Atheists... Your life is pointless

Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 12:07 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
As is necessary for a man with an uppity wife and two daughters and the electorate having a majority of screeching female malcontents and enlarged when combined with those they have under the cosh. It is a wonder that Mr Romney did as well as he did.

I am beginning to doubt you have the capacity for regretting any of the stuff you write, Spendius, but if I am wrong, I hope you regret using that highlighted term in your exposition. If you do not regret it...you ought really to.
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 02:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I never thought you would pop out exercising your indignation on behalf of the First Lady Frank.

Quote:
At Princeton, she challenged the teaching methodology for French because she felt that it should be more conversational.

Quote:
Marian Robinson, Michelle's mother, has moved into the White House to assist with child care.

Crikey!!

Quote:
According to the couple’s 2006 income tax return, her salary was $273,618 from the University of Chicago Hospitals, while her husband had a salary of $157,082 from the United States Senate.

Quote:
She says that she negotiated an agreement in which her husband was to give up smoking in exchange for her support of his decision to run.

He should have told her to go jump in the lake.

Quote:
The change was even reflected in her fashion choices, wearing more informal clothes in place of her previous designer pieces.

That's called patronising the proles.

Quote:
as the press began to emphasize her sarcasm, she toned it down.

How to win friends and influence people.

Quote:
During her early months as First Lady, she visited homeless shelters and soup kitchens.

As long as there were cameras present.

I should have said "ceiling transcending uppity".
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 03:53 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I should have said "ceiling transcending uppity".

If you are the person of character that I suppose you to be, you ought to regret having used the word "uppity" in any form.
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 04:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What's up with it Frank. It is a well established word in the language and I have seen and heard it used many times in respect of ladies who are amateurs at uppity compared to the delicate lady on whose behalf you are entering the lists in order to give your half-baked gallantry a little exercise.

Are you suggesting Mrs Obama is downity or just average?

She has introduced bees to the White House garden to provide an alternative to sugar at State Banquets. And honey is all sugar.

And I have been told that there are only blow-flies in Washington.
spendius

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 04:06 pm
@spendius,
There has been an ad on this page marketing gold.

That's pretty funny on an atheist thread considering that the value of gold is based entirely upon spiritual considerations.
reasoning logic

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 07:43 pm
@Zardoz,
Quote:
Reasoning logic after work and a good six mile jog I found time to locate the book I was referring to on morality.

That is great, I wish I could do the same. Six miles? That is fabulous. If you want to have a better understanding of moral philosophy I would recommend a little less time running and a little more time studying it.

We all get morality wrong but the more we study it the better we become understanding it. Kind of like anything else we do.

Tell me something? How much more could someone be worth per hour than your own mother being she maybe more intellectually challenged, environmentally challenged, or physically challenged than them, "regardless if she gives all that she has to offer?
RST

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:04 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
If you want to have a better understanding of moral philosophy I would recommend a little less time running and a little more time studying it.

What a lame insult. You can do better than that, you jealous twit.

Quote:
We all get morality wrong but the more we study it the better we become understanding it. Kind of like anything else we do.

Tell me something? How much more could someone be worth per hour than your own mother being she maybe more intellectually challenged, environmentally challenged, or physically challenged than them, "regardless if she gives all that she has to offer?

You could've just said you disagree with him. The trend of not giving a straight forward answer is a bit douchey.
reasoning logic

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:07 pm
@RST,

Quote:
What a lame insult. You can do better than that, you jealous twit.

Please go into detail.
RST

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm sorry, that's not one of the services I offer.
0 Replies

Zardoz

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:58 pm
@RST,
Reasoning Logic actually the facts have come light recently that physical activity may be the most important factor in improving ones mental agility into old age. I have been a competing in organized races since 1986. My dad had a heart attack in his early 50s I realized if I didn’t change my life style I was looking at my future. I started running 26 years ago and never stopped. At 58 I did my first Tri Athlon. I have won two duathlons in my age group since I turned 60. I run year round and do 50 races a year ranging from 5Ks to 15 miles. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to remain mentally sharp. Both your mind and body need to be physically active, whether you swim, walk, bike or lift weights and I do all of those, you need to do something.

After a stress full day a long runs removes the stress chemicals and you get a good night’s sleep. I am competitive and no matter what level you run at there is always someone to beat. I love a long race in August you often catch the 30 year old weight lifters about 6 miles in you can tell they put a lot of work into staying in shape. When they look over and realize that they are about to be out run by somebody their grandfather’s age they speed up but after a few times they have to concede the race. I am 10 years past the age my father had his heart attack and I went for my first physical since I went out for track in junior high last summer. I did not have or need a doctor for 45 years. My numbers were not just good they were perfect and the doctor was duly impressed and said I was going to live for a long time.
Unfortunately the importance of physical activity has taken a back seat in the baby Boomers generation we are only now beginning to understand how truly important physical activity is to both the mind and body.

I really don’t get your question. My mother was head nurse of the intensive care unit at a local hospital and made a good living at the end of her career. She is still active and manages her rental property.

Do you really believe that all morality springs from Middle East Mysticism? Or some other form of Mysticism. If that is your premise than the existence of morality in someone who is not a member of a religious cult would easily disprove your premise and that in fact is the case. Many people who are not members of a religious cult are good moral people and many people who are not only members but teachers in religious cults are convicted felony. So it is obvious to even the most dense that religious cults are not the source nor fountainhead of morality.

XXSpadeMasterXX

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 01:55 am
@spendius,
Quote:
No. I have been made a mug of far too often for that.

So then you value other peoples perspectives? And think that they are important enough to you for you to "think" you are wise? Or not? And their opinions are worthy of considerations?

Quote:
I do my best not to be but if you think I have been deceptive in that post

I am not sure if this is a typo or not...And you mean post...Or in the past...

It could very well be...That you put that in there, on purpose, to be deceptive, and challenge me...As a theist...But I already think I know you...And I do not need to think about it for that long to know how I feel, or if it even matters...

I did not find that you were in that post...But yes I think we all have been in the past...Whether we were trying to be or not...Or know we do so or do not...

If you consider my positions about you to understand if you are a wise man or deceptive...

I have told you before...That backing the Church...And not embracing Jesus really means nothing...And to then insult Christians, or tell them how they fall short is deceptive...And you do more harm for atheism than you try to promote...Cause they too can sniff out the Sophistry...And since they have no belief, are the ones who can only be fooled in the long run anyways...And it destroys your objectives...For if theism's are correct...You can't deceive people forever...And if atheism is correct...You can only try to be deceptive to theists while we are here...And think you are wise for doing it...right now...But it ultimately will make no difference as we will have no afterlife to see you had deceived anyone, or how wise you think you were...Or how wise they think you are...If you believe you deceive people...

Now I am willing to hear you explain how you think I have been deceptive, in the past...And how you think I would consider myself "wise" from doing it? Or how I may see myself as a wise man...But am deceptive...Once more, so I can think about it here, and not have to go through hundreds of posts...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 02:16 am
@spendius,
And furthermore, I do not agree with a lot of what certain people say that ignore you...But I understand why they do so...It is not because you outwit them...Only a deceptive person would think this way...

It is because they too can sniff out the Sophistry you play...And have more self dignity and respect than to do so...And they tell people straight out that they believe that God is bullshit...Or does not exist and why...And you do not do so yourself...

I agree with you that many of their arguments are silly rants that go nowhere, but it is only because I believe you deceive the people you ultimately are not trying too, like I said I think you do...

And only a wise person would see this and a deceptive would not...

Do you realize this?, And it is just a part of the Sophistry?...

I am not sure yet...But I think I will know soon enough...
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 05:58 am
@Zardoz,
Quote:
Many people who are not members of a religious cult are good moral people and many people who are not only members but teachers in religious cults are convicted felony. So it is obvious to even the most dense that religious cults are not the source nor fountainhead of morality.

I don't think you can draw that conclusion from those premisses. "Many people" is a bit dodgy for a start. And those who are decent people and not members of a religious cult may be influenced by the mores of those who are members.

You also imply that those who appear to be members or teachers in a religious cult actually are members in a personal sense which they may not be. Their membership may be just a strategy.

The notion of "good moral people" derives from the usual situations in life where pressure is not particularly strong. It is a question of good moral behaviour under strong pressure that is important. Most people in prison are good most of the time. They, in the main, lapsed under some pressure. The weaker the morality is the more likely the lapses will take place under lesser pressures and then legality has to be applied if the behaviours are inimical to group survival.

Morality is right and proper behaviour. That varies considerably in different times and places. When we talk of morality we have to be meaning Christian morality because otherwise we have no basis for a discussion. The idea of public execution with torture, which persisted in our world into the 19th century, could be seen as moral because the intention was to deter others from the committing the same actions as the victim. Even now, in the USA, that is the main argument for capital punishment.

The NFL might be seen as immoral from certain points of view.

In the last analysis moralities are pragmatic. They are thought by those imposing them to be useful in terms of group survival. Suppose the ladies organised a fertility strike effectively. Could we morally justify preventing them organising one? And if not how long could we hold out against their demands? Aristophanes broached the notion in 411 BCE.

Would rape be positively encouraged rather than us dealing with the dire consequences of such a thing. Or compulsory AID and abortion illegal.

Morality, and the methods of imposing one, is a very complex subject. Attempts to impose moralities on the financial and media industries are exercising the great and the good here to almost the exclusion of anything else.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 07:14 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
So then you value other peoples perspectives? And think that they are important enough to you for you to "think" you are wise? Or not? And their opinions are worthy of considerations?

Why do you keep going on about whether I think I am wise? I never give the notion a moment's thought.

Of course I value other people's perspectives. I'm not a hermit. I only ever question other people's perspectives when they publicly preach them and thus imply that everybody should adopt them. I expect others to question anything I say in that regard.

Atheists run away from the question as to whether they want everybody to become atheists. And yet they preach atheism despite that being the first question that comes to mind when they do so. They will not be drawn into defending it. I will defend anything I say. I won't use Ignore to evade any questions. It's wimpy. It loses the argument bluster notwithstanding. To think that using Ignore is clever implies a gross underestimation of A2Kers. When they boast of having me on Ignore it can only impress those they have correctly underestimated.

Quote:
I am not sure if this is a typo or not...And you mean post...Or in the past...

It meant that I do my best not to be deceptive but if you think I had been in that post I would be very glad if you would explain why you thought so. In the absence of such an explanation I think using the word "deceptive" in that context was deceptive. It suggested that I had been deceptive with nothing but an assertion. It was a "have you stopped beating your wife" type of question.

Quote:
That you put that in there, on purpose, to be deceptive,

What? Where? When? Don't lay that **** on me without any explanation. I can give as good as I get at that game if I choose to do.

Plenty of atheists support the teachings of the Catholic Church because they have thought through what happens to society if those teachings are set aside.

It is deceptive to promote the teaching of evolution in schools and then censor out the Handicap Principle and that it is a "devil take the hindmost" doctrine. If teaching evolution in schools is justified by science then all the science should be included and not just the innocuous aspects such as those Prof. Forrest can deal with.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 07:52 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5179401)
What's up with it Frank. It is a well established word in the language and I have seen and heard it used many times in respect of ladies who are amateurs at uppity compared to the delicate lady on whose behalf you are entering the lists in order to give your half-baked gallantry a little exercise.

Are you suggesting Mrs Obama is downity or just average?

She has introduced bees to the White House garden to provide an alternative to sugar at State Banquets. And honey is all sugar.

And I have been told that there are only blow-flies in Washington.

Spendius,

“Uppity” is a word coined by Joel Chandler Harris. It was hijacked by individuals to use as a pejorative against humans who had the poor taste to be born with the wrong skin color…and who dared to assert themselves in ways that users of the word considered to be “acting outside of a 'Negro’s' place.” That, Spendius, is the way it is used almost exclusive these days…and I suspect you know that.

There is a Bloke variant (uppish) that probably would also be considered in poor taste if used against a black female.

This kind of racist crap is beneath you. You ought really to acknowledge that and then we can abandon this sidebar and allow the good folk posting here to continue insulting each other.
spendius

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 08:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
That Mrs Obama is black did not enter my mind. The vast majority of uppity or pushy women are white.

In some respects it was a compliment.

You must be racist to confine the definition to black people. As far as I know there is no racial prejudice in South America but you can bet they have their share of uppity women.

I would say that any student who arrives at Princeton and starts lecturing the institution on how to teach French is uppity whatever their skin colour.
Frank Apisa

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 08:50 am
@spendius,
As I said earlier, Spendius, "If you are the person of character that I suppose you to be, you ought to regret having used the word "uppity" in any form."

You do not regret it...so I guess you are not the person of character I supposed you were.

izzythepush

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 09:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
In Spendi's defence, the word 'uppity' does not have the same racist connotations this side of the pond.
spendius

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 09:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
As I said earlier, Spendius, "If you are the person of character that I suppose you to be, you ought to regret having used the word "uppity" in any form."

You do not regret it...so I guess you are not the person of character I supposed you were.

That is pure nonsense Frank. Deal with the attempt to revolutionise the teaching of French at Princeton eh? As a signifier of a uppity personality at the budding stage.

If you knew what the word "sadism" actually means, the imposition of the ego on its surroundings, you might thank me for using a less dramatic word.
Frank Apisa

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 09:46 am
@izzythepush,
I think Spendius knew exactly what he was doing...stirring up a racist pot with the use of that word to see who would bite.

I am indulging him.
0 Replies