Atheists... Your life is pointless

MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:01 pm
@igm,
I do have emotions regarding things which impact people's heath.
I will not apologize for that.
Would you like our private messages published or not?
reasoning logic

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:08 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
I do have emotions regarding things which impact people's heath.
I will not apologize for that.
Would you like our private messages published or not?

Just being honest but don't you think that if it was meant to be public it would have been?
reasoning logic

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:23 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
.With the one exception that only a moderator could reserve the right to make a post say zero...because then the person would get the point if they just did nothing but post hate...Or did not quote correctly, Or plagiarized or something...etc...

I would not worry about votes down or up if I were you. The highest rated thread in this forum is this one that I know of. Do you think that we should use this as a guide to truth or moral truths?

http://able2know.org/topic/33349-1
MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
I agree. Igm claimed I took things out of context, then claimed he could demonstrate this to be true. I can demonstrate that to be false, but am hampered in that by a respect for his/her request to not have messages published.
A request I fully complied with until, I informed him/her that I would not continue to do so. The messages published are only those from that date forward.
I am not Igm's priest or therapist, but I will respect his confidentiality until (s)he grants me permission to do otherwise.
I will not abide by his/her implication that I am lying or over-reacting, however.
Igm to put it bluntly "Put up or shut up".
I do not think you an evil man/woman but I will not participate in your sneakiness. It is doing you (and now others) a disservice.
reasoning logic

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:33 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Igm to put it bluntly "Put up or shut up".

This does not seem like the Matt that I know but I am sure that I act in ways that do not seem consistent with my character at times neither. Shocked
Setanta

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:42 pm
@igm,
I asked for nothing, and scorn from you is meaningless. The only motive i see for you to follow me is a spirit of vindictiveness, as when you came into this thread recently, after deciding to "follow" me, and began attacking. It's your nature.
reasoning logic

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The only motive i see for you to follow me is a spirit of vindictiveness, as when you came into this thread recently, after deciding to "follow" me, and began attacking. It's your nature.

You are unable to see our notice of your intellectual ability that you share with me, igm and others? Why cant we challenge your thoughts and not see you as an intellectual as well? Idea Question
Setanta

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
Apparently, you did not read the posts in which IGM attempted to lay into me in this thread.
reasoning logic

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:12 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Apparently, you did not read the posts in which IGM attempted to lay into me in this thread.

I do have a memory that Is worse than some that I consider retarded "not trying to put others down nor myself but if you would like to share I will give you my view point on it " not that it is valid but it would be as I see it.
MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
Well RL I would like to share some information with you regarding my Grandmother (the one who accused me of mental masterbation by philosophizing as a child).
My grandmother was a blockbuster. She would rent or buy homes as a white woman on behalf of "colored" people. She would also hide in closets and audio tape landlords as they would attempt to extort sexual favors from women, to allow them to live in safe neighborhoods. When working as a lobbyist she confronted George Bush (Sr.) and told him he was a turncoat for switching party affiliation to Republican in order to curry favor with the "Christian right".
Don't mistake me for some pollyannaish ivory tower intellectual. I do love everyone, but I do despise un-virtuous behaviors. I take hurting someone's feelings as a near to last resort in a public forum.
Don't think I would do so if I saw another way.
My grandmother by the way died a few years ago, she was by no means a perfect person. I am grateful to have had her in my life while she was here.
MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:32 pm
@MattDavis,
Oh yeah and she was also an "atheist".
reasoning logic

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:52 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Well RL I would like to share some information with you regarding my Grandmother (the one who accused me of mental masterbation by philosophizing as a child).

Do you think she was wrong? I get off on it but not in a sexual way but none the less it is closely related to masturbation "it gets our ego off regardless if we acknowledge it or not. It does not mean we are wrong or right but rather it is exciting to us that we are able to learn.

Quote:

Don't mistake me for some pollyannaish ivory tower intellectual. I do love everyone, but I do despise un-virtuous behaviors.

Do you think that me and you fall into this category? Do you think that the slave master was able to rationalize his behavior?

Quote:
My grandmother by the way died a few years ago, she was by no means a perfect person. I am grateful to have had her in my life while she was here.

I am grateful for all of the good that your grandmother did for our society.
reasoning logic

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:54 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Oh yeah and she was also an "atheist".

My mother is a theist but I bet she led a similar life. You do know of some loving theist don't you?
cicerone imposter

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:59 pm
@MattDavis,
I know your grandmother is now gone, but from what you told us, I rate her as one hellava human being. We need more people like her! BRAVO.

I have to add one more thing; about you. My wife is also a nurse, and she's a very giving person. Now that she's retired, she still volunteers at the hospital and the public library. People who go into the health profession don't get enough praise. My nephew is a doctor in Hawaii, and he volunteers in third world countries to train doctors. We were able to share some time together in January when all my siblings and I stayed at his condo in Honolulu. I'm proud to be his uncle.
FBM

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:49 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

I of course apologize if the term is seen by 'some' as derogatory. It can mean that the vehicle is one that does not lead to Buddhahood but to freedom from Dukkha only.

Since Buddhahood has a greater scope then it - the other vehicle - is seen as a vehicle with a scope that is less than the wish to attain Buddhahood. This is a simple statement of fact not a derogatory term just as being able to free oneself from a prison is not seen as having a scope superior to freeing everyone from the same prison.

The tone of your reply makes my reply easy... there won't be another post to you from me but should you have evidence that the Buddha didn't teach the Mahayana or Vajrayana during his lifetime please let me see it because I say there is evidence that he did... so can you prove otherwise?

Also, if it works follow it, if not don't.. the Buddha's teachings on the Mahayana and Vajrayana work as long as you don't 'cherry pick'.

Do some research on the topic you claim to know. The sangha didn't divide into sects until around the time of the Third Council, centuries after the Buddha died. And the first divisions were neither Theravada (which you errantly term 'Hinayana'), Mahayana nor Vajrayana. During the Buddha's lifetime, the sangha was undivided.

The Buddhism of the Pali Canon was exoteric: "There is nothing, Ananda, with regard to the teachings that the Tathagata holds to the last with the closed fist of a teacher who keeps some things back." (Digha Nikaya, Mahaparinibbana Sutta,32)

Mahayana in general and Vajrayana in particular are all about esoteric knowledge held by a few accomplished masters and only handed down to "worthy" disciples after they have attained a certain level of accomplishment.

Which is antipathetic to the exoteric teachings of the Pali literature.

In order for the Mahayanists to explain away the fact that their sutras didn't appear until centuries after the Buddha's death, they claim it was held in a mystical place called the 'land of the nagas.' Nagas were some sort of spiritual, non-physical being not so unlike Christian angels. Woo.

In order for Mahayanists to explain the contradictions between their new sutras and the radical shift of focus from personal liberation to the bodhissatva ideal, they came up with the story that the Buddha saw that mankind wasn't ready for his ultimate teachings during his lifetime and hid them away in the aforementioned 'land of the nagas'. Indistinguishable from a scam foisted off on unsuspecting gullible masses.

I once mentioned to a Korean Buddhist (Mahayana) that the Buddha was just a man, a very wise man, who died 2,500 years ago. I thought she was going to faint. She very coldly replied, "You definitely belong in that 'other' Buddhism." She had to have her placebo, ie, her belief that the Buddha is some sort of spirit who resided in a heaven re-named Nirvana, and that this Buddha is someone who can/will grant her wishes. Not terribly unlike more mainstream theists.

Study what the scholars have to say, dood. You're showing nothing but playground rhetoric and half-formed opinions so far.
MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:15 pm
@reasoning logic,
RL wrote:
My mother is a theist but I bet she led a similar life. You do know of some loving theist don't you?

Thank you for your compliments to my grandmother, I agree she was a spitfire and at heart a loving person.
---------------------------------------------------
Of course I know many loving theists. This is not my point.
My point is that loving people is not a crime.
Excuses to do otherwise are just that.... Excuses.
Compassion is nothing to apologize for and calling someone out on abuse of others, IS NOT ABUSE.
Calling someone out on abuse helps everyone involved.
"Victim" and "Abuser" alike.
Because what matters is the action, not the person involved.
I hate no one. This does not mean I am apathetic to abuse.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you for your compliments of my grandmother, and the healthcare profession. The healthcare profession is not above criticism. I will fight that fight from the inside. I am of course biased regarding nursing. I obviously find value in the nursing profession.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:27 pm
@reasoning logic,
RL wrote:
Do you think that me and you fall into this category?

No RL I do not think that you and I fall into that category.
My response was to your comment that you were surprised. That this was not the Matt you knew. My response was in keeping with that statement. Very Happy
0 Replies

MattDavis

Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your wife and your nephew have my appreciation. Very Happy
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Sat 23 Mar, 2013 01:17 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I would see that the alligator has many teeth and that it is a killer but do you think I need to believe this or could I see by my observations that it is true?

OK...Now once you can see this and observe it as a fact...Would you then believe it is true? Or would you reject that you believe this is true? And then freely decide if you wanted to do this, or freely not want to do this?

Quote:
I have an understanding about many concepts that man has created and I do not need to believe them but rather be taught them so that I can understand the logical consistencies that they are putting forward.
I think that some of these concepts could be wrong but I do not need to believe it but rather understand it by someone showing me logical inconsistencies about them. Could we all be wrong? sure there may be better working models to come but why should I believe that a working model has no errors?

You do not have to believe that a working model has no errors...However, I then think you have to believe that a better working model will come along for you to see, otherwise, you will have no way to know and differentiate if one or multiple new models are going to come along to teach you these logical inconsistencies, so that you can compare the two, or even multiple choices to then decide why you do not believe the previous model actually has errors in it...Or why you believe that it had errors in it...

Do you disagree?