When I get you

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:37 am
I will seek and find you .

I shall take you to bed and have my way with you

I will make you ache, shake & sweat until you moan & groan.

I will make you beg for mercy, beg for me to stop.

I will exhaust you to the point that you will be relieved when I'm finished with you.
And, when I am finished, you will be weak for days.

All my love,
The Flu

Now, get your mind out of the gutter and go get your flu shot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,784 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:43 am
that's really cute....

already got mine a couple of weeks ago, I am now immune (I hope)
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:43 am
My mom told me not to get one.. because I don't need one at my age... is that true??
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:48 am
And here I was hoping that c.i. was finally propositioning me.....

<sigh>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:59 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:59 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
My mom told me not to get one.. because I don't need one at my age... is that true??

why does your mom think you can't get the flu and any age?

if she's thinking you'll build up some kind of immunity, you won't. every year the strain of flu is different, since the genes will have mutated, even a little make a new shot advisable.

Getting a flu shot does not give you the flu. The virus in the shot is not alive.

Some years when I get my shot, I'll notice I'm a little tired that night, or my heart's beating a little faster, that's normal
This year, like others, I felt no different.

what exactly was her reason beyond your age?

If you want to risk being laid up for over a week, wishing you would die, and then feel like crap and drag yourself around for the next three weeks, don't bother with getting a shot.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:02 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:

why does your mom think you can't get the flu and any age?

if she's thinking you'll build up some kind of immunity, you won't. every year the strain of flu is different, since the genes will have mutated, even a little make a new shot advisable.

Getting a flu shot does not give you the flu. The virus in the shot is not alive.

Some years when I get my shot, I'll notice I'm a little tired that night, or my heart's beating a little faster, that's normal
This year, like others, I felt no different.

what exactly was her reason beyond your age?

If you want to risk being laid up for over a week, wishing you would die, and then feel like crap and drag yourself around for the next three weeks, don't bother with getting a shot.

She just said I am young and don't need to get it until I am older.. my body can't fight it at my age... I was thinking about getting it but she convinced me otherwise
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:18 pm
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

so basically she convinced you by telling you something foolish.

Get a flu shot, or you'll have a thread in the next few months seeking sympathy about how horrible you feel and how you can't get to work.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:46 pm
I don't need to get one. I have an over active immune system with Graves so I have a natural vaccination now. Not that it's really worth it in any way but......

Contrary to popular belief, the flu shot doesn't always work and doesn't always work at all in some people. You might get the shot and get sicker than you'd have gotten without it. You need to weigh your options. For someone who is chronically ill, the flu shot is almost a guaranteed yes because an immune system that is down can make you susceptible to a very bad bug. However, if you are a normally healthy person who doesn't get sick often, I think you can probably get away without one. I've never had a flu shot and I have always been on the list of "should be getting" (asthma, chronic illness).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:56 pm
i just spit my juice...
Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
I got the flu as a young man, so I'm not sure what you mean by "young." I had the flu twice in my life; that's enough to get immunized for it.

I've been getting the flu shot every year for many years, and have been free from it. Whether it helps some and not others is a gamble I'm unwilling to take.

Go to the CDC link and look for "flu." I'm sure they have complete information on who should and should not get the flu shot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:30 pm
The yearly vaccines are derived to respond specifically to the expected flu virus antigens of the coming season.
Having autoantibodies to one of your body parts doesn't mean you will have antibodies to this year's virus.

I've had the flu several times in my life and probably have some partial immunity re antigen components my body has run across before and therefore recognizes, but not this year's proteins.

This is why there is so much concern re bird flu potentially morphing to a virus contagious between humans (the present bird flu virus isn't) as no one has antibodies (presumably) to any of that virus' antigen components (as I understand it).

When vaccines are not produced for every member of a population, which they generally aren't, they are advised for the immune compromised folks, such as those with autoimmune deficiency syndrome, people going through chemotherapy, the older population in general, and those who have lung conditions such as asthma.

Anyway, yes, look at the cdc website.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:41 pm
Chai tea, the flu shot affects your heart rate? I've never heard of that, except as an allergic reaction.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:47 pm
If there were a shortage of vaccinations, then people not in the "at risk" categories would be advised not to get one.

When there is plenty of vaccine, then you help protect everyone around you by getting vaccinated. You reduce the chances of being a vector for infection.

So there are both personal and social benefits to getting a flu shot.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:51 pm
Funny,
I have never in my life had a flu shot

I have also never HAD the flu

i wonder, with out the shot, what my chances are of staying away from the flu?
So far, no problem..
eh.. who knows.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:51 pm
ossobuco wrote:
The yearly vaccines are derived to respond specifically to the expected flu virus antigens of the coming season.

This I didn't know.

But Osso, in my case, my body is hyper immune to everything. I haven't been sick (cold or otherwise) except maybe once in the last year and I can't be sure I even had a cold since my particular disease mimicks so many other sicknesses (colds, flu). Now soon, my wbc count will go down to normal and I will become "regular" again and probably should get a shot. But I am stubborn that way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:01 pm
to everything? I thought it was to your thyroid.
You aren't immune to your own dna, for example. Or to insulin or intrinsic factor. Your immune complexes don't get stuck in your kidneys...

You have, possibly, an increase in gamma globulin, but not specific to the next crop of viral antigen. Some of the beauty - the elegance, really - of immunologic processes are their specificity, but that is also cause of some of the misery, when the specificity is directed to a body component.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:
to everything? I thought it was to your thyroid.
You aren't immune to your own dna, for example. Or to insulin or intrinsic factor. Your immune complexes don't get stuck in your kidneys...

No, I am not, which is why my body keeps attacking my thyroid. It doesn't know any better and thinks it's doing something bad. My wbc count was so high, there wasn't even a number on my lab. I have an autoimmune disease, not deficiency.

I CAN still catch stuff. It isn't like I am the bionic woman or anything, but because my body is overwhelmed with wbcs and antibodies, it's harder for something to get in and breed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Your immune complexes don't get stuck in your kidneys...

What do you mean?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
I was listing just a few things that the body can form antibodies against in their own bodies, in response to your saying you are hyper immune to everything.
0 Replies