Atheists... Your life is pointless

John Creasy

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:30 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

My Comment: Once the body dies, the brain ceases to function. All the electrical and chemical reactions of the brain stops - dead. Gone forever. Kaput, sayonara, adios,, bye-bye, lifeless, perished, gone, bellyup, stone cold, out of order...

So how do you explain people that have been pronounced dead with no brain activity and yet are brought back to life and remember things that happened while they were dead?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:32 pm
I know what I'd call it but I'm afraid C.I. wouldn't like it one bit.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:34 pm
"...remember things while they were dead..." ROFLMAO
0 Replies

John Creasy

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:34 pm
Re: Atheists... Your life is pointless
Nietzsche wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
I've always wondered why people that are so adamant about the non-existence of God, debate morals and what is right and wrong.

The concept of God and the concept of morality are ultimately independent, though they're often closely associated.

Quote:
If there is no God and this world is truly just a cosmic fluke, than your life and everything that happens in it are of no consequence whatsoever.

Would depend on how one defines "consequence." Your implication is that only consequences that determine one's fate after death are worth considering. There are simply those who do not feel the same.

Quote:
Why not just do whatever you want and not care about others.

The connection you make between these two concepts is confusing. You imply one cannot both do what they want and care about others.

Quote:
Love of others is just some accidental emotion that means nothing. So do whatever you want. Your life, your children's life, and your children's children's life will all be over soon and nothing will be remembered.

If this is the conclusion you draw when considering life without God, that's perfectly fine; yet understand it's not the conclusion others may draw.

P.S. Would it be rude of me to point out these questions are really short-sighted and immature?

Actually you're welcome to point that out. I think you are the first one to reply to me without a knee-jerk, anti-religious attitude. I appreciate that.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:42 pm
Cicerone Imposter Wrote:

Quote:
"...remember things while they were dead..." ROFLMAO

Uh, where did this come from? You have totally lost me here.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/boxed.gif
0 Replies

John Creasy

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:44 pm
Many commentators see near death experiences as an afterlife experience, and some accounts include elements that, according to some theorists, are most simply explained by an out-of-body consciousness. For example, in one account, a woman accurately described a surgical instrument she had not seen previously, as well as a conversation that occurred while she was understood to be clinically dead(Sabom, 1998).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_death_experiences
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:48 pm
Just because "many" see neaer death experience as an afterlife experience doesn't make it true. You prolly didn't know that.

Doctors can simulate near death experience with drugs.

While a human has brain function before, during, or after NDE - and still alive - it's not surprising to be able to describe what went on after the fact.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:50 pm
MANY RELIGIONS including Judaism, dont believe in an afterlife. To require an afterlife as either punishment or reward for lives lived is something that we shall , as a civilization, outgrow.
As was said so well above, religion and morals only are linked because some want it so. Like the clergy, who all have a vested interest for their own well beings while alive.

Im agnostic and my life has incredible meaning to me, the wealth bestowed upon me in the body of my family and my desire to "give something back' are properties not only bestowed upon the religious.
Anyway, to do good works only for the sake of the doggy bisquit at the end of your life I find incredibly selfish and silly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:51 pm
Some people are able to stop and/or slow down their heartbeat. Doesn't mean they are dead.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:55 pm
Farmerman Wrote:

Quote:
Im agnostic and my life has incredible meaning to me, the wealth bestowed upon me in the body of my family and my desire to "give something back' are properties not only bestowed upon the religious.
Anyway, to do good works only for the sake of the doggy bisquit at the end of your life I find incredibly selfish and silly.

I don't do good works for the sake of a doggy biscuit. I do it because I care about people and want to give back what has been given to me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:56 pm
How long can they "stop and/or slow down their heartbeat" before they ARE dead?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:56 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Just because "many" see neaer death experience as an afterlife experience doesn't make it true. You prolly didn't know that.

Doctors can simulate near death experience with drugs.

While a human has brain function before, during, or after NDE - and still alive - it's not surprising to be able to describe what went on after the fact.

No but with so many of them, chances are, some of them are true. If they are clinically brain dead, then what is the explanation? They can't be dreaming if their brain is dead, can they? If somebody describes something that happened while they were dead or even near death that they couldn't have physically seen, what is your explanation?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:59 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Some people are able to stop and/or slow down their heartbeat. Doesn't mean they are dead.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about brain dead people here. No brain activity, no heartbeat, nothing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:01 pm
C.I.,

Though someone may be able to slow their heartbeat down I don't think anyone can stop their brain activity.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:10 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
C.I.,

Though someone may be able to slow their heartbeat down I don't think anyone can stop their brain activity.

Hold on Momma, don't be so quick to assume that ...... oops Embarrassed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:01 pm
No oxygen, no brain.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:05 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
No oxygen, no brain.

C.I.,

Uh, is that the start of an essay or something? What's your point?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:15 pm
Arriving slowly to back up CI, he's right re brain function generally.

I am most amazed that I have some sort of attraction to a thread like this, will have to have a talk with myself.

Slaps own face with fettucine, leaves...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Arriving slowly to back up CI, he's right re brain function generally.

I am most amazed that I have some sort of attraction to a thread like this, will have to have a talk with myself.

Slaps own face with fettucine, leaves...

Don't worry, we are trying to get him some help
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:26 pm
These bible-thumpers can't even read their comic book verses straight, and they're gonna get me help. Oh, lordy! LOL
0 Replies