Atheists... Your life is pointless

reasoning logic

Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The Catholic church may be many things, but it's not a cult.

Why would you say this? How do you define a cult?
spendius

Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
A bunch of heretics telling selfish people what they wish to hear.

How would you define a cult?
reasoning logic

Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:23 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

This sounds good to me spendius, would you consider the catholic church to be a bunch of heretics?
reasoning logic

Sat 19 Jan, 2013 09:06 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

Not only that but I never heard of anybody being abused nor any suspicion of it. Not sexually I mean.

Are you being serious?

I do not know if it is true but I have been told that a Taiwanese catholic priest had something to do with this boy's talent. Do you know if there is any truth to this claim? because I am not certain if it is true.

0 Replies

tenderfoot

Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, but my way sounds nastier.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:24 pm
@laughoutlood,
There see... after spending 80 years being a atheist I'll now get my just deserts.. I'm so ashamed of bringing into this world 3 Atheist sons and they married 3 atheist wives who made 7 atheist Grandchildren I recon their Satan will have so much fun cooking me for their gods dinner table.
tenderfoot

Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:31 pm
@spendius,
I was born in Hillingdon London, lived in Bath Somerset till I was 14 always used to say "what a load of codswollop " to mean the term after the Gutting of codfish, the wollop was the throw away guts.
cicerone imposter

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 01:50 am
@tenderfoot,
God bless you for your spread of atheism. From a fellow atheist.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 04:23 am
@tenderfoot,
My parents live half way between Bath and Wells. I made most of my friends in Wells. Bath is nice but I've not been there for years.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 05:23 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

This sounds good to me spendius, would you consider the catholic church to be a bunch of heretics?

No. It doesn't tell people what they wish to hear on sexual behaviour and that's the reason you're making all the fuss.

And it isn't preventing you doing what you want to do either.

It was a cult in its beginning.
reasoning logic

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 08:54 am
@spendius,
Quote:
No. It doesn't tell people what they wish to hear on sexual behaviour and that's the reason you're making all the fuss.

If they are not telling you what you wish to hear then why not support a different church that does?

Quote:
It was a cult in its beginning.

So in the beginning it was a cult and then something happened and it became the real thing?
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:20 am
Hey here is a hypocritical atheist whose life is really pointless.

Zardoz

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 09:50 am
@izzythepush,
Izzythepush I beg to differ not only the Catholic Church but all religious organizations are cults. The objective is a cult is to control the thinking of its members. Do you not believe that the very purpose for the Catholic Church to exist is to control the thinking of its followers? I was a member of that cult for 18 years but not for 18 years 1 day. They tried to control my thinking just as all other cults do. Most cults can use social pressure to brainwash their victims but in my case it didn’t work. My family continued to belong to the cult for a few years but they eventually left the cult also. We seldom missed mass and always attended on religious holidays and ate fish on Fridays. I still dislike fish to this day.

Dictionary .com

I would say the Catholic Church fits that definition to a tee. Are there worse religious cults? Yes, but that doesn’t change the facts.

I have never been to Ireland and it would be difficult to pass judgment on the statement that In Irish parochial schools the unmolested are in a minority without reliable statistics but we do know in America child molestation in the Catholic church was of epidemic proportion.

Here are just a few incidences taken from a 2005 Philadelphia grand jury report.

“An 11 year old girl raped by her priest became pregnant and was taken by the priest for an abortion.”

“A Priest told a boy that his mother had agreed to the priest’ repeated rape.”

‘‘A boy who told his father about the abuse his younger brother by a priest was beaten to near unconsciousness by his father, because “priests don’t do that.”

“A boy who woke up intoxicated in a priest’s bed to find the priest sucking on his penis while three other priests watched and masturbated themselves.”

This Grand Jury report continues for another 31 pages.

I escaped going to catholic school by the skin of my teeth. I don’t doubt that the abusers didn’t abuse every child. You know the problem they must have, so many children so little time.

Zardoz

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:08 am
@spendius,
Spendius you are a good cult member. The Catholic Cult paid out $100s of millions in damages. Trials were held and priests were convicted in courts of law where the standard of proof required was beyond a shadow of a doubt. You are in the same class as the Holocaust deniers. It happened and happened frequently and it wasn’t in spite of but because the power structure in a religious cult.

A priest named James Porter was accused by 200 people of rape. Porter sent a letter to the Pope admitting molesting children across five states and asking to be released from the Priesthood. Just because you were not raped by a priest does not mean that others were not Just because you didn’t personally know anybody Auschwitz does not mean it did not take place.
izzythepush

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:18 am
@Zardoz,
You can differ as much as you like, but don't expect to be taken seriously. Most of your posts are hysterical. You've obviously got an axe to grind due to the type of Christianity you experienced earlier in life, but when you make ridiculous statements, expect to be treated like some sort of whackjob.

Catholicism is a major world religion, it only fits the category of cult when you throw reason out of the window. The abuse that some Catholic children were subject to has been well documented. Those who were abused were definitely in the minority. Your response over the Rivers of Babylon has been less than edifying.

There's plenty of things about organised religion that merits criticism regardless of one's belief, but when you make outlandish statements you end up sounding like the nutter on the streetcorner claiming the end of the world is nigh.
spendius

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:45 am
@Zardoz,
I am not a Holocaust denier and it is very remiss of you to suggest that I am. I knew, a few years ago, a British ex-officer who attended all the hearings at Nuremburg.

Nor have I ever denied that some priests have been guilty of certain disgraceful behaviours.

That those regrettable offences took place has no bearing on the Catholic Church except in regard to a degree of complacency which most institutions extend to their members and which are difficult to avoid in an organisation spanning the world.

Mainly, I would say, in the matter of careless recruitment and training possibly driven by a shortage of priests causing a perception in the eyes of men who wish to molest children to see a soft target and who have the ability to act out the duties required satisfactorily.

What you need to do is suggest a way forward with only the secular authorities presiding over our natural tendency to moral depravity, rendering the sale of women passably respectable and conducting our passage from this world to the next with dignity.

You might also consider the child abuse taking place in the world in order that we in the West can continue in the manner we have become accustomed to and which is a fact rather than an accusation. Why you so strenuously focus on what you do is a matter for conjecture.

One has to wonder why Father Porter's first alleged victim did not blow the whistle let alone any of the other 199.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Those who were abused were definitely in the minority.

It is less than 1%...Which is still 1% too high...But I personally believe that this is what Jesus was specifically talking about with the parable of the lost sheep....As well as saying the Bible is meant for a non-believer...

"Luke 15

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

3 Then Jesus told them this parable: 4 “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+15&version=NIV"
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 06:02 pm
Sorry anonymous hater...I think it is wrong to condemn a religion because of what less than 1/10 of 1% of the population actually does...Like Zardoz and others do...Rather than the 99.9% of people...Who do not do these things...But I do think Jesus explained how it is wrong to do this in the Bible like I have said...Which means that people who stand for Jesus and do these things have to accept this...If they do not think it is wrong...Or try to justify it....

If you have the courage to tell me how I am wrong...I am willing to discuss it with you....
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:52 pm
@Val Killmore,
That was an enlightening video you shared and it only seems fair to show that side of him. I kinda like some of what he shares but I have not seen all of what he shares and I have not seen them.

Do you have any trash on this Guy?

0 Replies

FBM

Tue 22 Jan, 2013 01:02 am
You've got a long row to hoe if you want me to join in with the believing crowd.