Atheists... Your life is pointless

spendius

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 05:58 pm
@FBM,
Ah, ah!! An Isis fanatic eh? Bring it on.
Zardoz

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 08:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
Reasoning logic after work and a good six mile jog I found time to locate the book I was referring to on morality. The book is “Moral Minds: How Nature Designed our Universal sense of Right and Wrong” by Marc D. Hauser it is a good read in that it gives one an alternative explanation to the one pandered by religious cults and mystics.

One of the book I am currently reading now is “how to Create a Mind: The secret of Human Thought Revealed” by Ray Kurzwell. It is about the quest to create an artificial mind based on human brain.

Quite simply a code of morality was a step in man’s evolution just as arms and legs were necessary for mankind’s survival so was morality without an inborn moral compass man would have vanished from the face of the earth many thousands of years ago. Without a moral compass civilization would not have been possible. Mankind’s existence is made possible because he adapts to his environment morality was a simple adaptation to his environment. Evolution favored those with a moral compass and those without moral compass were for the most part weeded out.

Along comes the superstitious and takes credit for evolutionary trait. They already took credit for evolution didn’t they? That seems to be there M.O.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 02:28 am
@Setanta,
If Jesus is weeping, I can assure you...it is not because of me calling other people "mate"...It is because of posts like this one...

Quote:
Jesus wept, what's this f*cking "mate" bullshit? You're as phony as a three dollar bill.

Idea 2 Cents
XXSpadeMasterXX

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 02:35 am
@spendius,
Quote:
You see spade. They can't take it. They have only invective as an answer. Nothing that means anything. Except that they can't take it.

I see it Spendi!...And told you I had before, with Farmerman's post about the moon being made of Green cheese...

But I have to be honest here...

I just really do not understand why you do back the Church, but are an atheist as well? And embrace Sophistry? Is it because you back the Church "to control" your own sexual urges? But ultimately do not believe that Jesus Christ is God?

If it is...You do realize that this Church is said to be Jesus?
Setanta

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 02:45 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You never lack ego--as though your boy Jesus will weep over you being told a home truth that you can't handle. Grow up.
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 04:55 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You can't simplify these issues like that spade. This is a momentous culture.

You will have to read, nay--study--, Spengler to find the door. If you don't or won't or can't you will never even be able to peep through the keyhole.

There may be others but I don't know who they might be.

These tin-pot, special pleading, so-called atheists have no idea. They make that very plain with every blurt they post.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 04:57 am
@Setanta,
Why, is what you say, "the Truth"? Can you explain to me, how you know that Jesus is weeping about how phony I am?

Quote:
Jesus wept

And if not...

Quote:
You never lack ego--as though your boy Jesus will weep over you being told a home truth that you can't handle. Grow up.

Why would Jesus weep about how phony I am, but not how Irate you were?

"The truth shall set you free...Thou shall not lie...Love thy neighbor as thyself...Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you...Turn the other cheek...forgive others of their sins, so that your sins be forgiven you"

Where in the bible does it say what I am doing is worthy of weeping from something that is not even real...But what you have done is not also worthy of weeping...And how you know this is true?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:01 am
@spendius,
No offense...But it seemed to me, that all you did was deflect what I had asked you...And did not even give me an explanation as to why you would say you embrace Sophistry...But talked about others, with which I already said I agreed...You can see it very clear...Are you saying you really can not explain why you do embrace Sophistry?
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:11 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You need to have an idea of what sophistry is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophism
XXSpadeMasterXX

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:14 am
@spendius,
I think I did get a look at it before...But I am sure you are correct, as I do not embrace this myself...I will be back in a bit and will check it out...
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:27 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I was not irate, you're not that significant. I've seen you using this "mate" bullshit for quite a while, so i thought i'd point out to you that it is phony--what's more, it's a puerile affectation. Deal with it.

I don't give a rat's ass what it says in your book of religious fairy tales.
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:34 am
@Setanta,
the "mate" was ambiguous imo. I wonder which possibility Setanta is exercising his incredible intelligence on.

It had a near headbutt tone to it for me.
0 Replies

Zardoz

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 05:53 am
Those who cannot accept reality take refuge in superstition and that in itself would not be bad but superstition brings us bigotry, reinforced ignorance, witch burnings and the World Trade Center.
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:02 am
@Setanta,
What's the difference between spade's use of "mate" and Setanta's use of "Boss"?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:05 am
@Zardoz,
But superstition may be considered as a short-hand expression of reality or a system of metaphors distorted by over-use.

What do you see as the origin of superstition?
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:05 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Ah, ah!! An Isis fanatic eh? Bring it on.

Are you being incoherent? That's interesting.
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:38 am
@FBM,
See what you can make of this FB--

http://www.unrv.com/culture/isis.php

But try to remember that those ancients were just as intelligent as we are and had similar material and psychological pre-occupations albeit in different geographical circumstances than those in northern Europe. And sailors were their internet.

Mr Obama's demographic fits nicely with the Roman demographic of the Isis votaries. As is necessary for a man with an uppity wife and two daughters and the electorate having a majority of screeching female malcontents and enlarged when combined with those they have under the cosh. It is a wonder that Mr Romney did as well as he did.

You might notice that the Isis cult in Rome was repressed and encouraged by turns and intuit that the swings between the parties in our world are an atavistic holdover from the past dressed up in much less prettier symbolisms. More humane though.

The uni-sex hair salon and the tight division between Reds and Blues may well represent the principle of synergy at work. That sort of thing is not something the academic historians, of the type Setanta attempts to imitate, take cognizance of.

What the Romans found was that certain types of crises required an extreme shift. One or the other. No half-way jelly-wobbling ****.

The fact that such a shift has not taken place must signify that there is a general public sense that the crisis we are undergoing at the moment is merely a trick to keep us all on the edge of our seats which is the best place to have us when the ads are being screened. The CBS News reporting last night of the cash tills jingling from sea to shining sea to the tune of $51 billion seems to bear out such a conclusion. Just on "Black Monday". The shoppers shown being sheared were of that ilk which gets its Christmas shopping in early to beat the rush. After a brief holiday to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, our Saviour, and by **** He certainly was, there follows the stampede of bargain hunters.

I have something else interesting. It is an ad in The Globe and Commercial Advertiser, New York, Tuesday, March 27, 1923 for the services in St. Patrick's over Easter.

Veblen provides it as a footnote to a a couple of paragraphs concerning the cost of the number of "schools for the training of certified publicity-agents in Divinity and for generating a suitable bias of credulity in the incoming generation, as well as to the mighty multitudes of convents, clubs, camps, infirmaries, retreats, missions, charities, cemetries and periodicals, in whole or in part given over to this work and its personnel , at home and abroad, it will be evident that any of the figures commonly assigned, whether for the material equipment, the receipts and disbursements, or for the operative personnel engaged on the propaganda, should freely be doubled, at least.

The man-power employed in this work of the Propaganda is also more considerable that that engaged in any other calling, except Arms, and possibly Husbandry. Prelates and parsons abound all over the place, in the high, the middle, and the low degree; too many and too diversified, in person, station and nomenclature, and vestments, to be rightly enumerated or described,--bishops, deans, canons, abbots and abbesses, rectors, vicars, curates, monks and nuns, elders, deacons and deaconesses, secretaries, clerks and employees of Y.M.C.A. , Epworth Leagues, Christian Endeavors, etc. , beadles, janitors, sextons, sunday-school teachers, missionaries, writers, editors, printers and vendors of sacred literature, in books, periodicals and ephemera. All told--if it were possible--it will be evident that the aggregate of human talent currently consumed in this fabrication of vendible imponderables in the nth dimension, will foot up to a truly massive total, even after making a reasonable allowance, of, say, some thirty-three and one-third per cent, for average mental deficiency in the personnel which devotes itself to this manner of livlihood*.

*That is the point Mr Veblen inserts the footnote relating to St. Patrick's.

When I have more time I will bring it to you. It's enough to get an agnostic chewing his gums. I can't copy and paste due to copyright restrictions.

Of course, it is all in Rabelais and Balzac and de Sade and many others. If Mr Jervais thinks he's onto something new he is kidding himself. He isn't even any good at pressing the point.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 09:21 am
Sickening. . .
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 09:43 am
@spendius,
I have just a few questions to ask you...And I think I will understand you, and who you are just by your own answers to me...Do you consider your self a wise man?, Or a deceiver? Do you think that you are deceptive?...Or is it others perspectives which call you deceptive?...But you see yourself as wise? In your views? If you think you are deceptive why do you think this is wise? If you think you are wise, but others label you as deceptive... Please explain how you think they are wrong and you are correct? Or is it somewhere in between as in you are unsure? (I read the link, but I am just asking, just in case, and would like to hear how you would explain your views...If you can not explain them still...That answer is fine with me as well...)
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 10:11 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Do you consider your self a wise man?,

No. I have been made a mug of far too often for that.

Quote:
Or a deceiver?

I do my best not to be but if you think I have been deceptive in that post I will be glad if you will say why. I cannot defend myself against your question on its own. It has the look of a smear. It is attempting to associate me with deception without explaining what the deception was. Which I think is a real deception. A kangaroo court job.

Are you a baby eater?

What was wise about the post? It was straightforward and ingenuous. I can't see anything I said or anything Veblen said being anything to get overwrought about.

The meaning of the post was pro-Church in the sense that Veblen hardly caused it to miss a beat and thus a demonstration of the fatuity of the corny attempts on here to denigrate it.

What are your objections?