, said in a statement this morning, "The Special Counsel has advised Mr. Rove that he has made no decision about whether or not to bring charges and that Mr. Rove's status has not changed. Mr. Rove will continue to cooperate fully with the Special Counsel's efforts to complete the investigation [..]."

Rove provided new information to Fitzgerald during eleventh-hour negotiations that "gave Fitzgerald pause" about charging Bush's senior strategist, said a source close to Rove. "The prosecutor has to resolve those issues before he decides what to do."
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:48 pm
Maybe Joe Wilson will be indicted.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:16 pm
Dream on, bunny...
0 Replies

John Drury

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:25 pm
Scooter Libby was clearly caught in a pack of lies
0 Replies

John Drury

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:28 pm
I know Republicans have made a concerted effort to change the conversation by blaming Joe Wilson

But give me a break...Patrick Fitzgerald seemed like a very fair character and Scooter Libby clearly lied twice

Why can't they just face facts Libby broke the law and hurt our national security
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:49 pm
The indictment clearly shows that the White House in the person of Libby and Official A (Rove) clearly set out to discredit Wilson by telling reporters about his wife's role in sending him and her job at the CIA.

The facts laid out in the indictment.

Libby was the first person that told reporters. Reporters did not tell him.
Libby knew about Plame working at the CIA before he talked to reporters.
Libby confirmed to reporters that Plame worked for the CIA.
Libby had conversations with several other WH officials about how to talk to the media about Plame.
Dick Cheney was the person that informed Libby about Plame working at CIA.

It appears the ony thing preventing Libby from being charged with divulging the information is the question of whether Libby knew that Plame was a covert agent.

I think the 5th count against Libby gives some idea of why Rove wasn't charged at this time. Libby was asked questions by the grand jury about the veracity of his earlier statements and he continued to declare that they were true. If Rove changed his testimony in his final trip to the grand jury it may have put a hold on charging him with obstruction and perjury while the investigation proceeds.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 04:34 pm
I don't think there will be any more charges, if there were they would have been brought today IMO.

After two years....Fitz should have all he needed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 04:36 pm
I think it also matters whether Plame WAS a covert agent according to the "within five years..." definition. Fitzgerald still doesn't seem to have answered that one, dodged the question in the press conference.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 04:43 pm
Fitz used the term 'classified', he never used 'covert'.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 04:55 pm
soz, the issue about her covert status within the previous 5 years statute is a smokescreen. Plame had what , in the business , are called "covert company". Even if she were no longer in the window of time, her contacts in country were immediately compromized by her outing. Anybody working in govt with above a certain status clearance is given instructions on that fact. Anybody that she had dealt with that could have been covert company could face life threatening situations. I have no pity for the boys that did this. Including Novak because he knows the rules also.
I just wish that itd blow over so that the agencies, CIA and DIA can get their people to cover and indoors.
Its a sad situation when politics of "crisis management and manipulation for policy sake is what weve sunk to.

Our country is in a full meltdown of real morals. Think about it. Lives being gambled like table stakes just to "teach a lesson" to one who failed to concur with the administrations "fixed intelligence".
What could be mopre immoral than that .

This is the same administration team that took down and humbled John McCain for things that we should be buying him drinks for.

How high up does it go. Now that its got legs, I suppose we should ask someone to do a full termite inspection.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
I finally got to hear Fitzgerald, instead of just reading the text.
Wow.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 05:09 pm
ebeth, what a thrill to see a government official performing his tasks with integrity. I wish he would go into politics. I think we could trust him to do right by the country and not just for himself and his cronies.
0 Replies