When I get you

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I was listing just a few things that the body can form antibodies against in their own bodies, in response to your saying you are hyper immune to everything.

Right but what does that mean? I am not sure what immune complexes are.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
Antigen-antibody complexes; an antibody is a protein that has a specific site that attaches to a complementary site on an antigen, then they are a combo. The body usually clears these. In a couple of diseases, in particular lupus, sometimes there are so many for so long that they cause kidney problems. I didn't mean to scare you, I don't think that's an element of your syndrome -
I was trying to reassure you that you aren't autoimmune to everything.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:36 pm
Synonymph wrote:
Chai tea, the flu shot affects your heart rate? I've never heard of that, except as an allergic reaction.

Oh no, it's not like I'm in tachycardia or anything, just slightly elevated for a few hours, if at all.

That's a typical symptom I get if I'm coming down with something anyway.

Actually, my heart health is excellent, very strong.

Don't think it's an allergic reaction, if it is, doesn't last long.

Like Osso said though, if you've had the flu once or God forbid twice, you would accept that side effect.

BTW Bella, I never heard of getting a worse case of the flu after getting a flu shot, what causes that?

The only thing I can think is that there is always a chance that the serum that was prepared for this year's flu is not exactly the one that presents itself, or that therey might be 2 strains making the round that year.
Of course there's never a guarantee you won't get the flu anyway, but your odds are Greatly reduced.

I don't know, for me it just seems such an easy thing to do to protect yourself, with little risk involved.

For those who have never had the flu, it is NOT like a bad cold.....

You are completely incapacitated and literally can't lift a hand, there is a time during fighting it that if there wasn't someone to help you, you couldn't even get yourself a glass of water, and you're so dehydrated anyway.....I've had it twice, once in my late teens and once in my 30's. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:44 pm
Someone I know got VERY sick after having the flu shot. I don't know why. Maybe they got it after having been infected?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:50 pm
Hmmmm, well, also, when you get a shot, you don't develop the antibodies for a few weeks, I forget how long? Osso?

It's not like instant immunity.

Or, it's not like you can go around licking other people hands or anything. ewwwww.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:55 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

Or, it's not like you can go around licking other people hands or anything. ewwwww.

Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:56 pm
There are folks that are allergic to the shots. Read the warnings; I think it especially mentions people allergic to feathers.

Fifty years, and they're still using chicken eggs to grow the viruses....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:01 pm
Chai Tea, I think it's some time between one and two weeks when the immunity kicks in after the shot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:02 pm
Here's the CDC link on the flu. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:03 pm
DrewDad wrote:
There are folks that are allergic to the shots. Read the warnings; I think it especially mentions people allergic to feathers.

Fifty years, and they're still using chicken eggs to grow the viruses....

Yah, you'd think they'd be growing them in frapachinnos by now. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:05 pm
Some get flu like symptoms - I've never had that. I also have never heard of a worse flu after the shot..

My last memorable flu was sometime in the late eighties or early nineties - I remember crying in the grocery store, it was so hard to pick up the cereal box (or whatever). Well, not sobbing, but tears running down my face. <schniff>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:08 pm
I would bet DD is right in saying it was a reaction. It was pretty ugly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
makes sense
0 Replies