what tipe of religion are you

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
Have to admit that I knew next to nothing about Jainism. I found this on Beliefnet, and don't think that it is a religion with which most westerners would be comfortable.

I had a thought. If the Jains believe in not destroying anything living, including microbes, I would assume that they would not approve of antibiotics, surgery, or even cancer treatments. Anybody have any knowledge about this? They also survive through begging. I doubt that most people would find this an acceptable existence.

Quote:
Main Tenets: Jains reject belief in a creator god and seek release from endless reincarnation through a life of strict self-denial. The title of Jina is given to those who are believed to have triumphed over all material existence. As all human activity accumulates karma, the force that perpetuates reincarnation, the only way to free one's jiva, or soul, from the bondage of material existence is by reducing this activity through ascetic practice. In addition, Jainism places a special emphasis on ahimsa ("non-injury") to all living beings. The concern for life is extended to all creatures, even minute microbes that are not visible. The Jain ideal is a mendicant ascetic who takes extreme measures to avoid injuring all creatures. Monks and nuns are sometimes seen with muslin cloths over their mouths to keep out flying insects, and they are enjoined to use small brooms to gently sweep away living creatures from their path, so as to not accidentally crush them.

http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10040.html
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:40 am
brahmin wrote:
pm me on yahoo for the "secret" to be "revealed" Wink
I wish I could but I don't have privelage to use PM. Sad

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Have to admit that I knew next to nothing about Jainism. I found this on Beliefnet, and don't think that it is a religion with which most westerners would be comfortable.

I had a thought. If the Jains believe in not destroying anything living, including microbes, I would assume that they would not approve of antibiotics, surgery, or even cancer treatments. Anybody have any knowledge about this? They also survive through begging. I doubt that most people would find this an acceptable existence.

Quote:
Main Tenets: Jains reject belief in a creator god and seek release from endless reincarnation through a life of strict self-denial. The title of Jina is given to those who are believed to have triumphed over all material existence. As all human activity accumulates karma, the force that perpetuates reincarnation, the only way to free one's jiva, or soul, from the bondage of material existence is by reducing this activity through ascetic practice. In addition, Jainism places a special emphasis on ahimsa ("non-injury") to all living beings. The concern for life is extended to all creatures, even minute microbes that are not visible. The Jain ideal is a mendicant ascetic who takes extreme measures to avoid injuring all creatures. Monks and nuns are sometimes seen with muslin cloths over their mouths to keep out flying insects, and they are enjoined to use small brooms to gently sweep away living creatures from their path, so as to not accidentally crush them.

http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10040.html

Well they probably wouldn't approve of such medication. People are really not up-to-date with such info. Majority of Jains probably don't even know about what goes into antibiotics. They probably don't even know that by washing themselves they are killing bacteria and stuff lol Razz As for begging, no, I don't believe this is the case unless they are a monk.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:47 am
pm me ON YAHOO i said.... Smile

i am not allowed to use pm either...

click on the red coloured "Y!" below my post contents.
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:55 am
brahmin wrote:
pm me ON YAHOO i said.... Smile

i am not allowed to use pm either...

click on the red coloured "Y!" below my post contents.
I haven't got any of that... Sad I still haven't got round to downloading Yahoo....Arrow My email: http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9802/d0wc.png
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:58 am
okies.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Religion seperates good men from eachother.good men need to comune undiluted to serve man and thus serve god.I have no reigion its inhumane
0 Replies