Atheists... Your life is pointless

BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:44 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And who sets limits to the courts and the police?

In the West it is the Lawmakers we elected now what other silly question are you going to come up with?
reasoning logic

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:58 pm
@BillRM,
Spendius may be referring to what Bush said I for get how it goes but something like this! "We need common-sense judges who understand our rights were derived from God ... I found it!
0 Replies

Ionus

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:56 am
@BillRM,
They enforced the law... why are you judging people by todays standards ? The French Revolution were atheists, as were Communists and Nazis... they killed people too . Does that mean Atheism is a failed doctrine ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:59 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
My point is such a god is almost the perfect idea of evil and there is no logic in loving such a creature and only reason to worship this being is fear of hellfire if you do not.
There are many Christians who agree with you... but do you think God really is evil or is it just man's understanding is wrong ?
Ionus

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:00 am
@Arella Mae,
I got it from Barbara Thiering .
0 Replies

roger

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:06 am
@Ionus,
Whether or not God is evil, or even reasonable has nothing to do with his existance. Personally, I don't believe in any part of it, but that simply isn't an argument.
Ionus

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:11 am
@roger,
By definition God is not evil . However, many of the acts attributed to God show how misrepresenting the Bible is, especially the Old Testament .
roger

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:24 am
@Ionus,
You will have to understand that a Christian's definition of God as Good doesn't carry a lot of weight with an atheist. Anyway, in neither case and by whatever definition, God's goodness or evilness has absolutely nothing to do with his existance. He is or he isn't.
BillRM

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 05:00 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
but do you think God really is evil or is it just man's understanding is wrong ?

The god in the bible is evil and a very small god for caring about one life form in the universe and whether that life form work on one day of the week or have gay sex or allow their children to talk back to them.

So the short answer is that such a god chance of having any real existed is so tiny as not be be worth considering however if such a being as picture in the bible did exist he or it would be an evil creature indeed.
0 Replies

Krumple

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 05:27 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You will have to understand that a Christian's definition of God as Good doesn't carry a lot of weight with an atheist. Anyway, in neither case and by whatever definition, God's goodness or evilness has absolutely nothing to do with his existance. He is or he isn't.

Also the history of the old testament is ignored by most christians. We know that there were tribes of jews that each had their own gods at their heads. It just happened that the cult of jahweh were a little more clever and started a campaign to make their god take over all the other clans gods.

A great video to check out is:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Evid3nc3#p/u/6/MlnnWbkMlbg
cicerone imposter

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:28 pm
@Krumple,
Interesting, but what evidence do we have that the message in that video are true? There are a many claims made, but I didn't see the supporting sources for it.
Krumple

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Interesting, but what evidence do we have that the message in that video are true? There are a many claims made, but I didn't see the supporting sources for it.

There are a lot of sources. The person who made that video is actually recounting his de-conversion from being a pretty devout christian. He explains that he was taking college courses and did actual research himself as well as had a college professor who he at first objected with. He is honest in his recounting of his findings. If you don't believe that is true watch his whole video series if you can make the time because it will explain his position and his reference sources.

There are many books out on the topic of the origins and history of the bible both new and old testament. I am currently reading three books on the subject myself. The problem is, if you want to discredit any work on the subject and try to claim that is untrustworthy then everything is untrustworthy.
cicerone imposter

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 05:32 pm
@Krumple,
I'm not claiming or even suggesting nothing is credit-worthy. Even the part about Jewish slaves in Egypt has been proven to be fiction based on discoveries made that the majority of workers were Egyptian - and not Jews. I know this from having visited Egypt twice, and visiting and reading about the pyramids.

I will admit that I did not watch the whole video, but will within the next day or two. I will take notes to see if what is claimed can be supported by other sources. I'm always open to new information or revelations about history.

izzythepush

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 05:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Terry Jones of Monty Python fame did a series on ancient cultures. His series on the Egyptians included a work rota from the construction of the Great Pyramid. One labourer took the day off to brew beer. Hardly a harsh, slave-whipping society.
0 Replies

Krumple

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm not claiming or even suggesting nothing is credit-worthy. Even the part about Jewish slaves in Egypt has been proven to be fiction based on discoveries made that the majority of workers were Egyptian - and not Jews. I know this from having visited Egypt twice, and visiting and reading about the pyramids.

I find it an interesting topic myself.

cicerone imposter wrote:

I will admit that I did not watch the whole video, but will within the next day or two. I will take notes to see if what is claimed can be supported by other sources. I'm always open to new information or revelations about history.

Noted and I wasn't trying to attack you with my last comment, it was me trying to cover my basis. I often hear that writers who critique the bible are untrustworthy so I felt the need to add that bit.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:08 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

By definition God is not evil . However, many of the acts attributed to God show how misrepresenting the Bible is, especially the Old Testament .

You claim to know the bible misrepresents god? You have a better source at hand?
BillRM

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:14 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
You claim to know the bible misrepresents god? You have a better source at hand?

You got to be kidding me as a lot of books concerning god exist beside the bible and the bible have no factorial grounds to claimed to be more accurate then the others.
reasoning logic

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:25 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
You got to be kidding me as a lot of books concerning god exist beside the bible

They are all the absolute truth about God you just need to have enough faith! Drunk
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:03 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, many gods before the Jewish/christian/muslim gods existed, and were written about. The christian and muslim god were written many decades after the events as described in the bible/quran. There is nothing to support the bible - except the bible.

Why is there not more written records of jesus' or other bible characters' miracles when they were performed before thousands? Don't you find that strange? Were all the miracles performed in isolation? How about the bread and fishes?
reasoning logic

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You always bring forth some good points! When the majority of our population is able to see as you then we will have less of these huge problems that man faces about truth and fiction!
0 Replies