Atheists... Your life is pointless

cicerone imposter

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:37 am
@Chights47,
What you seem to miss like all christians are the many contradictions in the bible. In one breath, god says "thou shalt not kill." In the next breath, god says it's okay to kill parents, siblings, and children. Aren't you confused at all? After all, they are all "the word of god."

From Deuteronomy.
Quote:
At God's instructions, the Israelites "utterly destroyed the men, women, and the little ones" leaving "none to remain." 2:33-36
Chights47

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 10:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
What you seem to miss like all christians are the many contradictions in the bible.
First of all, I'm not a Christian, and secondly, you're half wrong about the contradictions. You forget (or don't know) that Christianity is a religion of interpretation so all that needs to be done to make all of those contradictions null and void, is to just irrationally rationalize then into being something that may work. There's actually at least one website devoted to attempting to rationalizing Christianity: http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/contradictions.html
cicerone imposter

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 10:26 am
@Chights47,
You have lost any sense of logic with your "beliefs." Contradictions are contradictions; trying to rationalize them is tantamount to idiocy.

Arella Mae

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 10:40 am
@spendius,
I have him on ignore. You have much more patience than I do and I don't want to get sucked into that cesspool of his again.
0 Replies

Chights47

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
I have lost all respect for any amount of intellegence that I once thought that you had...I clearly stated in the first 7 words of my post that I'm not a Christian. I guess it's not painfully obvious enough for you, but that means that I'M NOT CHRISTIAN. I also clearly stated that Christians IRRATIONALLY RATIONALIZE these contradictions in order to make them work. Either way you spin it, you're an idiot. You're either are too caught up in your own ego to actually notice what someone actually says, or you're just plain stupid and don't understand...sorry for being so blunt but I'm trying to make sure that it actually gets through to you.
0 Replies

thomas-b

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 11:26 am
@John Creasy,
Atheists are in the same situation we all are. And I think for the most part, they are just choosing the paradigm of reality that is reasonable for them. Consider that a lot of people have bad experiences with religion, often fundamentalism, that turns them off of religion.
So many atheists turn to an ethical system like Humanism or something similar. The notion that atheism holds to the creed of survival of the fittest has been greatly challenged. In nature, you can see that symbiosis plays a part in the natural processes. Plus the benefits of human cooperation and positive social interaction might be seen as new developments in the evolutionary process.
In the end, I think religious conservatism has created more atheists with its strict views on a strange creation story and a God who wants to send people to hell.
I actually think we'll see a change in religious thought brought on by this conflict. People within religions used to discuss theology and try to discern what was reasonable in the context of the times they were living in. Religious conservatism has really forced everyone into a corner on this for now.
spendius

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:23 pm
@thomas-b,
Quote:
Atheists are in the same situation we all are. And I think for the most part, they are just choosing the paradigm of reality that is reasonable for them.

On what basis do you think they make this choice? And is it chosen because it fits the "paradigm of reality" they have. And how many paradigms of reality are there that can be made to mesh with it?

If the populations of the last 10 centuries had such a choice would we be where we are now?

Isn't feeling free to make such a choice at the root of the vast conspiracy now engulfing the media empire of Rupert Murdoch in the UK and possibly spilling over into the US? Talking about the building having fallen down is no use when nobody looks at the foundations. All most of them are doing is taking care of their backs.

Quote:
The notion that atheism holds to the creed of survival of the fittest has been greatly challenged.

Natch, but has the challenge succeeded?

Quote:
In nature, you can see that symbiosis plays a part in the natural processes.

An evolved mechanism to ensure survival of each but not co-operation as we understand it. That is mindless symbiosis tom. So you're getting a bit anthropomorphic. A philosophically untenable position.

The rhinos that didn't like having a flying toothpick died out because their teeth rotted quicker than the odd-ball rhino that liked it and thus they copulated for a shorter time. I mean of course a shorter period before the sell-by date. Not the individual copulations. Which are, btw, surprisingly short for such a large animal.

Hence the ones you see in the feechewing videos on TV having their teeth picked, an anthropomorphism I'm aware of but a proper explanation would take too long for a short post such as this is intended to be, are just as explicable as them rolling in the mud or sporting a horn. The genes of the one oddball rhino that liked having its teeth picked clean (sorry) are all there is left in the world which should be a good way to flog dental floss. So what is described as evolution is merely saying what it is now. The result is described. That's all. Not the how, or the why, or the whence, or the wherefore.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:24 pm
@thomas-b,
Quote:
Atheists are in the same situation we all are. And I think for the most part, they are just choosing the paradigm of reality that is reasonable for them. Consider that a lot of people have bad experiences with religion, often fundamentalism, that turns them off of religion.
So many atheists turn to an ethical system like Humanism or something similar. The notion that atheism holds to the creed of survival of the fittest has been greatly challenged. In nature, you can see that symbiosis plays a part in the natural processes. Plus the benefits of human cooperation and positive social interaction might be seen as new developments in the evolutionary process.

I got turn off by religion by simple logic as a ten years old concerning the bible stories or so and then by reading the bible and being shock at the actions of people in the bible who the bible declared as good people such as Moses.

As far as the creed of survival of the fittest that is claimed can only be the be foundation of atheists this in nonsense as humans are pack animals not single hunters and we have the morals of pack animals wire into us as a result.

spendius

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:12 pm
@BillRM,
Which is why it is necessary to have some artificial inhibiting force to set up against the morals of pack animals if progress is to be made. And why it is necessary to give that inhibiting force strength.

Evolution gave pack animal morals a good long go at things. About 2 million years I gather. Can a pack of 308 million animals be held together with pack animal morals?
reasoning logic

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:16 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Can a pack of 308 million animals be held together with pack animal morals?

Welcome to reality Spendius! How do you like our pack animal morals so far?
orrisn

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:26 pm
@John Creasy,
I'm glad so many people have religion to keep them from being more cruel and evil than they are. Fortunately, we can choose to be kind without the help of imaginary guides. It's too bad some people are cruel with their god or without their god.
spendius

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
Tasteless. Lacking in decorum. Naff.

It's the same here.

Everybody is falling over backwards to stress that most journalists are decent and honourable people and not to be judged on the basis of this scrum of journalists we are having revealed to us here and if one priest gets accused of feeling up a pant leg the whole Catholic Church is made to tremble by the selfsame outfits they are thieving for.

That's really bloody tasteless.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:42 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Can a pack of 308 million animals be held together with pack animal morals?

Try adding human self interest and human intellect instead of fantasies that is insulting to a ten years old child,

Depending on the brain washing of children before they reach the age of reason to hold a society together had have a large numbers of drawbacks to say the least.
BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:43 pm
@orrisn,
Quote:
we can choose to be kind without the help of imaginary guides. It's too bad some people are cruel with their god or without their god.

That why we have courts and police and laws as a means of setting limits.
cicerone imposter

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:45 pm
@BillRM,
Is hindsight always 20/20? When the bible was written, did they have police and courts?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:06 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Try adding human self interest and human intellect instead of fantasies that is insulting to a ten years old child.

So should we put 10 year old children in charge? Sex lessons for 10 year olds are insulting too. As if arousal is a given. Star Trek is insulting to everybody unless a deeper meaning is involved. So are movies.

Anybody still living with what he thought at 10 is a bit slow on the uptake.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:08 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
That why we have courts and police and laws as a means of setting limits.

And who sets limits to the courts and the police?
reasoning logic

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:18 pm
@spendius,
I would have thought that you would have known it was all of us pack animals
spendius

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
And I would have thought that you knew better rl. You are one "to whom it is done" if I may quote Lenin.
reasoning logic

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:36 pm
@spendius,
If you can show evidence of the best formed society I will jump on board with one exception I would like to keep an open mind and to continue social experiments because I know that I can be wrong!

Do you know that you can be wrong or is your view of the world set in stone?
0 Replies