Atheists... Your life is pointless

reasoning logic

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 06:30 pm
@Arella Mae,
I have no problem with Jesus and I do see in effort to clean up the bible with the new testament. I do know of a few disturbing things Jesus had supposedly said but I like to think that someone put them in there and that Jesus did not say them!

The torah has been cleaned up a bet itself if you read about how slaves should be treated.

I can think of other christian books that seem less violent in my opinion like janette oake love comes softly have you read it? It is much better than the movie!

I like this very short video for some reason it reminds me of that book even though it has nothing to do with it!

BillRM

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 06:30 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
You are like many people. You pick the parts that you like and don't usually bother to try to understand the parts you don't like.

An you would love to pretend that half the bible does not exist and the drowning of 99.99999999999 percent of the human race was no big deal.

You are concern about one child dying perhaps by drowning on this website but the claimed drowning of countless little children is not a problem to you as long as your evil god did it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 06:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
As I said, you pick the parts you like.
reasoning logic

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 06:57 pm
@Arella Mae,
I am not so sure that I pick them! If they seem moral to me they jump out at me not that I wish to chose it, its just the way it seems to me!
Is it wrong for me to think that a woman should have the same rights as I do or should they be a man's property?
That was one good way of having your slave become your property for life. If you owned is children and his wife and if your male slave wanted to stay with them for life he could go with you to the temple and have his ear pierced and that would show the bond that you and your male slave has and he will be your property for life!
Do you think that we may have had hybrid slaves? The dumber and stronger the better?
0 Replies

Chights47

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:04 pm
@reasoning logic,
You state that you might be all for it if you got rid of the negative parts. This implies that there are both negative and positive parts. You stated yourself that Jesus is a good example to follow regardless of whether he existed or not. This is all I'm trying to state, there is both good and bad with the bible while most is just interpretation (although some are clearly one way or another). BillRM seems to claim that every single word is just dripping with evil when this isn't the case at all. Regardless of whether this religion is true or not it does both positive and negative. There are many different charities that help people all around the world and help spread peace and understanding yet BillRM would rather just throw away all of those because of his bias and ignorance.
reasoning logic

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:10 pm
@Chights47,
I think you may be being a little hard on bill just as he seems to be being a little hard on others!

I doubt that bill thinks that every part of it is bad, at least I would not think so!

Do you think that he would say that thou shalt not kill is bad?
Chights47

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm sure that he wouldn't say that killing isn't bad, but if someone quoted that from the bible then I'm sure he would find a way to make it a negative.
reasoning logic

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:21 pm
@Chights47,
Well if you are correct I think that you have given bill something to think about.
I would hope that if he did think that way he would at least consider what you have just said!
Chights47

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
I doubt it, he reminds me a little bit of an atheist version of Rev Ernest Poe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWSOxpOJxAE
0 Replies

Ionus

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:17 am
@BillRM,
No, such as not killing your neighbour, nor covetting his possessions, nor his wife...COVETTING, William....covetting means thinking of it . For the first time we must exercise control over our thoughts before they control our actions .

Such as not telling lies....

Such as having one day off a week so you dont kill yourself AND your slaves...

Previously you could kill a lesser ranked person and pay a fine.... but an eye for an eye means no matter what their rank you will suffer the same fate..

Over 3,000 years ago... what were your scientists doing then ?
Ionus

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:20 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
....taking over another tribe lands and then killing defenseless women and the children in the mothers arms? Keeping alive only the young women who had yet to know a man.
History... not morality, not science but history . And the story could be told to discuss whether they did the right thing or whether it was wrong .
Ionus

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:23 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
You can created a G rated bible by cutting and pasting but if you view the bible as a whole it paint a sick and evil god that no sane person would love and would only worship under the threat of hell fire.
Show me where God is sick and evil.... and I will show you where men did evil and blamed God . Do you really think God wrote the Bible ? You would make a great fundamentalist if you do...
Ionus

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:25 am
@BillRM,
The money changers were there because large sums of money came in from the Diaspora . They wanted someone to buy a sacrificial animal for them and offer it to God . Jesus blamed the money changers because his prophecy was not fulfilled, therefore he couldnt claim to be the Messiah .
BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 04:56 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

No it is not a bad idea however I find it amusing that after his meeting with god and bringing the commandments down from the mountain he order massive killings within the tribe.

That part of the story is hardly ever cover.
BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 04:58 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Such as having one day off a week so you dont kill yourself AND your slaves...

And if you did not take the day off they would kill you for not doing so as Moses order a man picking up firewood kill.
BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:00 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
And the story could be told to discuss whether they did the right thing or whether it was wrong .

This was a people and a leader under the direct protection of god.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 06:20 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Do you really think God wrote the Bible ? You would make a great fundamentalist if you do...

I think the whole idea is a fantasy however I am addressing this to Christians who believe in the bible and the god as picture in that book.

My point is such a god is almost the perfect idea of evil and there is no logic in loving such a creature and only reason to worship this being is fear of hellfire if you do not.
Arella Mae

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:01 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

The money changers were there because large sums of money came in from the Diaspora . They wanted someone to buy a sacrificial animal for them and offer it to God . Jesus blamed the money changers because his prophecy was not fulfilled, therefore he couldnt claim to be the Messiah .

Where do you get "Jesus blamed the money changers because his prophecy was not fulfilled"? He was angry because they were selling the animals for sacrifice in HIS house. He said they had made his house into a den of thieves.

Quote:
Matthew 21:12 - And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, 13 - And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.
spendius

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:30 am
@Arella Mae,
There was institutionalised temple prostitution as well. The casting out was symbolic of a separation of the sacred from the mundane. From Mammon, materialism and debauch.

Intelligent atheists must be tearing their hair out at the way Bill is representing them on here. His subjectivity is gross. And the arrogance of thinking he is taking on 2,000 years of Christianity, and of thinking that he is qualified for such a task, is preposterous.

He seemingly knows nothing about what the OT eradicated from the world and he obviously believes we would be where we are now without it having been. He's into playpen theology.

How does one spend nearly 20 years within an expensive educational system and end up with such a woefully inadequate sense of history. It's as if he thinks that the last 5,000 years were one of yesterday's TV documentaries.
Chights47

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:00 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

No it is not a bad idea however I find it amusing that after his meeting with god and bringing the commandments down from the mountain he order massive killings within the tribe.

That part of the story is hardly ever cover.
What about these examples?

2 Peter Chapter 1: 2. Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord.

James Chapter 2: 10. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all. 11. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

Psalms Chapter 37: 8. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

Luke Chapter 6: 27. But I say unto you which hear, love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,28. Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

There are many more examples of morality through out the Bible but I didn't feel like listing all of them or taking up that much room.